The Student Room Group

How to deal with police that carry guns

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaronlowe
This'll be why the chief commissioner is being called to resign by MSPs. Cause cops never lie. Actually cop lie is an anagram of police lol

Riddle me this Mr Aaron "dylann roof shoot to wound school of bollo*ks nobody believes" Lowe; why are MSPs calling for him to resign and what knowledge do they have of armed response units?
Why cant you guys converse like adults and tone it down a bit? I'm assuming you're guys because women are usually more mature. Actually I didn't pay a penny for the course as it was funded by the university :tongue:

We will when you do. Perhaps you could prove your maturity by acting your age, rather than your shoe size? That is, if you actually are this 40-odd yr old you're claiming to be...
They always have a reason, like he was threatening me with his back or I didn't know he had a heart condition when I punched him in the back. Or he looked like the other guy so I broke his neck. Or when he said he couldn't breath he was lying thats why he died. Or we were ok to hide the murder weapon we killed him with cause we were under pressure. Or I was right to execute those two civilians for having a noisy car. Etc etc etc etc etc.....

Citations for evidence of situations like these occurring please.
Reply 63
Original post by tim_123
Your taking that wayyyyy out of context.

The police, and anyone else for that matter, have the right to use reasonable force, when feeling threatened. For example, if you throw your sandwhich at an armed cop in a sandwhich shop, he'll probably nick you. if you were to pull a knife on said cop, or any member of the public, he would probably shoot you, deeming that you posed an immediate threat to innocent by standers. I just dont comprehend how this is a bad thing?!

I would only agree with you if our cops acted in the way that american cops did, but they dont.

Reasonable force somehow turns very quickly to lethal force. I know cause my sisters boyfriend was stationed in Ireland. He shot a 14 year old kid in the back killing him. I guess kids are a real threat aren't they? Shoot them all. That guy in Norway or wherever had the right idea right? One of those kids could have grown up to be the next hitler. He did us all a favour right.
Reply 64
Original post by napkinsquirrel
Riddle me this Mr Aaron "dylann roof shoot to wound school of bollo*ks nobody believes" Lowe; why are MSPs calling for him to resign and what knowledge do they have of armed response units?

From what I can gather they are calling him to resign because they ordered him to have armed bobbies recalled. He promised to do this then one year later it transpired he hadn't. Lying to MSPs is a sackable offence
Reply 65
Original post by tim_123
ahhh another rediculous thread on tsr. Armed police in the uk are actually pretty damn good compared to the rest of the world. By that I mean they very rarely make mistakes, they are extremely well trained, and unlike yank coppers, don't shoot the first thing that looks at them funny.

Reference the "shoot to wound" argument, if you really had done "gun training" (lol) you would know that the shorter the barrel, the less accurate the weapon. Trying to even hit a target with a pistol over 25m away is pretty hard, let alone aiming for a leg. And even then, hit the femoral artery and it's all over.

On just my second lesson I managed to get 4 bullets through the same bullet hole 1cm NW of bullseye from 25 yards without visual aid. Maybe I'm above average but they would choose people who are above average for their job. The reason why I couldn't hit bullseye was because of a natural imbalance with my eyes. With further training that could have been compensated for but like I said Snowball put at end to that and possibly caused the change in the law mentioned.
Turn on your TV. I am not your evidence bitch lol. What planet have you been living on? Its there right in front of your face if you would but just open your eyes:facepalm:

I read the news and use the internet; I've formed my own opinions. If you think I'm wrong, the onus is on you to correct me and everyone else on this thread, using actual credible information otherwise your argument is nothing but speculation and fallacy; something so far removed from the real world that you have to lay claim to wild and vague anecdotes and then cry when people ask you for evidence. But good going, scientists will have probably found a remedy that mental disability of yours by the turn of the century.
Turn on your TV. I am not your evidence bitch lol. What planet have you been living on? Its there right in front of your face if you would but just open your eyes:facepalm:

When you present a position and say "this is the case", the onus is on you to prove it, not to us to prove you wrong.
On just my second lesson I managed to get 4 bullets through the same bullet hole 1cm NW of bullseye from 25 yards without visual aid. Maybe I'm above average but they would choose people who are above average for their job. The reason why I couldn't hit bullseye was because of a natural imbalance with my eyes. With further training that could have been compensated for but like I said Snowball put at end to that and possibly caused the change in the law mentioned.

With a handgun?

Balls.

I was in the armed forces, when we used handguns on a range it was at a maximum of 10m.

Any handgun you used would have been a 9mm calibre. You're suggesting to got 4 'bullets' in a 10mm grouping? And on your second lesson no less?

You're talking absolute nonsense and not a single soul is going to believe you.

Wow, a sub MOA grouping at 25m with a short barreled 9mm. With that kind of skill you should be in the Olympics.
Original post by napkinsquirrel
I read the news and use the internet; I've formed my own opinions. If you think I'm wrong, the onus is on you to correct me and everyone else on this thread, using actual credible information otherwise your argument is nothing but speculation and fallacy; something so far removed from the real world that you have to lay claim to wild and vague anecdotes and then cry when people ask you for evidence. But good going, scientists will have probably found a remedy that mental disability of yours by the turn of the century.

Original post by Drewski
When you present a position and say "this is the case", the onus is on you to prove it, not to us to prove you wrong.

PRSOM! :biggrin:

Two bobbies on the beat on the streets of Strathclyde. Want them to visit your kids school?

From an English national newspaper.

that image is in Manchester and shows armed police outside the Labour party AGM in 2008
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/armed-police-officers-patrol-outside-manchester-central-in-news-photo/82914400
Original post by domonict
that image is in Manchester and shows armed police outside the Labour party AGM in 2008
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/armed-police-officers-patrol-outside-manchester-central-in-news-photo/82914400

Hahaha! Good spot!
Reply 73
Original post by Drewski
With a handgun?

Balls.

I was in the armed forces, when we used handguns on a range it was at a maximum of 10m.

Any handgun you used would have been a 9mm calibre. You're suggesting to got 4 'bullets' in a 10mm grouping? And on your second lesson no less?

You're talking absolute nonsense and not a single soul is going to believe you.

Never said I used handguns. That's your assumption.
Never said I used handguns. That's your assumption.

No. You said you had "gun training" at a club that was shut after the post-Dunblane furore.

The only clubs and types of shooting that were closed down were those using pistols. Riflery has kept on going. I know, because I used a perfectly legal civilian rifle club between 1998 and 2005.

Therefore the direct implication of what you said was that you used handguns, not rifles. And the previous 3 or 4 times myself and other posters have referred to your use of handguns, you didn't mention anything.

However, I'm not surprised that you're having trouble keeping track of what you've said as this many lies are bound to be confusing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by domonict

The caption I got from the newspaper by that image is:
"Members of Strathclyde Police’s armed response unit are now being allowed to carry weapons even when not responding to a firearms incident."

So they used an image from Manchester. How was I supposed to know?

The caption from this newspaper reads:

Barely a week goes by without new details on how House and Police Scotland have been trying to silence critics or cover up official findings emerging, their attitude continually marked by its complacency and arrogance. However, this summer matters did seem to be coming to a head, with mounting public outrage over armed officers on normal patrols. This didn’t stop House responding in June by saying that he didn’t want his “experienced officers” with guns, tucked away from the public as an “elite unit”. Criticisms were “almost mischievous”, with this not “the big issue people say it is”. Shamefully, he also cited the example of the Dunblane school massacre as a reason for police needing to carry guns in rural communities.

Don't shoot the messenger lol
Reply 76
Original post by Drewski
No. You said you had "gun training" at a club that was shut after the post-Dunblane furore.

The only clubs and types of shooting that were closed down were those using pistols. Riflery has kept on going. I know, because I used a perfectly legal civilian rifle club between 1998 and 2005.

Therefore the direct implication of what you said was that you used handguns, not rifles.

However, I'm not surprised you can't keep yourself understood with the amount of lies you're trying to keep up at once.

That's your assumption. A lot of gun clubs were shut down due to lack of funds because of the negative media surrounding Dunblane and pushed by the Snowball campaign. And note, I don't need to insult you every time I post yet I am claimed to be the one that needs to grow up lol. You must have a very twisted belief of maturity if that's what you think.
Reply 77
The guns they carry aren't for their protection, they are to plant on their next victim.

The caption from this newspaper reads:

Barely a week goes by without new details on how House and Police Scotland have been trying to silence critics or cover up official findings emerging, their attitude continually marked by its complacency and arrogance. However, this summer matters did seem to be coming to a head, with mounting public outrage over armed officers on normal patrols. This didn’t stop House responding in June by saying that he didn’t want his “experienced officers” with guns, tucked away from the public as an “elite unit”. Criticisms were “almost mischievous”, with this not “the big issue people say it is”. Shamefully, he also cited the example of the Dunblane school massacre as a reason for police needing to carry guns in rural communities.

Don't shoot the messenger lol

You do realise that that quote backs us up, right? That shows that armed police in Scotland are rare, and that they are being put on streets to prove that they're there, rather than a sign that all police ate routinely armed.

Quite appropriately for this thread, you're shooting yourself in the foot.
Reply 79
Original post by Drewski
You do realise that that quote backs us up, right? That shows that armed police in Scotland are rare, and that they are being put on streets to prove that they're there, rather than a sign that all police ate routinely armed.

Quite appropriately for this thread, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Explain. I don't see it - honestly.

In December 2012, Police Scotland announced that (when they came into existence the next year), they would set up armed response units all across Scotland. The reasoning seemed sound; serious questions were asked when taxi driver Derrick Bird killed 12 people in a massacre in Cumbria. The slow police response was blamed on the lack of armed police outside of major population centres despite the fact you’re far more likely to own a gun if you stay on a farm than in a tenement. There are a tiny number of armed incidents in Scotland, so the reasoning goes that, if lightning were to strike, it wouldn’t necessarily be outside the Buchanan Galleries or right in the middle of Princes Street.
And so, almost unnoticed, we now have 400 armed police officers across Scotland. There were no calls for an increase in the number of armed police nor any clear need for them, given that violent and armed crime have been in steady decline for years, without lots of packing Polis.

Note: before anyone hijacks the spelling above, Polis is not a misspelling but a reflection of the way Scots say the word. Please try not to be racist about it thx.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending