The Student Room Group

National 5 Biology

Couldn't see any other threads on this. Does anyone have a copy of the Section 1 Multiple Choice Question Paper. If so could you send it in. How did everyone feel the exam went?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry i don't have a copy of the paper - my school doesn't seem to allow taking any papers out of the exam hall. And think it's went alright, being the perfectionist that i am I'm really hoping for a good A, but i know that I've lost 5 marks for definite and maybe 12 in total, 15-18 at the most i think. How did you find it? The first question on section 2 really caught me out :/
Original post by themoonisdown
Sorry i don't have a copy of the paper - my school doesn't seem to allow taking any papers out of the exam hall. And think it's went alright, being the perfectionist that i am I'm really hoping for a good A, but i know that I've lost 5 marks for definite and maybe 12 in total, 15-18 at the most i think. How did you find it? The first question on section 2 really caught me out :/

I thought that the multiple choice section was very hard! I think I put 4 and 4, and also meristem at the shoot and root tips.
I put 8 and four for the chromosomes questions :redface:
Original post by interneruser111
I thought that the multiple choice section was very hard! I think I put 4 and 4, and also meristem at the shoot and root tips.

I didn't feel too bad about the multiple choice. I completely over thought the chromosome question so related it to human chromosome count since it was unclear whether the cell diagram actually was relevant to the answer or not. I had heard people saying they put 4 and 8 or the same as you. I also put root and shoot tips but was unsure whether to write meristems so put the zone of cell division instead.
I found the question about the ivy quite difficult too in section 2.
Which questions did you find difficult in multiple choice?m
Original post by beccabuttabean
I put 8 and four for the chromosomes questions :redface:
yeah I think that's right, a lot of friends I had spoke to put that as well

woohooo! and for the multiple choice I think 16 was hardest, for 16 it was how many of these species may evolve with the mountain barrier and I put 1 but ngl I didn't have a clue
Original post by beccabuttabean
woohooo! and for the multiple choice I think 16 was hardest, for 16 it was how many of these species may evolve with the mountain barrier and I put 1 but ngl I didn't have a clue

Yeah I think everyone found that difficult. I put 3 since the two species that were interbreeding would eventually become new species even if they were producing infertile offspring at the start as a mutation would eventually allow them to produce a new species. So two new species from the interbreeding ones and then the other would come from the species that is isolated by mountains.

There were 8 chromatids, but only 4 chromosomes. And because it was mitosis, the daughter cells gain the exact same genetic information as the parent cell so, the amount remains the same does it not?
The species question and the antibiotic questions were quite tough.
I managed to miss out a question that I didn't see which I so annoyed about as I knew what to do. It was the DNA one when you fill in the bases
The species question and the antibiotic questions were quite tough.
Yeah they were. I put mutation - use of antibiotic - natural selection
There were 8 chromatids, but only 4 chromosomes. And because it was mitosis, the daughter cells gain the exact same genetic information as the parent cell so, the amount remains the same does it not?

That's what I thought, I put 4 and 4 aswell! WHAT WAS MOLECULE P??

Yeah I guess that makes sense actually, i'm really not sure depends whether it meant just the chromosomes or the chromatids. I got that one wrong though since I answered in relation to human chromosome count
Original post by bubbletea99
That's what I thought, I put 4 and 4 aswell! WHAT WAS MOLECULE P??

Oh yeah that was hard! I put base(s) since it's the sequence of bases that code for the sequence of amino acids in a protein, right?
My multiple choice answers were:
1-D 2-A 3-D 4-D 5-B 6-A 7-D 8-D 9-C 10-B 11-A 12-C 13-D 14-B 15-B 16-C 17-C 18-D 19-C 20-A

Where does everyone disagree and why? Hopefully have 15+ but I'm not sure :smile:
Also the ivy questions, why was only one ivy plant used and was it the fact that not enough leaves were sampled that made the experiment unreliable
Original post by AlphaJack45
My multiple choice answers were:
1-D 2-A 3-D 4-D 5-B 6-A 7-D 8-D 9-C 10-B 11-A 12-C 13-D 14-B 15-B 16-C 17-C 18-D 19-C 20-A

Where does everyone disagree and why? Hopefully have 15+ but I'm not sure :smile:

What was question 3 on multiple choice again? I put D, the same as you but my friend put C.
I seemed to have a lot of D answers which made me really paranoid, hate when it ends up being many of the same letter haha
Does anyone have a copy of the paper?
Oh yeah that was hard! I put base(s) since it's the sequence of bases that code for the sequence of amino acids in a protein, right?

Ahh I put that and then rubbed it out and wrote mRNA instead because I remembered it being it a past paper as mRNA, but I'm pretty sure I got that one wrong :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending