The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Let's talk! Ask a current student anything about the University of Birmingham :)

Hello everyone,

I am a third year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! :biggrin: I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you :smile:

ASK AWAY! :biggrin:

Eleanor
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Where did you stay in first year and how was it?
And do you have any experience/friends in jarratt hall, liberty court or victoria hall?
Also how long did it take you to get used to the city/city centre and where stuff is? THANK YOU!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Hi Lolac, I stayed in Tennis courts in my first year and I loved it. I was on meal plan and had shared bathroom facilities (which are no problem at all by the way). I really enjoyed being on meal plan as it allowed me to settle in to university and not have to worry about cooking etc. It was also a really social thing going to dinner with the people in your block and I definitely miss it this year! The Vale is also such a beautiful place to be (I'd recommend looking at photos on the website) and the walk was about 10-15 mins from tennis courts (the closest accommodation to campus on the vale). During summer I worked on a residential where I stayed in Victoria hall and I was honestly shocked at how nice it was, it's so close to campus (literally a 2 minute walk) and you get an ensuite. I absolutely loved living on the Vale but if I could do it again I would definitely consider staying in Victoria Halls. I have friends who stayed in Victoria halls and actually stayed there again in their second year and friends who lived in Jaratt hall (next door to Victoria halls) and at Liberty court. They're all really nice places to live and have really good communal kitchen/living room areas.

In terms of getting to know the city in quite local so I didn't really need to get used to it. But the University of Birmingjam is the only Univeristy with its own train station, there is also a station in Selly oak where Victoria and Jarrat Hall are. It's about a 5 minute journey into the city centre and you're right by the Bullring which is a huge shopping centre. There's loads to do in Birmingham and the nightlife is also great too!

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me! Eleanor :smile:

Original post by lolac
Hi! Where did you stay in first year and how was it?
And do you have any experience/friends in jarratt hall, liberty court or victoria hall?
Also how long did it take you to get used to the city/city centre and where stuff is? THANK YOU!
Reply 3
Original post by Eleanor_94
Hi Lolac, I stayed in Tennis courts in my first year and I loved it. I was on meal plan and had shared bathroom facilities (which are no problem at all by the way). I really enjoyed being on meal plan as it allowed me to settle in to university and not have to worry about cooking etc. It was also a really social thing going to dinner with the people in your block and I definitely miss it this year! The Vale is also such a beautiful place to be (I'd recommend looking at photos on the website) and the walk was about 10-15 mins from tennis courts (the closest accommodation to campus on the vale). During summer I worked on a residential where I stayed in Victoria hall and I was honestly shocked at how nice it was, it's so close to campus (literally a 2 minute walk) and you get an ensuite. I absolutely loved living on the Vale but if I could do it again I would definitely consider staying in Victoria Halls. I have friends who stayed in Victoria halls and actually stayed there again in their second year and friends who lived in Jaratt hall (next door to Victoria halls) and at Liberty court. They're all really nice places to live and have really good communal kitchen/living room areas.

In terms of getting to know the city in quite local so I didn't really need to get used to it. But the University of Birmingjam is the only Univeristy with its own train station, there is also a station in Selly oak where Victoria and Jarrat Hall are. It's about a 5 minute journey into the city centre and you're right by the Bullring which is a huge shopping centre. There's loads to do in Birmingham and the nightlife is also great too!

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me! Eleanor :smile:

Aw thanks this was really helpful <3
Reply 4
Hello everyone,

I am a second year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! :biggrin: I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you :smile:

ASK AWAY! :biggrin:

Eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

Firstly, this is really sweet of you, as your advice can make a huge difference. I have studied my undergrad at Aston in Birmingham, but stayed on campus all three years. I am not familiar with the Edgbaston areas of Birmingham. I have gained a place to do a Teacher Training Course, so will be on placements most of my time. Therefore, I need a place where I can work and am not to fussed about the social aspects of uni life, since i did all of that during my undergrad.

I would like an ensuite place - which halls do u recommend?

Also would it be possible to being my car up to uni? :O .. lol

im not too sure if I could, or if i would be better staying in private halls - but the thing is i do not know anyone that is studying the same course as me - or use facebook - so im kind of in a sticky situation.

Any advice would be great - :smile: or if anyone is studying a Secondary Biology Teacher training course.

Reply 5
Hello Veer234,

Firstly congratulations on getting onto a teacher training course! That's really exciting :biggrin:

It really depends on what your requirements are and what your budget is too. If you're not too fussed about the social aspects of uni life as such I would maybe look into our Selly oak village accommodation (Jarratt Hall) and third party accommodation such as Victoria Halls. If you're going on placements quite a lot it may be useful that Victoria and Jarratt hall are right next to Selly oak train station (4 minute walk). There is also accommodation available on the Vale for postgraduate students and studio apartments too if that's something you'd prefer. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/accommodation/halls/index.aspx The Vale does have parking spaces although you do have to apply for a permit, we usually discourage students from bringing their cars seeing as the transport links are so good but if you're going on placemen most days i can see how your car would be useful. I believe there are very limited parking spaces available at Victoria Hall but there aren't any on site at Jarratt Hall.

I hope this is helpful and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me :biggrin:

Eleanor

Original post by Veer234
Hi Eleanor,

Firstly, this is really sweet of you, as your advice can make a huge difference. I have studied my undergrad at Aston in Birmingham, but stayed on campus all three years. I am not familiar with the Edgbaston areas of Birmingham. I have gained a place to do a Teacher Training Course, so will be on placements most of my time. Therefore, I need a place where I can work and am not to fussed about the social aspects of uni life, since i did all of that during my undergrad.

I would like an ensuite place - which halls do u recommend?

Also would it be possible to being my car up to uni? :O .. lol

im not too sure if I could, or if i would be better staying in private halls - but the thing is i do not know anyone that is studying the same course as me - or use facebook - so im kind of in a sticky situation.

Any advice would be great - :smile: or if anyone is studying a Secondary Biology Teacher training course.

Reply 6
Are both Jarrett and Victoria postgraduate halls? As I don't want to stay with undergraduates. Also, Yh I could get a parking permit I guess or buses to my schools if they are close. I do want to stay on campus. Although, a few people have advised me to search for ppl on my course so that we can rent a house together and that way I can keep my vehicle outside the house. But the thing is I haven't thought about renting a house with ppl I don't know. I don't know if it's my thing. I'd rather stay on halls have my own ensuite self catering shared kitchen and if somehow I could park my car. Aren't there any roads near by where I could park for instance? And then walk to my room.
Hello Eleanor,
I'm hoping to brush up my French language skills at uni.So I would just like to know how the language courses for non-language students are at Bham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Eleanor,

I hold an insurance offer for Birmingham to do Sport and Exercise science, and was just wondering if you hear good things about the course?
And also what accommodation I am likely to be allocated if I get into Birmingham as my insurance!
I put down Tennis courts as my first option, mason as second and then a couple of other as my other options but I can't remember which!

Thanks,

Josh
Reply 9
Original post by Championt1
Hello Eleanor,
I'm hoping to brush up my French language skills at uni.So I would just like to know how the language courses for non-language students are at Bham?

Hello Championt1, I'm really sorry but I don't know much about this. However, when I was in first year I received an email which offered free language courses and French was an option. I'm not sure if this will be running when you are at Birmingham but I presume it will be. I hope this helps.

Eleanor :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Veer234
Are both Jarrett and Victoria postgraduate halls? As I don't want to stay with undergraduates. Also, Yh I could get a parking permit I guess or buses to my schools if they are close. I do want to stay on campus. Although, a few people have advised me to search for ppl on my course so that we can rent a house together and that way I can keep my vehicle outside the house. But the thing is I haven't thought about renting a house with ppl I don't know. I don't know if it's my thing. I'd rather stay on halls have my own ensuite self catering shared kitchen and if somehow I could park my car. Aren't there any roads near by where I could park for instance? And then walk to my room.

Hello Veer234, there is no completely post graduate accomodation available. However, if you got in contact with the accomodation office at Birmingham, or contacted Victoria halls you could ask to be put specifically with post graduate students in a flat. There are roads you could park on you might just have to walk a little bit to get to it. But I would really recommend getting in contact with the accomodation office and getting their opinion, they're really helpful. Eleanor
Reply 11
Original post by JoshHarris
Hi Eleanor,

I hold an insurance offer for Birmingham to do Sport and Exercise science, and was just wondering if you hear good things about the course?
And also what accommodation I am likely to be allocated if I get into Birmingham as my insurance!
I put down Tennis courts as my first option, mason as second and then a couple of other as my other options but I can't remember which!

Thanks,

Josh

Hello Josh, my housemate does Sport and Exercise science and she really enjoys it, she has a reasonable amount of work and finds the course really interesting and every day is different because of the practical activities.

The accomodation is allocated using a randomised system (obviously not completely random, but within your choices). Seeing, as you've put Birmingham as your insurance those that have put it as their firm will be allocated their top choice first. So I'm not sure what the likelihood would be of you getting your top accomodation choices. I'd recommend contacting accomodation services and asking their opinion. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask me. Eleanor )
Reply 12
Hello Veer234, there is no completely post graduate accomodation available. However, if you got in contact with the accomodation office at Birmingham, or contacted Victoria halls you could ask to be put specifically with post graduate students in a flat. There are roads you could park on you might just have to walk a little bit to get to it. But I would really recommend getting in contact with the accomodation office and getting their opinion, they're really helpful. Eleanor

Thank you so much for your time and comments. Really, ppl like you make me smile :smile:
Are you allowed friends or guests to stay in your room at Birmingham, if not then which halls? Thanks! x
Original post by Championt1
Hello Eleanor,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :-) I'm also a student at Birmingham (me and Eleanor make a good team yeah?) There are 2 options for this. Depending on your course you might be able to take French as a Module Outside your Main Discipline (MOMD) which would mean 20 credits (1/6 of the year) would be in French instead of your main degree.If you can't do an MOMD there is always languages for all, which is a free service for anyone not doing a language so you can use that to brush up on your French, that's about 3-4 hours a weekHope that helps!
I've heard that Beermingham is a very rough city from my Geology teacher.
I don't believe this, considering she says Manchester and Newcastle aren't as rough.
Would you say that Beermingham is a pleasant city to live in itself? I have heard otherwise. And when answering, I am assuming that you're not a native resident of Beermingham? You are from somewhere else?
Original post by Shane Webb
I've heard that Beermingham is a very rough city from my Geology teacher.
I don't believe this, considering she says Manchester and Newcastle aren't as rough.
Would you say that Beermingham is a pleasant city to live in itself? I have heard otherwise. And when answering, I am assuming that you're not a native resident of Beermingham? You are from somewhere else?

Hi Shane,

I grew up about 15 miles from the city centre and now live by the uni. Birmingham has a bad reputation from the 80s hence why a lot of people of teachers' ages think it is rough. It's a big city so it's going to be different from living rurally but I certainly don't fee unsafe here and our crime rates are certainly lower than most big cities!

Hope that helps
Original post by TomGidders
Hi Shane,

I grew up about 15 miles from the city centre and now live by the uni. Birmingham has a bad reputation from the 80s hence why a lot of people of teachers' ages think it is rough. It's a big city so it's going to be different from living rurally but I certainly don't fee unsafe here and our crime rates are certainly lower than most big cities!

Hope that helps

Thanks. That does help explain this mentality people in Northern Ireland and elsewhere seem to have about Birmingham.
I've never been there at all, so I'll probably have to check it out.
Original post by Shane Webb
Thanks. That does help explain this mentality people in Northern Ireland and elsewhere seem to have about Birmingham.
I've never been there at all, so I'll probably have to check it out.

Well we have open days on June 26th and 27th, 12th September and 17th October :-)
Reply 19
Original post by JessLucyJayne
Are you allowed friends or guests to stay in your room at Birmingham, if not then which halls? Thanks! x

Hello JessLucyJane, you're allowed friends or guests to stay in your room at uni. It's your home for the year so you are more than welcome to have people over. Eleanor :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending