The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics (WPH06/01) Unit 6: Experimental Physics 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AhmedBilal
Can anyone explain to me how a set square is actually used in measuring distances?

Generally, they are used to keep a ruler perpendicular to the ground/floor/table/whatever surface. This is so the ruler is vertical and when you read the measurement, it will be more accurate. For example when you need to measure distance from the ground to the bottom of a mass. Like this:
Capture.PNG

You may also need set squares if you need to measure a distance(H) to the MIDDLE of a mass instead of top or bottom. Set squares can be utilized to make sure that you are getting an accurate reading of the top(h1) and bottom of the ball(2) and find the mean to get the height up to the middle of the ball. Like this:
Attachment not found

These are two of the more common purposes of a setsquare in experiments. And remember when taking the measurements, you have to avoid parallax error. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you so much. It's all clear now.:biggrin:
Anyone have the mark scheme for the May 2014 paper?
Thank you :smile:
Ive done all the papers last week and now I have no idea how to study.
More help needed guys, can someone tell me about the safety and accuracy precautions for the following experiments :

Conservation of momentum
investigating charge stored by capacitors
Investigating gas laws
Reply 28
Original post by ozbilege
have you done bio u6 today?

Nope. Not a bio student.
Reply 29
Original post by AhmedBilal
More help needed guys, can someone tell me about the safety and accuracy precautions for the following experiments :

Conservation of momentum
investigating charge stored by capacitors
Investigating gas laws

not much danger in cons. of momentum, unless you're using the rate of change of momentum using falling masses. Just mention that falling weights could hit someone on the foot, or something, and for that, just wear shoes. Or you could just mention that the risk is insignificant as masses are low anyway. Not many precautions, and air tracks have 0 friction, and time is recorded using light gates, though you do need to know the masses of the sliders. Make sure there's no zero error on you balance, or light gates (I'm not sure if light gates can even have zero error:colondollar:)

For charge stored by capacitors, repeat and average is a must. Then, you can have your stopwatch and your meters in your line of sight together, so that you can take readings at the same time (almost). You can also draw a graph, as this will force you to take more readings. Make sure there's no zero error on your meters. For safety, make sure capacitor's voltage is equal to the power supply, and not lower. Also, make sure the capacitor is connected the correct way around. You can also mention the basic precautions with an electric circuit. No exposed wiring, no water spillages. But you can also mention that the risk is minimal as there is a low voltage.

As for gas laws, check zero error in your measuring instruments. Make sure eye is in line with thermometer when you are reading it. Make sure thermometer doesn't touch the sides of the beaker, and should be close to the flask. Turn off heating supply when taking measurements so as to allows the flask and water to reach thermal equilibrium. As for safety, these are safe experiments. There's heating, so be wary of that.

I think that's it, to the extent on my knowledge
Uh. In Jan 2015 qp, question number 4a ii) why is the uncertainty 5-10 mm? Since we are just using a metre rule, shouldnt it be 1mm?
Reply 31
Does anyone have the Jan 2013 mark scheme?
Reply 32
Could someone please help me out on this on. Why is the uncertainty in a(ii) 5mm and not 1mm that is the uncertainty of the metre rule. :confused:
Sorry if it's a dumb question. :colondollar:
Reply 33
Original post by Nid03

aCould someone please help me out on this on. Why is the uncertainty in a(ii) 5mm and not 1mm that is the uncertainty of the metre rule. :confused:
Sorry if it's a dumb question. :colondollar:

apparently when the experiment is done in the lab, it is hard to obtain an accurate value of the amplitude as it is far away from the rules, hence the 5mm uncertainty
Reply 34
Original post by X3X4fr
apparently when the experiment is done in the lab, it is hard to obtain an accurate value of the amplitude as it is far away from the rules, hence the 5mm uncertainty

Oh okay thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 35
can someone give me some practicals which i can attempt before the exam?
the exam was really easyyyy
Reply 37
Original post by ozbilege
the exam was really easyyyy

It was nice! How did you answer last part of question 1?
It was actually tricky
I said that the value optained after subtraction is very small so %uncertainty would be bigger (error/ smaller value x 100 = bigger uncertainty) but I'm not sure at all :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending