The Student Room Group

AQA FP3 June 2015 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morgan8002
What sid you get for AB? Off the top of my head it was r=43sinθr = \dfrac{4}{3\sin \theta}.You set this equal to r=1+cos2θr = 1 + \cos 2\theta to get a cubic in sinθ\sin \theta, which you solve for sinθ\sin \theta. One value is less than -1, so can be discarded, one is associated with A and the other gives you the given result.

Yeah did that just couldn't solve the cubic :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Lau14
In 6b I think you're missing the end of the first bracket (should be after Bsin(lnx/2) maybe?), and for question 7 part (a) was 5 marks and (b)(i) 4 marks from what I remember. Can't believe how fast you put this together and how much you can remember, thanks! :smile:

Updated all that now, thanks!
Original post by Stepidermis
Yeah did that just couldn't solve the cubic :smile:

You had to notice that one of the roots will correspond to A, so will be sinθ=12\sin \theta = \frac{1}{2}. Then it's just a case of algebraic polynomial division to get the other quadratic factor. Solving that with the quadratic formula will give you the other answers.
This unofficial mark scheme is a great help, really reassuring to see so many of my answers up there, yay! Any chance that an unofficial question paper has been put together? Only on the parts I got wrong I can't quite seem to remember the questions, thanks (:
Wait you had to state the validity of the series? I completely missed that hahaha...
What sid you get for AB? Off the top of my head it was r=43sinθr = \dfrac{4}{3\sin \theta}.
You set this equal to r=1+cos2θr = 1 + \cos 2\theta to get a cubic in sinθ\sin \theta, which you solve for sinθ\sin \theta. One value is less than -1, so can be discarded, one is associated with A and the other gives you the given result.

It should be r = 3/(4sin theta).
Carrying on give me sin theta = 1/2 and (-1 +/- √13)/4. I substituted them back into the AB equation but its not the right answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think there was a question on the validity of the series.
Reply 47
It was in the Ln[(1+2x)(1-2x)] question, had to state the range of validity for values of x
so no one else got AB=1.44 for the last question then...
Reply 49
I would suggest a slight refinement - set sin theta = 3/4r

You then can change 1 + cos 2 theta into 2 - 2 (3/4r)^2

Rearranging you get 8r^3 -16r^2 + 9 = 0

The key point then is that you know r = 3/2 is a solution, so 2r - 3 is a factor. Use that to find the quadratic factor and then solve with the formula or cts.
Original post by Lordvulk
It was in the Ln[(1+2x)(1-2x)] question, had to state the range of validity for values of x

Oh Damn! How many marks was it?
Original post by SilenceOrNoise
Oh Damn! How many marks was it?

The validity will probably just be worth 1 mark, can't imagine it would be worth any more than that.
Original post by eddie1221
The validity will probably just be worth 1 mark, can't imagine it would be worth any more than that.

thanks.
Original post by Criggers
I would suggest a slight refinement - set sin theta = 3/4r

You then can change 1 + cos 2 theta into 2 - 2 (3/4r)^2

Rearranging you get 8r^3 -16r^2 + 9 = 0

The key point then is that you know r = 3/2 is a solution, so 2r - 3 is a factor. Use that to find the quadratic factor and then solve with the formula or cts.

Cheers mate it works.I should have thought about that earlier.
Original post by onlinekute17
It should be r = 3/(4sin theta).
Carrying on give me sin theta = 1/2 and (-1 +/- √13)/4. I substituted them back into the AB equation but its not the right answer.

I did say it was off the top of my head.

So you got the right answer to II?
I used the calculator to find the value of theta at B(the question said not exact value). I then used cosine rule to find the length of AB. There are probably a few ways to do it.
I did say it was off the top of my head.

So you got the right answer to II?
I used the calculator to find the value of theta at B(the question said not exact value). I then used cosine rule to find the length of AB. There are probably a few ways to do it.

It was the right answer but not in the right form so I think I may lose 1 mark for that.
I spent too much time doing ii so I ran out of time for the last one :frown:(
Well this is worrying is think I only got 48/75 :eek:
I don't really remember 4b but I don't think that was my answer...what was the question again?
Anyone posted the questions yet?
Reply 59
There's some bits missing/not sure on and the wording isn't right but these are the questions as far as I know :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending