The Student Room Group

Law AS LEVEL 22nd May AQA

I'm quite well prepared for this exam but does anybody have any inkling as to what may come up? Also, my problem is that my answers are too long, there is too much content in what I write, but I am anxious as to what to take out and if, in turn that it will affect my marks. Could anybody help? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hello I am doing this exam but I will be targeting my revision to only studying statutory interpretation, delegated legislation and criminal courts and lay people. I don't really like the stuff as it's just remembering for unit 1 where as unit 2 and 3 are problem based and suit me better
What do you find the best way to revise is for this exam? Past paper questions, spider diagrams, what??
Reply 3
Hi, I am a founder of a newlawjournal - all of our writers are young, ranging from contributors in sixth form to contributors at university.

It is a great opportunity for you to get your name on the web for the right reasons. We are supported and have testimonials from multiple legal professionals.

If you have written legal articles/essays or are willing to write one for us, please private message me - and I will give you more information. It is a great opportunity!
Reply 4
I find that the best way is through spider diagrams, posters etc, as these are structured and set out as bullet points so not too difficult to revert into sentences in the actual exam. However, revision is of course subjective and everybody has different methods - I'm sure you'll do fine - good luck!
Hi what I have done is decide on the 3 topic areas I am going to attempt (delegated legislation, judicial precedent, criminal courts and lay people), read the mark schemes copy them down, attempt the questions and once you are happy you have covered everything in the mark scheme joy them down onto flash cards. Then stick a playlist on and keep copying out the cards so that in the exam when you see the similarly worded questions, you will know roughly what to write and the paragraphs. Only do one set of flash cards and do the rest of the writin on lined paper lol
I'm retaking this after only getting a D last year, revising DL, JP and Lay People.

Last year I got something like 56 out of 96 as I didn't properly revise for it, this year though I have much more detailed notes which if all goes well should get me 8 or 9 at least for each question.
Think the key is case law and avoiding waffling bc it's such a time pressured exam
i am retaking this also and there isnt that much case law you need to include on this as long as you can outline and discuss advantages/disadvantages and answer the explain questions well you should be fine. like drew said i am aiming for a minimum of 8 marks per question in this paper because you can pick up easy marks on thispaper compared to unit 3 and 4. for my topics really the only case law i need is Merrit v Merritt. Balfour v balfour, r v shivpuri, anderton v ryan and pepper v hart and davis v johnson.
Does anyone have any predictions for tomorrow. I know it's hard to predict but if you could I would be grateful? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harriet1998
Does anyone have any predictions for tomorrow. I know it's hard to predict but if you could I would be grateful? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't quote me on this but from looking at past papers and the chart that my lecturer gave me of when each topic last turned up I've predicted;
Statutory Instruments or Any two types
Judicial Controls
Why they delegate powers

Main features of judicial precedent
2 ways to avoid or Avoiding in supreme court
Advantages

Tribunals and Negotiation
Advantages and Disadvantages or either Arbitration or Negotiation and Mediation
i am hyped for this exam. been writing out the answers all day and just keeping doing that, its could practice for unit 3 and 4 especially lol
I've got the first section down :biggrin: read through, write out in note form, read, write out then past exam papers works well for me. Revision cards are a blessing
yeah same revision cards are literally my saviour! i had the past paper answers down, so copied them onto that then just gone through all the papers and wrote the answers down and then copied them onto cards. now i am doing the answers on paper. i need to time myself but i assume that in the exam i wont be remembering everything word for word and so i can afford to shorten the answers a bit. i cant afford to spend more than 10 mins on a question really but then again my criminal courts and lay people answers will probably be slightly shorter so i can be a bit more flexible lol
That's my issue, i'm not good with time management and tend to make the answers too long and go into too much detail so don't have enough time for other questions and i can't afford to lose marks because of time as the grade boundaries are so high
Original post by ShanLouise1997
That's my issue, i'm not good with time management and tend to make the answers too long and go into too much detail so don't have enough time for other questions and i can't afford to lose marks because of time as the grade boundaries are so high

what are the grade boundaries for this if you know? what is it for an A. that is like me, i will just force myself to move on if i am pushing the time limit too much. i need to remember to just answer the question rather than including every bit of case law and authority i know lol.
Original post by neal95
what are the grade boundaries for this if you know? what is it for an A. that is like me, i will just force myself to move on if i am pushing the time limit too much. i need to remember to just answer the question rather than including every bit of case law and authority i know lol.

Well the grade boundaries last year was 77 for an A. My lecturer has said its alway around 80% for an A, 70% for a B. I think that they might go down though or stay the same as the highest theyve had it set at is 78 for an A and they've been going up since 2011 in which is was at 71 marks for an A. You have to get 5 9 out of 10's and 4 8 out of 10's if you're wanting an A and keeping it at 77 marks for an A /;
See there is 10 topics. But do you really need to know all 10? Surely you can miss atleast 2 out..
What are the 10 topics? I've got down that there's 3 big ones with 2/3 subcategories
lol you only need to know 3 of the topics

Original post by ShanLouise1997
Well the grade boundaries last year was 77 for an A. My lecturer has said its alway around 80% for an A, 70% for a B. I think that they might go down though or stay the same as the highest theyve had it set at is 78 for an A and they've been going up since 2011 in which is was at 71 marks for an A. You have to get 5 9 out of 10's and 4 8 out of 10's if you're wanting an A and keeping it at 77 marks for an A /;

i guess its do able and it just means including lots of detail but being concise and ensuirng to put the relevant case authority in, esoecially for the delegated legislation and judicial precedent bits.

Quick Reply

Latest