The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I should think the links in my earlier post qualify as 'anything'; if there isn't a support group for damaged men, there should be.

You really can't go far wrong if you keep it natural. Why interfere? Aside from religious reasons of course...which are hardly valid IMO.
sssh
Gosh, that's a bit extreme!

i think you're too polite .. IMO, that's way too extreme :biggrin:
Ellsbells3032
a circumsized male is less likely to suffer from infections and in some cases is thought to increase sexual pleasure.
personally i think uncirumsised men just look wierd
female circumsistion is often thought to increase risk of infection and the cutting of the cliterios dramatically reduces female pleasure. also female circumsition includes things like the sowing up of the vaginal opening to prevent a girl having sex before her wedding night.

I think some vaginas look like they got mauled by a pitbull and came off worse. But what are you gonna do. Just because you don't like it it isn't weird. It's NATURAL.

And there are more nerve endings inside a foreskin. If the foreskin is removed, so are the nerve endings. How in the world does that equate to MORE sexual pleasure. You know how subtraction works?
Reply 63
JacquesNoir
I think some vaginas look like they got mauled by a pitbull and came off worse. But what are you gonna do. Just because you don't like it it isn't weird. It's NATURAL.

And there are more nerve endings inside a foreskin. If the foreskin is removed, so are the nerve endings. How in the world does that equate to MORE sexual pleasure. You know how subtraction works?

I've come a bit late to this thread, but I totally agree with you on this issue. Any kind of mutilation/circumcision is unnecessary. But I must say that female is a lot more extreme and has a wider definition - it can take many different forms, as an earlier poster mentions, and you never hear anyone in their right mind arguing for it.

psycho
i think you're too polite .. IMO, that's way too extreme

Ok, fair point. It is insane, I hope the poster told her so!
sssh
People get "uppity" about it because their bodies have been mutilated - to use the rather emotive but still accurate term - or surgically altered without their consent.
I was referring to uncircumcised people getting uppity, I've yet to meet a circumcised man with genuine grievences. I mean if we, the "victims" don't have a problem with it why should you? :biggrin:

Usually I've found people's condemnation arises from their being ill-informed. The worst are these people who've already made up their mind and then go read sensationalist propaganda literature poorly masquerading as "information pages". :rolleyes:

sssh
& you seem rather harsh on your 'friend'.
The oven comment was an expression and he's not my friend. My point was that the impetus behind his complaints are not genuine. He's making an issue out of a non-issue IMO. Much like some here.

If the foreskin is removed, so are the nerve endings. How in the world does that equate to MORE sexual pleasure. You know how subtraction works?
... Do you know what's more sexually sensitive than the foreskin? The glans. Guess what becomes uncovered when you're circumcised?

JacquesNoir
I should think the links in my earlier post qualify as 'anything'; if there isn't a support group for damaged men, there should be.
Wow.. I think you should probably just go to bed now. If they were needed they would exist. Does it not make your brain budge a little as to why don't exist...?
blissy
Not only is it illegal in the UK, it's illegal for a UK citizen to go abroad and do the procedure on a girl/woman.

Why is it OK to snip boys' genitals but not girls'? As long as it's hygenic, I see no moral difference between male and female genital cutting.
Reply 66
ApeXaviour
I was referring to uncircumcised people getting uppity, I've yet to meet a circumcised man with genuine grievences. I mean if we, the "victims" don't have a problem with it why should you? :biggrin:

Usually I've found people's condemnation arises from their being ill-informed. The worst are these people who've already made up their mind and then go read sensationalist propaganda literature poorly masquerading as "information pages". :rolleyes:

The oven comment was an expression and he's not my friend. My point was that the impetus behind his complaints are not genuine. He's making an issue out of a non-issue IMO. Much like some here.

Yeah, I didn't know what to describe him as, I just meant the person you mentioned in your post, I realise that nowhere in that post did you call him your friend. The importance of it as an issue varies from person to person, clearly. Just because you are unaffected by it, it doesn't mean that other people are not going to be and that you should show so little understanding for them. I mean, it's good that you're accepting of what was done to you because otherwise you'd be in trouble, but it'd be nice to show some sympathy. There obviously are people who have a problem with it, as shown by the links Jacquesnoir posted earlier in the thread.
Reply 67
shady lane
Why is it OK to snip boys' genitals but not girls'? As long as it's hygenic, I see no moral difference between male and female genital cutting.

No offence meant, but you're ill-informed.

As abhorrent as I find both of these practices, I am inclined to believe that female genital mutilation/circumcision (logically, these terms appear to be semantically identical) is worse, since it can involve making any sexual pleasure impossible for the female, whereas male circumcision tends to cause a less dramatic reduction.
sssh
No offence meant, but you're ill-informed.

:rofl:
I have a BA in IR/African Studies and have taken a number of classes that address the issue. Having written a few research papers on the practice and having read a number of books on the topic, I'd say I'm probably the most informed person on the practice posting here.

And given the diversity in the way female genital cutting is done, I don't accept that putting a nick in a girl's clitoris (common in West Africa) is somehow morally worse than cutting off the foreskin of a boy. In the same way, any practice that involves unsanitary instruments and excessive bleeding is morally wrong for any gender.
Ape:

Not everything that is needed or that would benefit people 'exists'. Silly little boy.
Reply 70
shady lane
:rofl:
I have a BA in IR/African Studies and have taken a number of classes that address the issue. Having written a few research papers on the practice and having read a number of books on the topic, I'd say I'm probably the most informed person on the practice posting here.

And given the diversity in the way female genital cutting is done, I don't accept that putting a nick in a girl's clitoris (common in West Africa) is somehow morally worse than cutting off the foreskin of a boy. In the same way, any practice that involves unsanitary instruments and excessive bleeding is morally wrong for any gender.

How was I to know that? To me you're just another person on the internet with opinions, and I think the objectivity on the internet that not knowing people's identity creates is a good thing. We're all allowed opinions and just because yours might be the most well-informed it doesn't mean it overrides all of ours...but it's good that you're sharing it still.

You seem to be only considering one of the methods of female circumcision, the one which sounds the least extreme, when from what I'd read*, there appear to be many more methods that cause much more distress (at the time of the procedure and during life).

*admittedly isn't as much as you - a number of articles, internet research and Ayaan Hirsi Ali interviews, but I'm not going into this discussion blind.
G4ry
Yes, it is. But some people born jewish don't know it so they remain un-circumcised, but in the eyes of the religion it's required. It's 8 days old in Judaism and i "think" 13 years old in Islam. Looks like Judaism got the better deal :p:

Both faiths state it should be done after 7 days.
sssh
How was I to know that? To me you're just another person on the internet with opinions, and I think the objectivity on the internet that not knowing people's identity creates is a good thing. We're all allowed opinions and just because yours might be the most well-informed it doesn't mean it overrides all of ours...but it's good that you're sharing it still.

You seem to be only considering one of the methods of female circumcision, the one which sounds the least extreme, when from what I'd read*, there appear to be many more methods that cause much more distress (at the time of the procedure and during life).

*admittedly isn't as much as you - a number of articles, internet research and Ayaan Hirsi Ali interviews, but I'm not going into this discussion blind.

Cutting off a boy's foreskin is comparable to cutting off a girl's clitoral hood, since they are analogous body parts.

If both these procedures are done under the exact same conditions (regarding hygiene, anesthetic, etc.), then they are morally equal, yes?

Who here would approve of parents cutting off their daughters' clitoral hoods at birth, for no medical reason?
I am so confused.

Please help me I'm 15 years old and I cant tell if my penis is circumcised or not.

I'm muslim so I'm guessing it is, but when my penis is not erected it does not look like the circumcised penis' I have seen in diagrams (I've been researching this).

But I also don't have a lot of foreskin, so could it be that only some of my foreskin has been removed? Please help me...so confused :frown:
You could have a partial circumcision. Ask your parents.
more adventurous
Cutting off a boy's foreskin is comparable to cutting off a girl's clitoral hood, since they are analogous body parts.

If both these procedures are done under the exact same conditions (regarding hygiene, anesthetic, etc.), then they are morally equal, yes?

Yep and both equally wrong (assuming no medical reason).
Anon,

I too am a Muslim, and know I was circumcised at 7 days as per our tradition. You should ask your dr to check it over if you're not sure. Or speak to your father.
cutandpasteandtwisty
Yep and both equally wrong (assuming no medical reason).

Its not the same. Removing the foreskin increases sexual pleasure as it exposes the nerve endings in the head immediately. Removing the clitros reduces any sexual pleasure a woman could enjoy.

The former is hygine driven, as per the covenant of Abraham which both Muslims and Jews follow.

The latter is a crime against humanity, and anyone who undertakes it deserves punishment.
Anonymous
I am so confused.

Please help me I'm 15 years old and I cant tell if my penis is circumcised or not.

I'm muslim so I'm guessing it is, but when my penis is not erected it does not look like the circumcised penis' I have seen in diagrams (I've been researching this).
There is a small amount left, however to me it sounds like you're not.

http://www.jackinworld.com/misc/jackcirc.html

If that website doesn't help, then ask your parents?
bored_stiff
Its not the same. Removing the foreskin increases sexual pleasure as it exposes the nerve endings in the head immediately. Removing the clitros reduces any sexual pleasure a woman could enjoy.

Read my post again. Very carefully. :rolleyes:

But incidentally, how would exposing the nerve endings in the head increase sexual pleasure?

Latest