The Student Room Group

I work with the admissions team for Aston's Pharmacy Course Ask Me Anything

Hi,

I'm Rabia, I work with the admissions team at Aston and also teach pharmacy practice on the MPharm course. I've started this thread so anyone who as questions about Pharmacy at Aston can get in touch.

I'm also on hand to answer any questions about Aston as a university or the city of Birmingham.

Scroll to see replies

I am not sure. I like bio more than chem, but I only happen to hate organic chemistry is pharmacy all about that ? And and how low can you go with your entry req. as if ya the inside parrot ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Both biology and chemistry are part of the Pharmacy course at Aston. There is some organic chemistry so if you really don't like it, that is worth being clear about. In terms of offers, typical offers are AAB. If we make you an offer and you don't meet it, you may still be able to obtain a place through clearing -it's always worth a go.

Here is a link to our webpage, it has lots of information about the course.
http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/school/lhs/pharmacy/

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any further information :smile:

Rabia
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

I'm Rabia, I work with the admissions team at Aston and also teach pharmacy practice on the MPharm course. I've started this thread so anyone who as questions about Pharmacy at Aston can get in touch.

I'm also on hand to answer any questions about Aston as a university or the city of Birmingham.

Hi what are the offers Aston give for pharmacy? :smile:
Reply 4
Hi,

Hi, my offer is AAB, but say I get ABB on results day, what are the chances I'll get accepted? Have you guys accepted people who miss their offer? Also, despite my offer being AAB, if I get A*BB would I still be accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 97chloe
Hi what are the offers Aston give for pharmacy? :smile:

Hi,

A typical offer is AAB, in three A level subjects, including Chemistry and at least one other science subject (Biology, Maths or Physics). General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted as part of the offer. Additional AS/A2 subjects welcomed.

Hope that helps.

Rabia
Original post by NutE
Hi, my offer is AAB, but say I get ABB on results day, what are the chances I'll get accepted? Have you guys accepted people who miss their offer? Also, despite my offer being AAB, if I get A*BB would I still be accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

If you have us as your firm choice and drop by one grade, subject to us still having spaces on the course, we are likely to accept you through clearing. With regard to A*BB, the overall tariff points for the three A-Levels together average out to be equivalent to AAB therefore you would be accepted.

Rabia
Reply 7
Hi,

A typical offer is AAB, in three A level subjects, including Chemistry and at least one other science subject (Biology, Maths or Physics). General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted as part of the offer. Additional AS/A2 subjects welcomed.

Hope that helps.

Rabia

What are the lowest offers you offer, if you don't get a AAB?
Hi,

If you have us as your firm choice and drop by one grade, subject to us still having spaces on the course, we are likely to accept you through clearing (so a typical offer being AAB, we may accept ABB).

Rabia
Hey,

Thanks for starting up this thread. If I am a retake student would my offer through clearing be higher than students who have just finished year 13?
Hi,

Not necessarily, we do not automatically increase the offer based on the fact a student might be retaking. It is based on a number of factors including your predicted grades, how well you interview etc. The grade requirements indicate the level of academic ability we think a student requires to successfully complete the course.

Hope that helps,

Rabia
Just wanted to ask whether you have specific grade requirements for the subjects being studied
For eg If I studied Biology, Chemistry and Psychology will you specify which subjects the A grades must be in or can this be in any of the 3 subjects you study?

Thank you
Original post by spiritless98
Just wanted to ask whether you have specific grade requirements for the subjects being studied
For eg If I studied Biology, Chemistry and Psychology will you specify which subjects the A grades must be in or can this be in any of the 3 subjects you study?

Thank you

Hi,

We don't specify the grade for the subjects you study at A-level. If AAB is a typical offer, we are not worried which subject you get the A in, just that you get the A in one of the subjects.

Rabia
Hi,

We don't specify the grade for the subjects you study at A-level. If AAB is a typical offer, we are not worried which subject you get the A in, just that you get the A in one of the subjects.

Rabia

I also wanted to ask what are the current 'job prospects' for pharmacists
as a lot of pharmacy students are advising again studying pharmacy
But are the job prospects really that bad,
Looking at Aston universities job prospects gives a sense of security, but will this be the case in the future?
Also, as the University of Birmingham has opened up a pharmacy school as well (Russell group) would employers favour graduates from there or will it depend on degree mark etc

Thank you for your time

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a good question. There has been an increase in recent years in the number of pharmacists qualifying, this has lead to more competition in the job market. Where there has been some saturation in some areas of pharmacy practice, new areas are opening up e.g. roles in emergency medicine
In terms of employers, they look for a number of things in a potential employee including degree classification, experience, skills etc. It is true that employers may look to the reputation of the University the student has graduated from, they look to the reputation of the University for the subject (which is different than the reputation of the University overall).

Hope that helps.

Rabia
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you accept graduates on the course, and if so, what is the standard offer you make them? Thanks :smile:
Hi,

Good question.. we do have people on the course for whom Pharmacy is a second degree, although I am not sure what the offers for graduates look like, I will check and get back to you.

Rabia
Hi,

Good question.. we do have people on the course for whom Pharmacy is a second degree, although I am not sure what the offers for graduates look like, I will check and get back to you.

Rabia

I've checked with the team. With graduates it would still depend on GCSEs and A- Levels, we may also look at transcript for the degree. The decisions about offers for graduates are made on a case by case basis. So it would be best to have a chat with the LHS Admissions team directly and they will get the relevant information from you and give you and idea of the kind of offer you can expect.

email: [email protected]
tel: +44 (0) 121 204 3000
Reply 18
Hi,

Hi Rabia,

I'm international student, I have diploma in pharmacy with five years working in hospital pharmacy also I did shadowing last year with clinical pharmacists. I really want to continue study in pharmacy specially MPharm and I feel confident that I can do it.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to contact easily that's very kind from you.
Original post by YasserPh
Hi Rabia,

I'm international student, I have diploma in pharmacy with five years working in hospital pharmacy also I did shadowing last year with clinical pharmacists. I really want to continue study in pharmacy specially MPharm and I feel confident that I can do it.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to contact easily that's very kind from you.

Hi Yasser,

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding admissions.

Rabia

Latest

Trending

Trending