The Student Room Group

Should London underground implement women's only coach?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A5ko
Trainsexuals.

I like trains :sexface:
what about lesbians?
Change society not the train carriage.

Feminism is for everyone, men and women.
I don't think it is a very good idea to introduce segregation into public transport. No matter how well intentioned it may be.
No!

All this women's only stuff is bonkers. Gender discrimination is just as messed up as harassment.

I went to a gym where they had women's only every Thursday evening between 7-8pm or something, for whichever flowery hearted ladies couldn't face the idea of the opposite gender being in the same room, and I can tell you that at 7pm all the guys left looking pissed off and at 8pm they came back, and the only women in the gym were the ones who were there in the first place anyway. Literally the most pointless thing.

We should be telling people harassment is wrong, not hiding ourselves away from them. That's not even taking into account the impracticability of women only carriages on tubes. Besides harassment on the tube isn't exactly rife!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by grant-m-s
what about lesbians?

The purpose of the idea isn't to remove anyone attracted to that sex jesus o.o I don't know a single female that's had trouble with females, whereas every. single. one. has had issues with men. And women tend to have a lot more respect for that kind of thing because /they know what it's like/

I don't necessarily agree with the idea, but your point is just stupid.
Also is anyone going to mention the fact that the vast majority(not all, I admit) of the people disagreeing with this proposal are male
No... feminists want equal rights so they should get equal rights... Why should females get carriages all for themselves? that's just gonna cause more problems.. especially in london when there is little space and time to be moving around and fussing about as it's so overcrowded and busy.

And who's gonna even enforce that rule? The government is not gonna fund someone enforcing it even if it is implemented, it decreases efficiency of the trains and it's capacity. You're gonna get some radical feminist enforcing the rule. What about tourists? I doubt they'll give a **** about the rule and just wonder inside anyway

It's just gonna completely slow down train times and annoy alot of people
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daenerys...
This is literally the best suggestion I've read all week and it's nearly Friday. I would certainly pay an extra fee to board female-only carriages to avoid leering men and the other gropey kind you wouldn't believe how many times I've had my bottom squeezed while standing on a busy train. I no longer get on trains unless I can actually find a seat rather give it a miss and board the next one.

There's something called first class.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bustamove
No... feminists want equal rights so they should get equal rights... Why should females get carriages all for themselves? that's just gonna cause more problems.. especially in london when there is little space and time to be moving around and fussing about as it's so overcrowded and busy.

And who's gonna even enforce that rule? The government is not gonna fund someone enforcing it even if it is implemented, it decreases efficiency of the trains and it's capacity. You're gonna get some radical feminist enforcing the rule. What about tourists? I doubt they'll give a **** about the rule and just wonder inside anyway

It's just gonna completely slow down train times and annoy alot of people

It works in other cities around the world so I don't think arguments that it wouldn't work are valid. Sometimes there's a guard who stays in the carriage, but when there isn't, it's self-policed pretty well, because despite the big talk on the internet, in real life nobody wants to look like a dick enough to go on the women's only carriage giving it the big I am. Tourists also seem to have no problem with it.

Just to add, I'm not saying I think they're a great idea - I'm not sure where I stand on that. I just think the arguments that they wouldn't be viable, are wrong.
There's something called first class.....

Why should I have to pay extra for some peace and quiet from men?
Original post by e aí rapaz
It works in other cities around the world so I don't think arguments that it wouldn't work are valid. Sometimes there's a guard who stays in the carriage, but when there isn't, it's self-policed pretty well, because despite the big talk on the internet, in real life nobody wants to look like a dick enough to go on the women's only carriage giving it the big I am. Tourists also seem to have no problem with it.

Just to add, I'm not saying I think they're a great idea - I'm not sure where I stand on that. I just think the arguments that they wouldn't be viable, are wrong.

Did a quick google search which shows me that the following countries have women only carriages: Japan, India, Egypt, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Phillippines, Malaysia and UAE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women-only_passenger_car#India

I understand why some of these countries have it as inequality and sexual harassment levels are high in their country and some of these countries don't have as much equal rights for men and women like here in the UK. E.g. India, Indonesia have way higher sexual harassment levels and are more dangerous than in the UK, but it's not like sexual harassment is rife in the UK.

For countries like the UAE or Egypt, due to religious and cultural reasons which is why they have separate areas for women. They have always had it and I guess it works because these countries enforce it pretty well.

For Japan, I'm guessing it may work better in japan than the UK as Japan is having a population decline. (i'm just suggesting that maybe that may be a factor, not a definite cause)
http://www.statista.com/statistics/263746/total-population-in-japan/
But then again, japan is way ahead of us in terms of technology and maybe they're just enforcing it well.

I personally disagree with women only or gender specific carriages. Especially in the London underground. The london underground is way tooo crowded. And what if you're travelling with your girlfriend/boyfriend, or family members or group of friends? What about a mother travelling with her teenage son? or father and daughter?
(edited 8 years ago)
If we are going to have a women-only carriage, why not have a men-only carriage? But then there will need to be a transgender-only carriage. But what if I identify as unownuzergender? Do I get a carriage for unownuzergender people (i.e. me)? How about the people that want to have an orgy on a train carriage? Do they get their own carriage as well?

Overall, I do not think this is a good idea. It will just cause division in society, and there are plenty of unavoidable crowded places anyway. Does that mean different genders would need to be segregated in those as well?
Why should I have to pay extra for some peace and quiet from men?

This is literally the best suggestion I've read all week and it's nearly Friday. I would certainly pay an extra fee to board female-only carriages to avoid leering men and the other gropey kind you wouldn't believe how many times I've had my bottom squeezed while standing on a busy train. I no longer get on trains unless I can actually find a seat rather give it a miss and board the next one.

You're a troll. You just said in your previous statement that you would certainly "pay an extra fee to board female only carriages to avoid leering men and other gropey kind".

As you stated that you "would certainly pay an extra fee" You can get that service if you pay for first class. Then you won't have "leering men and other gropey kind" in your carriage if you go first class.
No need to create more segregation in our society.
Did a quick google search which shows me that the following countries have women only carriages: Japan, India, Egypt, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Phillippines, Malaysia and UAE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women-only_passenger_car#India

I understand why some of these countries have it as inequality and sexual harassment levels are high in their country and some of these countries don't have as much equal rights for men and women like here in the UK. E.g. India, Indonesia have way higher sexual harassment levels and are more dangerous than in the UK, but it's not like sexual harassment is rife in the UK.

For countries like the UAE or Egypt, due to religious and cultural reasons which is why they have separate areas for women. They have always had it and I guess it works because these countries enforce it pretty well.

For Japan, I'm guessing it may work better in japan than the UK as Japan is having a population decline. (i'm just suggesting that maybe that may be a factor, not a definite cause)
http://www.statista.com/statistics/263746/total-population-in-japan/
But then again, japan is way ahead of us in terms of technology and maybe they're just enforcing it well.

I personally disagree with women only or gender specific carriages. Especially in the London underground. The london underground is way tooo crowded. And what if you're travelling with your girlfriend/boyfriend, or family members or group of friends? What about a mother travelling with her teenage son? or father and daughter?

Well, women don't HAVE to go on the women's carriage, and I imagine it's something they're more inclined to do when they're alone anyway.

I agree that the busy-ness factor could be a problem, but then again, it's implemented in these other cities seemingly with little issue (I've seen it in São Paulo at rush hour). It would only be a problem if the women's carriage was not full, while the rest were, which I think is highly uncommon.

As for whether it's actually needed (or the best way to tackle the problem) well that's the part I'm unsure of, but then again, I'm a man so I don't really know how big a problem it is. I know the tube has been running this big campaign at the moment to get more women to report sexual harassment on the tube, no matter how small, so it obviously is an issue.
Original post by supreme overlord
Also is anyone going to mention the fact that the vast majority(not all, I admit) of the people disagreeing with this proposal are male

That may be because men do not want to be discriminated against by a bunch of misandrists.
Reply 76
ofcourse as females encourage physical activity, jose mourinho is also really a female. also having a coach specifically for women would also encourage specific religious welfare pubs. it will also increase female confidence and increase social activity. **** iphones and Samsung all about HTC.
Reply 77
I also like trains!
Reply 78
Absolutely not. If sexual harassment/assault on the tube was a more common occurrence then maybe, but London is hardly India. As it is it would simply do more harm than good, segregating people just promotes distrust and dehumanisation.
Reply 79
Original post by Penguinfarts
Isn't everyone on TSR? :smile:

I'm not :frown: :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest