The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bloom77
i'm doing british political history too!
I've got notes on it which may help!

posted from tsr mobile

yes please:d
Original post by Bloom77
I love British political history
Wait, we're still talking about the book with Margaret thatcher in it right lol?
I like unit 2 better than unit 1, but I don't understand how to answer the twenty marker without using knowledge because it's purely source based

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find some parts interesting, but all the BOP crises and inflation, unemployment rates we need to learn isn't fun.
Original post by Michael_student
yes please:d

Lol cool
Is it okay if I send it tomorrow
Actually gone out to celebrate coz I loved the maths exam today ahahha
So I'll send them to you tomorrow morning.
PM me ur email
Do u want any particular chapters, coz sending everything is going to be quite long and some of my notes are written out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Lol cool
Is it okay if I send it tomorrow
Actually gone out to celebrate coz I loved the maths exam today ahahha
So I'll send them to you tomorrow morning.
PM me ur email
Do u want any particular chapters, coz sending everything is going to be quite long and some of my notes are written out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's calm, cheers. Did maths as well and it went great. I was mainly thinking of everything from Macmillan and onwards (quite a lot I know but it would be really appreciated).
Original post by Michael_student
Yeah that's calm, cheers. Did maths as well and it went great. I was mainly thinking of everything from Macmillan and onwards (quite a lot I know but it would be really appreciated).

Not a problem :smile:
I'll get those to you by tomorrow morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone do old poor law and public health here

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Boatman15;55771947"]Anyone do old poor law and public health here

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Yh I am. I'm so terrified about what source they'll give us
Reply 27
Original post by Bloom77
Anyone know how to get twenty out of twenty for source based?
Really stuck
Any starter sentences I can use
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there! Yes the key to getting a good grade on the 20 mark is to make sure that it almost flows, you need to be using words like 'furthermore' 'in addition' 'however' 'it can be seen' don't write the 20 marker source by source as that's where your loose your marks! You need to make sure you are linking the sources together to show the similarities and differences
Original post by alice202
Hi there! Yes the key to getting a good grade on the 20 mark is to make sure that it almost flows, you need to be using words like 'furthermore' 'in addition' 'however' 'it can be seen' don't write the 20 marker source by source as that's where your loose your marks! You need to make sure you are linking the sources together to show the similarities and differences

Ooh thanks
How can I start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I'm doing British political history too!
I've got notes on it which may help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I'm doing British political history as well. Would you mind sending me your notes?
Original post by Bloom77
Anyone know how to get twenty out of twenty for source based?
Really stuck
Any starter sentences I can use
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do but i think we are doing different topics and i am bot sure that it will be useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JakeJamesMorgan
Hi, i am doing conflict and change i believe that is based around the boer war, crimean war and WW1, anyone else sitting this exam?

Hi have you got notes that you can share?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilohrisl
Hey guys
Anyone doing Early British History - henry viii?
How do you feel about that? Confident or not? Is there some sort of pattern and can we have some predictions?
I really hope the early period sort of Anne Boleyn or the later dissolution of the monasteries comes up x

I'm doing this as well, I am dreading the exam though. What techniques do you use to revise?
Hey guys, can you give me some tips on how to answer the source questions for part b? I got an A in the mock, so I don't want to be too overconfident.

Also, I found some good stuff that may help us a lot.

My teacher gave me this key bit of advice: Do part B first and then Part A.

In terms of exam structure and answering the question, here's what I do:

Part A:
Agree - what the sources agree on - what their viewpoint is.
Disagree - what the sources don't agree on - and that will depend on the question.
Conclusion. - good to bring your sources in the conclusion..

So sources 18 and 19 agree with this, whereas source 20 is hypocritical - as an example.

In terms of Part B:

Intro.
You can talk about all the source agreeing and then say which sources agree and disagree. Have a mini judgement including your view.

Agree - What the sources agree on based on the question.
Cross referencing(both needed in part A/B).
So Source 16 agrees with this point
Then expand on own knowledge.
To cross reference - #This is further supported by source 17.
Source 16 demonstrates.....
Surprising admission in source 18 says..

What not to do:
Do not write less reliable,
Do not write provenance of source - unless it is primary source worth commenting on.

In terms of starter sentences:

For disagree:
However, celebrity culture has not beena force for good as it has underined the workign class... Source 18 says whereas source 16 says ....this is suggesting.

Good way to start with the sentences is say what the question is saying - find agree and disagree - 'celebrity culture has been a force for good' Use the quotes from the sources!!!

Here is the answer where I got an A.

How far do sources 10, 11 challenge the view given in source 12 of the relationship between Princess Diana and the media? Explain your answer using the evidence of sources 10, 11, and 12.

Sources 10 and 11 are similar in their alliance that Diana’s relationship with the media was a difficult one, despite knowing their tactics very well. Source 10 illustrates this by saying how she was the ‘most hunted person...of the modern age’. Whereas Source 11 demonstrates that he frequently accompanied Diana without media intrusion’ which lifted ‘Diana would talk about her visits’. This implies Diana was savagely hunted by the media that wanted to gain every single piece of information due to her massive celebrity status that had been built up over the years. This is further however supported by source 11 which goes on to say that the information would...filter its way to Fleet street’. The implication of this was that Diana would never be free from the paparazzi that would exaggerate wild rumors within the media’s papers. Her status had grown too much to prevent the media from being disinterested. Source 10 also supports source 11 by stating that ‘her sons’ will not be allowed to suffer at the hands of the ‘media that drive her to tearful despair’. This suggests that the Royal Family and Diana’s sons would be protected more carefully from the media’s claws. It is also surprising that Lord Spencer acknowledges the fact that the media had ‘hunted her down in the modern age’, showing how the establishment were wary of the media’s attention and reminded of Diana’s fate. Despite this Lord Spencer is more critical of the media and argues that it intruded too much into the personal life of his sister. Therefore both Source 10, and source 11 highlight the powerful grasp of the media over Diana’s personal life, and attempt to challenge the view of source 12 that she was only a skillful ‘manipulator’, and acknowledge that her relationship with the media was a tricky and difficult one to maintain for a celebrity like her.

On the other hand however, Diana’s relationship with the media was judged to be manipulating the media to her own advantage. Source 11 presents this saying Diana was always conscious’ of the media attention surrounding her public profile. Whereas source 12 states she was branded ‘manipulated’ by the Windsors. The suggestion implies that Diana’s consciousness of the media attention, allowed her to manipulate the media to create her own image. As source 11 demonstrates, she was a ‘self publicist’ knowing the tactics of the media and when to use them at the right time. Source 12 also agrees with this as they highlight Diana’s intentions to create her own image rather than rely on the media. The provenance of source 11 is surprising considering that it is a former bodyguard of Diana, and thus is likely to give a less balanced view and be more sympathetic, making the sources less reliable. Although source 12’s provenance comes from the New Yorker, it is a magazine that looks for gossip and is more likely to edit the interview of Diana in the hope of either gaining more significance, or trying to make her look evil, it is still useful in the sense that we are given an understanding of how Diana viewed and skillfully manipulated the media to her advantage, rejecting the narrow outlook of the Royal Family when it came to dealing with the media as highlighted in source 12. Therefore sources 11 and 12 acknowledge her skillful way of manipulating the media, and how she was not always portrayed positively in a positive light when dealing with the media.

On a whole, all the sources acknowledge her relationship with the media was one that was tricky but at the same time manipulative. Source 11 highlights this by saying she was conscious that she was open to criticism’ whereas source 12 highlights that she tried to give the Windsors ‘proper advice, but they wouldn’t listen to her’. Both sources seem to acknowledge the more negative traits of Diana’s relationship with the media. However source 10 disagrees with this and states that she was the most hunted person of the modern age’ and highlights that the royal family must be careful when dealing with the media, and disagrees that she was too manipulative. Therefore it is clear that both sources 10 and 11 attempt to challenge the view of source 12 over Diana’s relationship with the media, and arrive to the conclusion that it was a difficult one to judge.

Do you agree with the view that celebrity culture in the mass media has been a positive force for good?

All sources 16, 17, 18 agree to an extent that celebrity culture in the mass media has been a positive force for good. Sources 16 and 18 agree that it based on ‘rewarding self improvement and self-development’. Whereas source 17 declines this and says that celebrity culture has discouraged motivation in the younger generation of today. Therefore while the sources contain elements of agreement and disagreement, they acknowledge the impact celebrity culture has had on British society.

One of the ways in which celebrity culture has been a force for good is in its drive to inspire ‘self improvement and self-development’. Source 16 agrees with this point as it says that it ‘represents the power of the individual based on characteristics’ that are ‘unique’. This suggests that the celebrity culture has inspired many teenagers to move ahead within life. Celebrities such as David Beckham would have been an inspiration for many disillusioned teenagers to get involved into playing sport such as football by watching live world cup matches and football matches. TV reality shows portrayed in the mass media such as Britian’s Got Talent allowed young talented teenagers in music and dancing to showcase their talents and become famous. Other reality shows targeted at teeangers was the Apprentice where business entrepreneurs could participate in Lord Sugar’s show to become a business partner with him and increase their celebrity profile. Bands such as Oasis were involved with the political establishment during 1997 when Blair met Oasis at an ball. Interviews of famous Hollywood stars such as Robert Downey Jr or Dwayne Johnson would have inspired teenagers who were always getting neglected or rejected and how their struggles would have related to the British youth. This is further supported by source 17 who says celebrities on TV in the ‘1950s….strong….capable….independent’. The nostalgic approach of the retired school teacher hints at his ‘inspiration and aspiration’ and how he believes that the celebrities ‘gave him ambition to do more’ for himself. Source 16 demonstrates that it wasn’t the ‘privileged upbringing’ that would have inspired working class teenagers. The provenance of source 16 is more of a reflection on the basis of celebrity culture, thus making it more useful as it provides information as to what would have inspired teenagers to adjust to celebrity culture. The provenance of source 17 is less reliable as the teacher reaches back to an noglastic era where the culture of the 1950s is different compared to the 2000s, however it is useful in some sense when the source highlights that everyone should have an ‘inspiration’ and an ‘aspiration’. The surprising admission from source 18 says An astonishing 26% think a rich career in entertainment is open to them’ which acknowledges the ‘positive’ nature that celebrity culture has had an impact on the teenage youth. Therefore it is clear that all the sources to an extent acknowledge that celebrity culture has had an ‘positive impact’ on teenagers in British society.

However, celebrity culture has not been a force for good as it has undermined the young teenage working class to become dependent and lazy. Source 18 says work hard is a mug’s game’, whereas source 16 says Big Brother, allow the public to decide who can become celebrities’. This is suggesting that since teenagers spend so much time on television, they are detracted from social life and are completely hypnotized by the celebrity culture status. Big Brother in the past has had its fair share of scandals, especially when it was convicted of its racism controversy where Bollywood Actress was racially abused by celebrity Jade Goody. The X factor in the past has been accused of fixing votes for winners. Source 18 in this sense disagrees with source 16 that there is ‘democratisation’ in celebrity culture.This would imply that if the public chose who became ‘celebrities’ than it could be anyone. This is supported by source 18 which says that 11 of 16 to 19 year olds...waiting to be discovered by a reality TV programme’. This suggests that young teenagers are willing to do anything to be featured on television. The source highlights a more negative trait of British youth than either in source 16 and source 17. It is also highlighting that with youth unemployment high, the celebrity culture is a de-motivational force that is destroying the workforce by corrupting them, and suggests that teeangers are unlikely to go Jobcentres to gain work if they are influenced too much by celebrity culture. The provenance of source 18 is more likely to be left wing, and thus more critical of the youth generation that they believe is likely to be corrupted by the mass media. It does make the source less reliable however with its criticism focusing on only one specific section of society which is the youth and not considering the whole of society that has been influenced by celebrity culture in the mass media. Therefore it is clear that sources 18 seem to highlight that celebrity culture has influenced the young working class teeanger to become demotivated and is unlikely to get a job and have utopian visions of becoming famous.

In conclusion, on a whole, all the sources acknowledge the extent of celebrity’s culture in the mass media on British culture. Source 16 and source 17 are highlighting that celebrity culture has evolved from a ‘privileged background’ to a place where anyone can become a celebrity with the advent of new reality shows such as ‘Big Brother’. However, source 18 is more hypocritical of the advent of celebrity’s culture ‘force for good’ and highlights that it has demotivated the young working class into fantasy delusions about becoming rich and famous. On the other hand however, it is also unlikely that this is true since the newspaper is only targeting a very narrow specific section of society and is not considering the whole of society that could have been potentially influenced by celebrity culture in the mass media.
Also here are some things which may help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/re...nomic_problems

http://www.revisionworld.com/a2-leve...itish-politics
http://jonesweb4history.weebly.com/year-9.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/history/labour/
http://www.hodderplus.co.uk/myrevisi...level-history/

How do I structure a Section A style answer?
How far do sources 1, 2 and 3 agree that......
What is this question like?
- This wants you to understand three sources and explain how much they agree with an argument based on WHAT They argue and how RELIABLE and USEFUL They are as evidence.
- It wants you to be able to compare and contrast the sources and evaluate them.
Introduction
Briefly cross- reference the sources by explaining which sources agree with the statement and which sources disagree with the statement
Give your line of argument on the question in other words answer it! How far do the sources agree on the statement that you have been given. In this bit you should have already thought about the reliability of the sources in your planning for this and made a judgement on how far they agree based on their weight (whether their content agrees with it and whether they are useful pieces of evidence)
Paragraph one: Argue which sources agree with the question and how far they agree
- Select the source that agrees with the statement to the largest extent in terms of it’s content.
- Explain how it agrees with the statement (use small quotes and explain these)
- Back it up with references to bits of any of the other two sources that also agree (corroborate) with the statement (here you are CROSS-REFERNCING)
- Then evaluate how much weight the source/s you have used actually give to the statement in the questions by considering their nature, origin and purpose
- Reach a judgement on therefore how far the sources you have used in this paragraph agree with the statement

Paragraph two:
- Select the source/s that disagrees with the statement in terms of their content.
- Explain how they disagree with the statement (use small quotes and explain these). When you explain you must explain how the sources agree (CROSS-REFERENCING) with each other or perhaps how they both agree with the statement but in different ways. Also clearly compare tem to the source/ sources you used in paragraph 1 how do these sources challenge those used in paragraph 1?
- Then evaluate how much weight the source/s you have used actually give against statement in the questions by considering their nature, origin and purpose
- Reach a judgement on therefore how far the sources you have used in this paragraph disagree with the statement
Conclusion
Sum up how far the sources agree with the statement based on their content and reliability
Do this by weighing up the evidence refer to all sources in the conclusion

How do I structure section B style answers?
Section B is worth 40 marks
Use sources.........and your own knowledge.
Do you accept/ agree with the view that.............
Explain your answer using the sources and your own knowledge

It is asking you to examine the three sources to debate the view in the question using the three sources and your own knowledge.
Introduction
Briefly cross- reference the sources by explaining which sources agree with the statement and which sources disagree with the statement
Give your line of argument on the question in other words answer it! How far do you agree with the view in the question based on the views of the sources, their validity and your own knowledge.

Main part 1: Consider the sources that agree with the statement and support and evaluate them with your own knowledge
- Select the sources that agree with the view in the question
- Explain the message of the sources in your own words and how they relate to the question. Make sure you incorporate small quotes to reinforce your points
- Use your own knowledge to support the arguments of the sources in relation to the question
- Evaluate the content, origin and purpose of the sources (in other words challenge their reliability, typicality, completeness) and also use your own knowledge to challenge the views of the sources
- LINK back to the question by making a judgement therefore on how far the statement in the question is correct based on the two sources you have evaluated and your own knowledge
Main part 2
- Select the source that appears to disagree with the view in the question
- Explain how it disagrees and why it disagrees. Make sure you incorporate small quotes to reinforce your points
- Develop the views of the source by using your own knowledge
- Evaluate the content, origin and purpose of the source (in other words explore it’s reliability, typicality, completeness)
- Challenge the source with your own knowledge
- LINK back to the question by making a judgement therefore on how far the statement in the question is correct based on the source you have evaluated and your own knowledge
Conclusion
- Reach a clear judgment on the question based on discriminating use of the source and your own knowledge

It isn't clear that section B should be 2 paragraphs for, two against.
for Section B:
Introduction
2 paragraphs for the question
2 paragraphs against the question
Conclusion

50 minutes 10 mins planning
40 marks 24 own k and 16 sources.

Also make sure you:
Cross reference the sources in each paragraph
Avoid telling the story and focus on the question
Make your intro clear context and refer to the sources
Reach a judgement in the conclusion and refer to the weighting of the sources
Avoid paraphrasing the sources

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately, I could not get at the January 2010 papers because I do not have access, but I was allowed to see the January 2009 paper, which I assume is much the same.
It seemed to me that the (a.) questions went like this:

How far do the sources suggest ... Explain your answer, using the evidence of the Sources.

Now, as I say, when I went to the markscheme, it was very obscure, but it is against this that your answer will be measured, so it is worth reading it a few times and stripping out the elements that the examiners are looking for:

Reaches a judgement in relation to the issue posed by the question supported by careful examination of the evidence of the sources. The sources are cross-referenced and the elements of challenge and corroboration are analysed. The issues raised by the process of comparison are used to address the specific enquiry. The attributes of the source are taken into account in order to establish what weight the content they will bear in relation to the specific enquiry. In addressing ‘how far’ the sources are used in combination.

Basically, what the examiner wants you to do is to answer the question!
This is a 'how far' question, so it is going to offer two (or more) possible answers.
The first possibility is that the assertion ('suggestion') in the question is not true. First, look at the CONTENT ('evidence') of those sources which contradict ('challenge') the assertion and explain how they do so. Remember that you will need to look at their implication/inference as well as just their surface content to do this 'carefully'. Next, look at the provenance ('attributes' - ie nature, origin and purpose') of those sources to comment on what 'weight' they will carry in relation to the specific enquiry (ie can you trust them to be telling the truth/ know what they are talking about).

Next, address the second possibility - that the assertion ('suggestion') in the question is true. Again, look (again 'carefully') at the CONTENT of those sources which support ('corroborate') the assertion and explain how they do so. Next, look at the provenance ('attributes' - ie nature, origin and purpose') of those sources to comment on what 'weight' they will carry in relation to the specific enquiry (ie can you trust them to be telling the truth/ know what they are talking about). Throughout this process you will be wanting to acknowledge/point out that this directly contradicts what was said/implied by the sources you addressed in the first section of your essay.

Finally, write a conclusion which considers, and finds a solution for, the apparent dichotomy between the two sides. Usually it will suggest a halfway house, but it might come down on one side or the other. Whatever, you MUST make a judgement (it is not enough so say that there 'is evidnece for both sides' and cop out). Note that this must address the question directly, that it will draw on points you have made in the first two sections of your essay, but also - if it is to meet the requirements of the markscheme - it will direct and explicitly compare ('combine') the opposing sources.

In my part B answers I'm getting low marks, because of my structure. However I think its probably due to my lack of understanding with the question itself.
It seemed to me that the (b.) questions went like this:

Do you agree with the view that... Explain your answer, using the evidence of the Sources and your own knowledge.

The 'do you agree' is just another either/or question - which you will again answer 'on the one hand...on the other...in conclusion' (thesis-antithesis-synthesis), in much the same way as you did the (a.) question. Nothing very frightening there.
But the second thing to note is that this question, unlike question (a.), asks you to use your own knowledge as well.
However, this time the markscheme is even worse:

Candidates offer an analytical response which relates well to the focus of the question and which shows some understanding of the key issues contained in it. The analysis will be supported by accurate factual material which will be mostly relevant to the question asked.

Nevetheless, let's try to see how you can interpret this to gain better marks than you are.
Firstly, what does it mean when it requires 'an analytical response which relates well to the focus of the question'? The answer is that it requires you to address this question IN MUCH THE SAME WAY AS YOU DID THE (a.) QUESTION, using thesis-antithesis-synthesis -thatis your 'analysis').
Secondly, let's remember that when it asks for 'accurate factual material' it means:
1. facts and ideas that YOU know about the issue in question
2. points and ideas which other historians have made about the issue in question (ie its 'historiography')- be specific, mentioning names and books wherever possible.

Thus, to full-out your strategy (even though it is almost exactly what I said above:
Firstly, discuss the ideas/evidence which suggest that the suggested idea ('focus' of the question) is not true. First, look at the CONTENT of those sources which contradict the idea and explain how they do so. Remember that you will need to look at their implication/inference as well as just their surface content. Next, look at the nature, origin and purpose of those sources to comment on what 'weight' they will carry in relation to the specific enquiry (ie can you trust them to be telling the truth/ know what they are talking about. But also, throughout this process, use also your own knowledge of the facts and historiography to weigh the sources.

Next, address the second possibility - that the focus issue in the question is true. Again, look carefully at the CONTENT of those sources which support the assertion and explain how they do so. Next, look at the provenance (of those sources to comment on what 'weight' they will carry in relation to the specific enquiry - but also, again, throughout this section, use your own knowledge of the facts and historiography to weigh the sources. Remember also to acknowledge/point out that this directly contradicts what was said/implied by the sources you addressed in the first section of your essay.

Finally, write a conclusion which considers, and finds a solution for, the apparent dichotomy between the two sides. Usually it will suggest a halfway house, but it might come down on one side or the other. Whatever, you MUST make a judgement (it is not enough so say that there 'is evidnece for both sides' and cop out). Note that this must address the question directly, that it will draw on points you have made in the first two sections of your essay, and also - if it is to meet the requirements of the markscheme - it will direct and explicitly compare ('combine') the opposing sources. However, also,make sure you have held back telling facts and historiographical points which you can bring out, so that you can explicitly 'support' your final judgement of the issue and the sources.

Also, another good tip - Highlight the question!!!! I suggest having two highlighters, one for agree and disagree. That way it becomes easier for you to cross reference and find which ones agree and disagree.
Also for those studying British History - 1945-2000s, what do you predict will come in th papers? It could be anything.

Checking the 2014 paper, the Iraq Dossier and The Beatles seem to be ok for Part B.
Any tips on getting high mark for question b?
Still around 40-ish and really want to pull it up to a higher band :frown:
Original post by prepdream
Any tips on getting high mark for question b?
Still around 40-ish and really want to pull it up to a higher band :frown:

How do I structure section B style answers?
Section B is worth 40 marks
Use sources.........and your own knowledge.
Do you accept/ agree with the view that.............
Explain your answer using the sources and your own knowledge

It is asking you to examine the three sources to debate the view in the question using the three sources and your own knowledge.
Introduction
Give your line of argument on the question in other words answer it! How far do you agree with the view in the question based on the views of the sources, their validity and your own knowledge.

Main part 1: Consider the sources that agree with the statement and support and evaluate them with your own knowledge
- Select the sources that agree with the view in the question
- Explain the message of the sources in your own words and how they relate to the question. Make sure you incorporate small quotes to reinforce your points
- Use your own knowledge to support the arguments of the sources in relation to the question
- Evaluate the content, origin and purpose of the sources (in other words challenge their reliability, typicality, completeness) and also use your own knowledge to challenge the views of the sources
- LINK back to the question by making a judgement therefore on how far the statement in the question is correct based on the two sources you have evaluated and your own knowledge
Main part 2
- Select the source that appears to disagree with the view in the question
- Explain how it disagrees and why it disagrees. Make sure you incorporate small quotes to reinforce your points
- Develop the views of the source by using your own knowledge
- Evaluate the content, origin and purpose of the source (in other words explore it’s reliability, typicality, completeness)
- Challenge the source with your own knowledge
- LINK back to the question by making a judgement therefore on how far the statement in the question is correct based on the source you have evaluated and your own knowledge
Conclusion
- Reach a clear judgment on the question based on discriminating use of the source and your own knowledge

It isn't clear that section B should be 2 paragraphs for, two against.
for Section B:
Introduction
2 paragraphs for the question
2 paragraphs against the question
Conclusion

50 minutes 10 mins planning
40 marks 24 own k and 16 sources.

Also make sure you:
Cross reference the sources in each paragraph
Avoid telling the story and focus on the question
Make your intro clear context and refer to the sources
Reach a judgement in the conclusion and refer to the weighting of the sources