The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hm...well my boyfriend's at St. Peter's and in his college handbook it says that guests aren't allowed in rooms for 'health and safety' reasons and that if you want someone to stay they have to rent a room off the college itself....but he's been there a term now and I stay for a couple of nights every two weeks and, tbh, they have no way of telling and I doubt anyone actually cares! I've heard that other colleges like you to register the name of the person staying with you for the fire reason but no one does that either, really. I'm going to St. Anne's next year and according to a current second year, they don't really have any rules either way. :smile: xx
Yeah, same question. I am going to LMH. What about having someone sleep over every other week-end or so?
Thanks for the answer. have to learn to type more quickly
See no evil, hear no evil...

It's usually no problem having people round to stay: in fact someone I know has a pumpable electric air bed that gets used by our visitors quite frequently. Technically people staying are supposed to sign in and out at the college lodge, ostensibly in the event of a fire, but in practice it doesn't happen.

A week is a long time though, and I'd be surprised if you had time to look after a visitor and get your week's work done as well. The secret is to get on the good side of your scout so they don't report your apparently semi-permanent visitor, and don't surprise you at inopportune moments.
Reply 5
Signing visitors in is like signing yourself out if you go home for a weekend in term time - no one bothers! Plenty of people at Wadham seem to have their other halfs to stay every weekend, occaisionally for long periods mid-week (although they generally have to work frantically the days before and after so they can make the most of their guest's time there). I know Cambridge isn't quite the same, but the porters at Robinson didn't care that I spent two nights on my friend's floor unsigned-in.
Reply 6
Do you know who is the 'scout'?
Reply 7
chrisjorg

The person who wakes you up at an ungodly hour to "make hoover" (i.e. hoover all over your work if its on the floor, or pick it all up and dump it in a random order on your desk). Then doesnt believe you that paint does come off the floor tiles and summons the house keeper to threaten you with the domestic bursar..

I <3 my scout
Reply 8
jamesfinch
Ive received an offer from Pembroke college and am just wondering on something...what is the college/university position on having friends, opposite sex or otherwise, to stay for a period of time (say up to a week?) in your room?

Yes, they're fine with it. But no hanky-panky!

But seriously, just remember that new beds cost. Even college ones that break so easily.
Reply 9
ravenous_soup_dragon
I'm going to St. Anne's next year and according to a current second year, they don't really have any rules either way. :smile: xx

Well to be honest, they do - technically, you're only allowed to have a guest in your room for two nights out of every seven, and all guests should be signed in at the lodge for fire regulations. But this is pretty much uniformly ignored, so it barely counts.
Reply 10
chrisjorg

My mum's friends thought she meant the Boy Scouts did her cleaning, and was scandalised...
Reply 11
Athena
My mum's friends thought she meant the Boy Scouts did her cleaning, and was scandalised...

Hehe. Well, they are very keen to do good turns - it seems a shame to waste them as a resource!
Reply 12
Scouts used to be personal servants of the students- now they tell us what to do- like get out of bed at ungodly hours such as 10:30. Completely ridiculous.

I have a spare bed in my room- i'm not sure what it's for if not for guests to sleep on.
eleri
Well to be honest, they do - technically, you're only allowed to have a guest in your room for two nights out of every seven, and all guests should be signed in at the lodge for fire regulations. But this is pretty much uniformly ignored, so it barely counts.

Fairy fairy snuff. I don't really understand doing it for fire regulations though...surely if they're going to come looking for you they'd also save whoever was in your bed/on your floor? It won't be like, sorry mate, not on the list, in you stay...:wink:

On a more serious note though, kind of on the lines of what Athena was saying...won't it be far worse if a fire breaks out and you're actually not even in Oxford? Do people seriously not bother telling college when they go home?

And finally....a slight digression, but perhaps still on the subject of fires and such..I set off the fire alarm by drying my hair during the interview period, and only realised that there was bother when old porterman kicked my door in...is hairdryers/fire alarms a serious Oxford issue? :smile: xxx
Reply 14
ravenous_soup_dragon
And finally....a slight digression, but perhaps still on the subject of fires and such..I set off the fire alarm by drying my hair during the interview period, and only realised that there was bother when old porterman kicked my door in...is hairdryers/fire alarms a serious Oxford issue? :smile: xxx

Yes. As is hair spray/fire alarms.:rolleyes:
hobnob
Yes. As is hair spray/fire alarms.:rolleyes:

Oh dear, dear God! I'm not drying my hair backwards out of a bloody window for the next three years! :tongue:
ravenous_soup_dragon
On a more serious note though, kind of on the lines of what Athena was saying...won't it be far worse if a fire breaks out and you're actually not even in Oxford? Do people seriously not bother telling college when they go home?

Think about it...the chances of a fire alarm going off and all the occupants of a staircase being there are very low. It's not even guaranteed at 4am.
Reply 17
ravenous_soup_dragon
Oh dear, dear God! I'm not drying my hair backwards out of a bloody window for the next three years! :tongue:

:biggrin: Actually you might as well not bother, since even that won't guarantee that the alarm won't go off all by itself.
Last term, a fire alarm was supposedly set off in my room, but there was nothing whatsoever that might reasonably have caused it - even the maintenance people who checked the room afterwards didn't find anything: No steaming kettle or shower, no clothes or wet towels thrown over the radiator, no hair spray, no incense, no candles and no smoke. And I hadn't been using a hairdryer either. Go figure...:dontknow:
Reply 18
Edit: Double post. Sorry, the forum wasn't loading properly.:frown:
Reply 19
ravenous_soup_dragon
Fairy fairy snuff. I don't really understand doing it for fire regulations though...surely if they're going to come looking for you they'd also save whoever was in your bed/on your floor? It won't be like, sorry mate, not on the list, in you stay...:wink:

I think it's more so that when the fire brigade come, the college don't get into trouble because they can't tell them if everyone's out or not. Hence, they prefer that you tell them a) if someone else is in your room (OK, it's less serious if there's an extra person staying in your room, because obviously *you* know that they're there) or b) when you're not staying the night.

I always tell college if I know I'm not going to be in my room one night. Firemen will put their lives at greater risk when they think there might be someone inside if there is a real fire.

ravenous_soup_dragon
is hairdryers/fire alarms a serious Oxford issue? :smile: xxx

On a less serious note - my mate once claimed to the porter that he'd set off the fire alarm with his smelly socks. (He was drunk at the time, and had really been trying to smoke in his room.)

Latest

Trending

Trending