The Student Room Group

has a question on loneliness and isolation came up for of mice and men yet ?

this would be fore the B section to the question on a given passage, as I think Curley will come up I'm presuming this question links to Curley the most so I was wondering if it comes up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommy1499
this would be fore the B section to the question on a given passage, as I think Curley will come up I'm presuming this question links to Curley the most so I was wondering if it comes up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are the questions since 2011

June 2011
(a) How do the details in this passage add to your understanding of George and his relationship with Lennie?
(b) How does Steinbeck use their relationship in the novel as a whole to convey ideas about America in the 1930s?

January 2012
How does Steinbeck use details in this passage to present the bunkhouse and its inhabitants?
In the rest of the novel, how does Steinbeck present the lives of ranch workers at that time?

June 2012
In this passage, what methods does Steinbeck use to present Curley’s wife and the attitudes of others to her?
How does Steinbeck present attitudes to women in the society in which the novel is set?

January 2013
In this passage, how does Steinbeck present Crooks? Refer closely to the passage in your answer.
In the rest of the novel how does Steinbeck use Crooks to present attitudes to black people at the time the novel is set?

June 2013
In this passage, how does Steinbeck present Slim? Refer closely to the passage in your answer.
In the rest of the novel, how does Steinbeck show that some people on the ranch are considered more important than others? How does this reflect the society in which the novel is set?

The June 2014 one was about the relationship between George and Lennie and the relationships as a whole in the novel. Looks like a lonliness one hasn't come up yet but I would've guess that would turn up with Candy? Maybe violence in the novel or bullying of outcasts could turn up with Curley?
Reply 2
so are you thinking like me in saying that Curleys pretty likely to come up, I'm thinking either loneliness or maybe destiny of characters,

what can you write about violence and how much are you expected to write for part B , I was thinking around 2. - 2+1/2 pages

Posted from TSR Mobile
so are you thinking like me in saying that Curleys pretty likely to come up, I'm thinking either loneliness or maybe destiny of characters,

what can you write about violence and how much are you expected to write for part B , I was thinking around 2. - 2+1/2 pages

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just been told to try and get in 6-7 PEA paragraphs in so that would probably be around 2.5 pages. What other text are you studying?

For violence, you can talk about the significance of Curley's fight with Lennie, the shooting of Candy's dog, the killing of Curley's wife etc. I think it's just generally the harshness of American society back then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
oh ok, I'm doing inspector calls, what about you

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh ok, I'm doing inspector calls, what about you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing An Inspector Calls too, what do you think will come up?
Reply 6
after a lot of thought and looking at all the past papers I came to a conclusion that it is more than likely going to be Arthur BIRLING that comes up as one of the 2 questions, either that or there's a lot of themes that may come. up. Arthur BIRLING is the only big charicter not to come up yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
after a lot of thought and looking at all the past papers I came to a conclusion that it is more than likely going to be Arthur BIRLING that comes up as one of the 2 questions, either that or there's a lot of themes that may come. up. Arthur BIRLING is the only big charicter not to come up yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I hope he comes up since I've got a lot of good stuff about him. EIther him or a mother/daughter relationship question.
Everyone thought he was coming up last year and he didn't so hopefully the examiners don't pull that on us again. :/
Reply 8
Original post by lubna1998
Yeah, I hope he comes up since I've got a lot of good stuff about him. EIther him or a mother/daughter relationship question.
Everyone thought he was coming up last year and he didn't so hopefully the examiners don't pull that on us again. :/

yeah but the good thing about last year is that it elimated the chance of Eva coming up this year and really only narrows it down to Mr BIRLING unless they repeat characters which has t been done atall in an inspector calls. are you revising everything or just a select few topics, I'm debating whether to make a huge gamble and just revise Mr BIRLING and maybe 1 theme but I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah but the good thing about last year is that it elimated the chance of Eva coming up this year and really only narrows it down to Mr BIRLING unless they repeat characters which has t been done atall in an inspector calls. are you revising everything or just a select few topics, I'm debating whether to make a huge gamble and just revise Mr BIRLING and maybe 1 theme but I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty doing generally everything but focussing more on Mr Birling...which theme are you going to revise?
Reply 10
well the themes that haven't came up yet are Britain form 1912-1945
Young and old
judgement
learning about life,

thank god we only have to answer 1 question on an inspector calls because I don't think I would be able to answer two. I'm going to learn 2 themes as a back up and then Mr BIRLING with a quick look over the other characters the night before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, i made a revision thread for english lit igcse if anyone's interested

We can discuss our thoughts and points which could essentially broaden our views and give each of us more to talk about.
Here's the link if you're interested

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3328657

Btw im doing mice and men and inspector calls as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I need to do some practice questions on BIRLING, don't suppose you have any/ could help me make some up ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does Mr. Birling represent the difference between the ideologies of his generation and the next (his children's generation)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol nvm its a ****ty question 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm I'm not sure I'm just doing the general how does Priestley present Mr birling, even though it's come up on the foundation paper before. Maybe something like how does Priestley make you respond to birling's views?
Reply 16
yh I'm almost certain it's Mr BIRLING but I just need to know the right knowledge for the question that comes up. hopefully it's not a god awful question that's difficult to write 5 different points on with an I tro and conclusion. I try to aim for this and it gets me about 3 pages of good English ,
I just need to remember to write about quotes, the effect on the reader and why priestly uses the particular wording.

am I missing anything else for a good grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh I'm almost certain it's Mr BIRLING but I just need to know the right knowledge for the question that comes up. hopefully it's not a god awful question that's difficult to write 5 different points on with an I tro and conclusion. I try to aim for this and it gets me about 3 pages of good English ,
I just need to remember to write about quotes, the effect on the reader and why priestly uses the particular wording.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe a link to themes? What grade are you aiming for?-

Another question with Mr Birling could be a father daughter relationship, though I'd much rather have a mother/daughter one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use strong vocab, teachers always suggest u plan ur response before starting to write it but i hate doing that so it really depends on you. Remember to use PEE (point, evidence, explanation) and maybe even expansion if you can.
Remember to add your own point of view but try not to use personal pronouns such as "i think"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Strangerdanger
Use strong vocab, teachers always suggest u plan ur response before starting to write it but i hate doing that so it really depends on you. Remember to use PEE (point, evidence, explanation) and maybe even expansion if you can.
Remember to add your own point of view but try not to use personal pronouns such as "i think"

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yeah cheers, all these A* responses that have full marks use suck advanced vocabulary it's insane. although I don't know about you but I need to know how these people manage to write like 6 pages for an inspector calls whilst I can hardly squeeze 3 and a half

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending