The Student Room Group

German AS Edexcel Unit 1 - 14th May 2015

How's everyone's revision going?
What are your predictions for the essay?

Not long to go... :/

Edit: Oops I mean unit 2!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have just read on the marking guidance:
"2. Targeted LiftsTargeted lift is a piece of information copied/transcribed from the text whichcommunicates the answer directly and which does not require examiners to sortthrough additional material.Targeted lifts are allowed in Q4 (listening) and Q7 (reading)."
Does anyone know what this means? Had you been told about it before?
I didn't know that you could take the answer word for word 'from the text' in specific questions?
Original post by bceg12
I have just read on the marking guidance:
"2. Targeted LiftsTargeted lift is a piece of information copied/transcribed from the text whichcommunicates the answer directly and which does not require examiners to sortthrough additional material.Targeted lifts are allowed in Q4 (listening) and Q7 (reading)."
Does anyone know what this means? Had you been told about it before?
I didn't know that you could take the answer word for word 'from the text' in specific questions?

My teacher said we are allowed to copy short amounts from the text if it directly answers the question however we have to be careful to change things like meine to seine or we won't get the mark.
He recommends though that we try and put it into our own words and only copy word for word if we have to.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you very much. :smile:

Have you got opening lines and ending lines for the different kinds of structure that the writing could be? (i.e. formal letter, email)
Could I see what you had in mind to make sure I'm on the right lines?
Have you got opening lines and ending lines for the different kinds of structure that the writing could be? (i.e. formal letter, email)
Could I see what you had in mind to make sure I'm on the right lines?

I had been told to always start with "Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren" and end with "mit freundlichen Grüßen" - is that different to what you've been told?
Reply 5
Exactly the same, that's a relief :smile: How are you feeling about the exam?
Original post by bceg12
Exactly the same, that's a relief :smile: How are you feeling about the exam?

Really nervous - I keep having nightmares about opening the paper and not being able to understand a word of it! What abut you? :smile:
Reply 7
Nervous too, but hopefully it's nothing to worry about. :smile: Do you have any stock essay phrases you're planning to use? (I find "Ich bin davon ΓΌberzeugt, dass..." "Dazu kommt noch..." "Es ist leicht zu ersehen, dass..." "Es ist nicht zu leugnen, dass..." "Meiner Meinung nach" etc. very helpful :smile: )
Original post by bceg12
Nervous too, but hopefully it's nothing to worry about. :smile: Do you have any stock essay phrases you're planning to use? (I find "Ich bin davon ΓΌberzeugt, dass..." "Dazu kommt noch..." "Es ist leicht zu ersehen, dass..." "Es ist nicht zu leugnen, dass..." "Meiner Meinung nach" etc. very helpful :smile: )

They're useful - thanks! I also have "Im Vergleich zu..." and "Einige Leute sagen, dass..." :smile:

What are you predicted if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 9
You're welcome :smile:

An A, but I am so worried about being a few marks off because that seems to be the case with past papers :frown: Hopefully the speaking exam will have helped the overall mark! How about you? :smile:
Oh and you mentioned about predictions, I have absolutely no idea but do you have any inclination?
Original post by bceg12
You're welcome :smile:

An A, but I am so worried about being a few marks off because that seems to be the case with past papers :frown: Hopefully the speaking exam will have helped the overall mark! How about you? :smile:
Oh and you mentioned about predictions, I have absolutely no idea but do you have any inclination?

I'm predicted an A/B but considering that everyone at my school last year got either an E or U and I messed up my speaking, that isn't looking likely!
In the past papers I am consistently a few marks off an A but tbh I would be quite happy if I ended up with a B overall :smile:

I have no clue either :tongue:
does anyone know any stock idiomatic phrases to put in the writing?

I don't know about the topic but I've done a lot on gap year and german courses as well as some on the youth culture topic but apart from last year there's only one environment one so if they're trying to be different I think it will either be tourism or environment but I'm not sure
Original post by Claire_Bee
does anyone know any stock idiomatic phrases to put in the writing?

I don't know about the topic but I've done a lot on gap year and german courses as well as some on the youth culture topic but apart from last year there's only one environment one so if they're trying to be different I think it will either be tourism or environment but I'm not sure

I hope its not the environment! How are you feeling about the exam? :smile:
Original post by LilacFlorence
I hope its not the environment! How are you feeling about the exam? :smile:

ok I think but it always varies for me depending on what topics come up lots of people in my class did youth culture so I don't know as much vocab as they do and I struggle with those questions more.
I wouldn't mind environment because I did travel and tourism as my speaking topic so I could probably think of lots of things to say but my accuracy always brings me down because I never know if I'm right or not :frown: you?
ok I think but it always varies for me depending on what topics come up lots of people in my class did youth culture so I don't know as much vocab as they do and I struggle with those questions more.
I wouldn't mind environment because I did travel and tourism as my speaking topic so I could probably think of lots of things to say but my accuracy always brings me down because I never know if I'm right or not :frown: you?

Youth culture and concerns is my favourite and I did my speaking on education and employment so I hope it's one of those :smile: I'm really worried about the essay though!
Youth culture and concerns is my favourite and I did my speaking on education and employment so I hope it's one of those :smile: I'm really worried about the essay though!

Same! I'm really worried I won't understand a bullet point and it will all go horribly wrong :/ An essay on education and employment would be ok because you can make some of that up :smile:

how did your speaking go?
Same! I'm really worried I won't understand a bullet point and it will all go horribly wrong :/ An essay on education and employment would be ok because you can make some of that up :smile:

how did your speaking go?

Yeah hopefully it will be an education and employment essay with easy to understand bullet points :tongue:

It went awfully! I didn't understand the text so I panicked and only answered 1 out of the four first questions and then that threw me for the rest :frown: hopefully I can make up for it tomorrow though :smile: How was yours?
Yeah hopefully it will be an education and employment essay with easy to understand bullet points :tongue:

It went awfully! I didn't understand the text so I panicked and only answered 1 out of the four first questions and then that threw me for the rest :frown: hopefully I can make up for it tomorrow though :smile: How was yours?

I'm sure you did better than you think because it always seems worse to you than the examiner. Mine was ok but my stimulus was on a topic I didn't even think was in Travel and Tourism so it threw me a bit :/ I felt like I understood it a lot better than it sounds like in my answers because I panicked and didn't answer very well :frown: the rest of it was ok but my teacher didn't answer any questions I felt I could answer really well so I'm not sure. I didn't think she sounded very positive afterwards but apparently they're not allowed to in case you get the wrong impression?

making up for it tomorrow will work as long as I understand all the bullet points fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 18
Hii, my teacher thinks the essay will be on health and lifestyle because it hasn't been an essay question for a few years. Hopefully it will be, I find the vocab much easier than the other topics!
Original post by grace26x
Hii, my teacher thinks the essay will be on health and lifestyle because it hasn't been an essay question for a few years. Hopefully it will be, I find the vocab much easier than the other topics!

what vocab do you know? I don't think I know anything about health and lifestyle :/

Quick Reply