The Student Room Group

How Can I Apply For Extra Time?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if I'd be elidgable for extra time in exams and how I can go about doing it (I've googled but can't seem to find anything helpful).

My Dad has been terminally ill for some time now and received the news the other day that he only has a week or so to live due to an infection. Unfortunatley this coincides with my A2 exams and my revision time is badly compromised now as I am spending a lot of time with my Dad in his hospice.

So yeah, am I allowed any extra time for illness/bereavement and how can I apply for it?
Sorry to hear about your dad :frown:
I'm not sure if you'll be allocated extra-time because it's quite late now but I would suggest mentioning this to your exam officer because you should definitely be given some sort of extenuating circumstance situation. I think, not definitely sure, but exam officers normally write to the exam boards or phone the university because this is likely to affect your performance.

Wish you best of luck with your exams, and best wishes with your dad.

oxo
Reply 2
I too would apply for extenuating circumstances. There's nothing more important than family and schools as well as unis realise this.

Hope you manage well.
Reply 3
Speak to your exams officer. You may not be eligible for extra time but Im sure you will be eligible for special circumstances so you can get extra marks
Reply 4
Original post by Natt.A
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if I'd be elidgable for extra time in exams and how I can go about doing it (I've googled but can't seem to find anything helpful).

My Dad has been terminally ill for some time now and received the news the other day that he only has a week or so to live due to an infection. Unfortunatley this coincides with my A2 exams and my revision time is badly compromised now as I am spending a lot of time with my Dad in his hospice.

So yeah, am I allowed any extra time for illness/bereavement and how can I apply for it?

I am really to sorry to hear about your dad but this is not a reason for extra time. However, you will be eligible for special consideration as your performance is affected in the exams you take (this measn they award you a few extra marks). If you are unable to take an exam because of your level of distress then it may be possible to get marks awarded for it.

Make sure your school is aware of your situation and keep them updated. If you are holding a university offer then get the school to contact them too as the special consideration process can't cover everything - e.g. missing all your exams would not be possible - so they are aware of your situation as well.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest