The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He probably won't want a break but he definitely needs one at some point, can't keep going on forever.
Original post by sr90
Is Sanchez going to want an extended break though? He must have started 70 odd games in the past year or so.
It's easy to say ''oh we're only playing XYZ'' but Arsenal were very lucky to take 3 points from Selhurst & St James' last season, and poor starts have cost Arsenal dear in 3 of the past 4 seasons. I'd imagine he'll be on the bench for West Ham with a view to starting against Palace.

The reason for that poor start was because key players coming back from the WC weren't completely fit, well rested or motivated for another full League season, that's part of it the other is that several key players who even didn't go to Brazil looked off the pace too. We lacked the cutting edge and quality in many areas of the pitch as a result.

Wenger and Alexis himself have both commented that his burning desire to play every game is blocking his ability to see common sense and the bigger picture. I'm sure Wenger has learned lessons from the past and will take it easy with him. I don't think he'll be missed too much anyway with Ox and Welbeck fully fit
Anyway, a rest for Alexis could see Walcott/Ox stake a claim for a place in the team.
Original post by sevchenko
The reason for that poor start was because key players coming back from the WC weren't completely fit, well rested or motivated for another full League season, that's part of it the other is that several key players who even didn't go to Brazil looked off the pace too. We lacked the cutting edge and quality in many areas of the pitch as a result.
Wenger and Alexis himself have both commented that his burning desire to play every game is blocking his ability to see common sense and the bigger picture. I'm sure Wenger has learned lessons from the past and will take it easy with him. I don't think he'll be missed too much anyway with Ox and Welbeck fully fit

Never thought i'd see Welbeck being compared to Sanchez :lol:

Also remember that every side bar Chelsea had that 'world cup hangover' last season.
We have Ramsey Wilshere Ozil Ox Walcott Rosicky Welbeck Cazorla etc all fit and desperate for gametime ffs, why's it imperative to play Alexis immediately?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sr90

Also remember that every side bar Chelsea had that 'world cup hangover' last season.

Did they though? We were just ****, same goes for Liverpool. Who else really had players who reached the latter stages of the World Cup?
Original post by Depleted
Did they though? We were just ****, same goes for Liverpool. Who else really had players who reached the latter stages of the World Cup?

Schurrle won the world cup with Germany, started and scored in Chelsea's first game.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Schurrle won the world cup with Germany, started and scored in Chelsea's first game.

Forgot about him, but your lots German contingent was stronger than most. I guess we had Rojo and Di Maria as well.
God imagine a time when footballers were just as fat as newcastle fans and played over 40 highly physical games per season.

I wonder how you guys feel about the notion of alexis crossing the road. As antithetical as it sounds, he doesn't need nor want resting. You can't always elaborate situation of player a to player b as shown by the schrulle example above.
Original post by sr90

That's a bull**** excuse, Willian, Oscar, Schurrle all got to at least the semi final. Hazard got to the quarters. Remy got to the quarters, Courtois got to the quarters.

Arsenal got it the worst, United didn't even get much from it besides Di Maria(who by that time he was bought was getting gametime for Real Madrid anyway off the bench) RVP, Fellaini and Rojo, one of which wasn't even getting any gametime at the start of the season anyway in Fellaini.

How did City have any more of a world cup hangover than Chelsea? How did Liverpool have more of a WC hangover than Chelsea?
(edited 8 years ago)
In what world is higuain valued at 2.5 times the value of benzema (42mil compared to 18mil). Honestly, some of these media outlets need to get a ****ing grip
Anyone planning to go emirates cup this year? (I'm going on Sunday - Vs Wolfsburg)
Original post by Shahdog
Anyone planning to go emirates cup this year? (I'm going on Sunday - Vs Wolfsburg)

Going with a few mates to the Wolfsburg game, yeah.
Walcott Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey Carzola
Vidal

That looks appealing.
Original post by sr90
Is Sanchez going to want an extended break though? He must have started 70 odd games in the past year or so.

It's easy to say ''oh we're only playing XYZ'' but Arsenal were very lucky to take 3 points from Selhurst & St James' last season, and poor starts have cost Arsenal dear in 3 of the past 4 seasons. I'd imagine he'll be on the bench for West Ham with a view to starting against Palace.

I think it's 72 games since June 13th. Ridiculous man, South Americans just don't stop.

Original post by sr90

A tired Sanchez starts to look a lot like Welbeck. Running up and down the wings with boundless energy, but little end product. Still though, I'd take Sanchez any day, and then make up a few days just so I could take him some more.

Original post by Shahdog

Original post by AR_95

Same here, Wolfsburg game. Should be a cracker.

Original post by Dan1607
Walcott Sanchez
Ozil
Ramsey Carzola
Vidal

That looks appealing.

We'd have a fifty foot gap between our furthest back midfielder and our defenders. Vidal is nowhere near as defensive as people claim, and neither is Ramsey. Cazorla would get swamped, and Ozil would get sulky. We would dominate small games (except for against pace merchants like Crystal Palace), but get dicked in big games.
If we sign Pedro I will be fuming. Ty's head will be getting kicked right in.
Man's English after 2 years: "Hi, mein name ist Mesut Ozil". That's all he can manage.

[video="youtube;Qw8U76ayxXc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8U76ayxXc[/video]
Original post by Arkasia

Same here, Wolfsburg game. Should be a cracker.

Whereabouts you sitting in the stadium mate?
Original post by AR_95

Where you guys gonna be sitting?
Actually stunned people are stupid enough to believe we've any chance of signing Pedro when the guy literally signed a contract extension a month ago at Barca.....

Latest