The Student Room Group

RAF Supplier Phase 2 Training

Hello,

I'm due to start my training soon; And I've got a few questions about the Phase 2 aspect of my training for Supplier.

1)I understand I will be staying at Halton for the duration, but what is the trade training accomadation like? How many people to a room etc?

2) Will we cover everything in detail or just the basics?

3) I know you aren't aloud caffeine on RTS however, because I'm staying at Halton does this mean that I won't be aloud caffeine for phase ?

4) I'm assuming we use a different mess etc?

5) For those who've been there, what is is like?

Thanks guys :smile:
You'll get caffeine on Phase 2 training! The classrooms are in the old workshops at Halton - a strange and sprawling place. There is a large tea bar in the middle of the complex and you will be in there throwing tea and coffee down your neck and probably eating too much chocolate. Life is more relaxed than on Phase 1, but keep your nose clean. They always put excellent Warrant Officers in there but you never want to upset them. You are probably in single rooms by now (don't quote me on that).

You'll think you will be covering a lot but in reality it isn't that much. You will have enough knowledge to be able to be mostly useful under supervision when you hit a Logs Sqn. There will be a lot of Joint Supply Regulations to learn, a good lump of IT as well (MJDI or whatever it;s called now and possibly some consignment tracking training too). Lots of 'simulation' exercises where you work in a mock up section and actually do the work under classroom conditions (if you cock up, then you're in a controlled environment). There's still sport and some community support activities but it's life much the same as any other Phase 2 trainee anywhere else.

Just remember not to be cocky about not being Phase 1 any more. That should go without saying but some people don't remember.
IIRC you're a mountain biker. Take your bike - there's some fantastic riding around Halton. Aston Hill Bike Park is less than 2 miles from the camp gates.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks ProStacker I thought you'd be among those that reply :smile:.

I'm glad about the caffeine! I've worked hard and been caffeine free for a few weeks now but there's nothing like a real cuppa in the morning!!

Phase 2 training sounds quite interesting!! That probably makes me a very boring person :P. (Or a chocoholic!!!!!)

What could be better than a new trail center to explore on weekends too.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: - my only issue being will I have somewhere inside to store my bike? I'm not taking for phase 1 as I don't drive, so going to get my boyfriend to bring at my graduation and he's staying a few days in Aylesbury.
You should be fine storing your bike somewhere inside on Phase 2. Whilst theft is almost non-existent on camp, have a couple of bike locks to use. There should be a few riders on camp who will be happy to show you the trails in the area. There should be an Officer In Charge of Cycling for Halton, but if not, find RAFCA once you pass Phase 1 http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcycling/teamsanddisciplines/mountainbiking.cfm I'd recommend getting an OS map for the area as most of the fun riding is on the bridleways and through the woods rather than the small area that is Aston Hill. There are a few nice pubs that can be ridden to!
Aylesbury isn't the most exciting of towns, but it has most of what you need.
Reply 4
Thanks! I'm really excited but nerves are kicking in. Suppose that's natural however.

Do you know what the area is like for road biking? I was contemplating bringing the road bike instead but now will bring mountain bike and might be silly to bring both!!

Will be good to hook up with some other riders and I'm sure Strava will give me a lot of ideas for trails to ride. :-)

I'm hopefully racing some cycle cross this winter depending on how well I get training at Halton during phase 2. Going to use training as a launch pad to really up my fitness and do better in TT's / road races and think the RAF is gonna really be a help in this :-)
They don't allow caffeine? What sort of madness is this? (Seriously, I am curious about this, please elaborate).
I know there had been issues with caffeinated drinks (Red Bull etc) but not sure if this is connected.
Reply 7
We got told at PRTC that it's because it gives caffeine drinkers an unfair advantage over non caffeine drinkers. I'm not sure if this is the whole truth- But reguardless I feel much better now I'm NOT addicted to caffeine!! I get up better and I sleep better. It's probably a lot to do with doing it on your own merit and not using substances to help you through. It probably won't happen, but what happens to a caffeine addicted troop if we get deployed to timbucktoo and someone forgot to pack the caffeine? At least once you've done it in basic you know you don't NEED to rely on caffeine... But i'll deffo be looking forward to having it back! :P

Quick Reply

Latest