The Student Room Group

A2 EdexcelDrama and Theatre Studies Unit 4 - Tips on revising and creating a concept!

Hi,
I'm taking the Edexcel Unit 4 paper this June and am struggling with where to start with revision.
We're studying Woyzeck for sections A and B and going to see a production of 'The Merchant of Venice' for section C.
I've started drawing elements together for my concept (e.g. staging, acting styles) and am revising rehearsal techniques, but am unsure how to prepare for Section C other than through researching the context of Shakespeare's original production and its context.

I've had a look at the specification for ideas but, as I have not yet seen the production of The Merchant of Venice (it's in a couple of weeks!), I do not have any way of comparing the two productions.

Does anyone have any tips on how to answer the Section C question? Also, are there any further ways that I can revise Woyzeck?

Thanks and good luck with the exams!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey HanHan2468,

I'm currently doing drama unit 4 too. However, I'm studying Lysistrata for section A/B and am doing Othello for section C.
I feel like I've revised content for section C but the exam questions are so damn confusing - i cant answer them. Teachers are being useless too.
I'm studying Dr Faustus for Section A/B, and I went to see Ibsen's 'An Enemy of the People' for C.
I find sections A/B more difficult, C seems very straightforward once you get the hang of it.
For C you take the stimulus statement and decide on your standpoint, then look at an aspect of the play you saw with regards to the statement, and assess how it proves your standpoint, then compare that to how it would have been / the style that was normal to audiences at the time of the original play.
Have you developed a concept idea all year?
Am I the only one to be more stressed about section C! A/B seem somewhat okay! The questions for the last section just seem to make NO sense and I find it hard to answer in relation to the two performances. But thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We've literally been doing our concept over the past 2/3 months. But I've hardly done any because I got confused. And again, teachers are useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher for question C is useless, but being a good English Literature student means that I know how to answer the questions for C because i can construct an essay.
My teacher for A/B is very good with theory. We developed a concept and applied it to every scene in Term 1. Read the Examiner's Report and get ideas for a concept! The answers are always Lysistrata and I'm certain that will help you and i hope it does.
I'd be a little bit worried that you haven't seen your Section C production yet... have you done any work on it yet? :/ I find the 4,6 and 10 markers really difficult to do well in .... D:
Reply 8
Original post by StudentFZ
Hey HanHan2468,

I'm currently doing drama unit 4 too. However, I'm studying Lysistrata for section A/B and am doing Othello for section C.
I feel like I've revised content for section C but the exam questions are so damn confusing - i cant answer them. Teachers are being useless too.

I'm studying exactly the same plays as you! If anything I prefer the OTHELLO questions because your answer is already prepared on the 1000 words you can take in! May I ask what your concept is for lysistrata?
Reply 9
Hi,

I have attached a link to help with your concept.

Do you have any notes for othello I'm really struggling..... find it super hard

Thanks

Original post by Loubear97
I'm studying exactly the same plays as you! If anything I prefer the OTHELLO questions because your answer is already prepared on the 1000 words you can take in! May I ask what your concept is for lysistrata?
Oh my, really?? Help!

Did you see Frantic Assembly's version of Othello? I saw it at the Lyric Theatre in London.
My concept for Lysistrata is based on the Suffragettes movement.

How do you answer Section C - Othello questions? Anyone have any guidance, tips or notes?

Very appreciated!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by StudentFZ
Oh my, really?? Help!

Did you see Frantic Assembly's version of Othello? I saw it at the Lyric Theatre in London.
My concept for Lysistrata is based on the Suffragettes movement.

How do you answer Section C - Othello questions? Anyone have any guidance, tips or notes?

Very appreciated!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya!

I'm doing exactly the same as you guys on the thread, Section A/B Lysistrata, and Section C Othello. I saw Frantic Assembly's production of Othello twice, and literally it is an outstanding show :smile:

What are you guys doing for your own interpretation? I'm doing gang wars. I'm way more worried about section A/B, in my mocks I've been doing considerably better in Othello. I think mocks and practice questions are really beneficial. I done an answer for Othello that scored 30/30 and my teacher is a very critical marker. My Lysistrata essays have been much weaker, like 13/15 marks out of 30.
Very difficult to revise for! Just technique
Reply 12
Original post by andrewmcateer3700
Have you developed a concept idea all year?

We did our devised pieces up until January so have only been doing Woyzeck for the past few months and have only spent a month or so on Section C!

I'm beginning to get to grips with Section A now and think that as long as you use appropriate rehearsal techniques, explain why + how you intend to use them and quote specific instances then all should be ok.

On the plus side we can take our scripts and Section C notes in, so at least we're not completely in the dark if we're prepared!
We've been told to link the themes of the play into our answers for all 3 sections (I'm doing Lysistrata and Merchant of Venice) and also provide context for A and B (because with C you have to compare the performance you've seen to the OPCs anyway). I really struggle with B, C is fine as I'm getting around 25/30 each time and A is just pot luck (I'm absolutely screwed if anything to do with the choruses comes up). Any tips for section B?
Hey! I'm doing Woyzeck and Hamlet. :smile:
Where have you noted rehearsal techniques throughout the script for Lysistrata for section A? And what are they? If you don't mind 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone who studies Lysistrata for section A/B know where the wool metaphor is?? I can't find it and it's stressing me out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vkitty
Hiya!

I'm doing exactly the same as you guys on the thread, Section A/B Lysistrata, and Section C Othello. I saw Frantic Assembly's production of Othello twice, and literally it is an outstanding show :smile:

What are you guys doing for your own interpretation? I'm doing gang wars. I'm way more worried about section A/B, in my mocks I've been doing considerably better in Othello. I think mocks and practice questions are really beneficial. I done an answer for Othello that scored 30/30 and my teacher is a very critical marker. My Lysistrata essays have been much weaker, like 13/15 marks out of 30.
Very difficult to revise for! Just technique

Does anyone have usefull notes on frantic assembly othello, i cannot remember the performance :-\
No I don't sorry! My friend is using my notes currently otherwise I would send what I know over. I've forgotten too.

If everyone's exam on Monday 15th?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest