The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Turkmenistan has recently outlawed the death penalty, and urges all other nations to do so. The death penalty is barbaric and the chance for wrongful convictions is still too great.
Reply 2
Israel regards the death penalty, in most cases, to be unacceptable but in extreme cases where an exceptional crime has been commited we believe that it should be implemented.
Reply 3
The French Republic abolished the death penalty in 1981, having held its last execution in 1977. We, like other members of the European Union, stand against the use of the death penalty in all cases.
Italy: The death penalty was finally substituted with life imprisonment in 1944, after the downfall of the Fascism. The Italian Constitution, forbidden the death penalty in the 27th article and reaffirming the right for which punishments can't consist in treatments against the humanity sense and must try to re-educate the condemned, left death penalty in force for the cases of the military war laws; but also these cases have fallen in 1994.

We now passionately oppose the death penalty, like much of the European Community, and have created worldwide campaigns to ban it. We are saddened that Saddam Hussein was hanged.

Edit: ...And I must add that Saddam Hussein was a vile man who should still have been punished but with life imprisonment instead. We fear he will be hailed as a martyr.
Reply 5
The_Myth Leader
Edit: ...And I must add that Saddam Hussein was a vile man who should still have been punished but with life imprisonment instead.

However, one (but not France!) may counter that by saying how many suicide bombs or breakout attempts would it take before he was released / broken out of jail?

:redface:
Lol, very true, I'm just saying Italy's view - taking a stance on human rights issues etc. etc. :p:
Reply 7
gemgems89
Israel regards the death penalty, in most cases, to be unacceptable but in extreme cases where an exceptional crime has been commited we believe that it should be implemented.

You mean like the dozens of wars the Israelis has had with the Palestinians and surrounding nations, causing the death of thousands and destruction of towns?

Or maybe the massacres of innocent arabic children and parents?

I didn't think it was possible to hang yourself. Are you suggesting it is?
Reply 8
prufrock
You mean like the dozens of wars the Israelis has had with the Palestinians and surrounding nations, causing the death of thousands and destruction of towns?

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal, Mr. Papadopoulos?
Reply 9
prufrock

I mean more like the scores of suicide bombings the Israelis have been victim to, and the hundreds of ketusha rockets Israelis have to live with everyday despite the so-called Gaza truce still being in place.

Are you effectively denying a country's right to defend itself against terrorism and equating such actions of defense to those of deliberate destruction intent on maximising the number of civilian deaths?

Deviating off the subject a little here perhaps?
Russia requests that all delegates remain in character and on topic.
Reply 11
I'm 101% sure that this motion has been debated in the MUN, albeit not recently. I recall debating it as the UK representative... mainly because I accidentally supported. :p:
Reply 12
*resists being OOC*

China believes that the Death Penalty is an acceptable punishment when it can be justified, i.e.. the person in question may be a threat to his/her fellow citizens.

(oh and for the life imprisonment not being workable because suicide bombings etc, that's why I have always said he should be imprisoned in Geneva :smile:)
As of 1949, Capital punishment is not allowed in Germany. Our country has been responsible for much bloodshed; we refuse to repeat the actions of our predecessors.
Peru abolished the death penalty in 1979, except for cases of treason during war, but the congress is currently debating a reintroduction of the penalty for child rapers and murderers
Reply 15
The United Republic of Tanzania regards the death penalty very harsh, but if the case is severe and includes major crimes against humanity, Tanzania would be most happy to give justice by implementing the death penalty.
Reply 16
Iran feels that the death penalty is acceptable as a punishment for a number of different crimes.
Reply 17
Such as?
Reply 18
Apollo
Such as?

being a fourteen year old girl to have been raped, IIRC.

As America has always stated - the death penalty is appropriate and necessary if applied sensibly.
Reply 19
a fire in the sky
being a fourteen year old girl to have been raped, IIRC.

As America has always stated - the death penalty is appropriate and necessary if applied sensibly.

Sensible executions. Gotcha.

The vile slaughter that was Saddam's execution - is this a 'sensible' application of the death penalty?

Or is the sensible application injecting humans with deadly chemicals, gassing them or electrocuting them to death?

So many choices!

P.S. On this idea of 'sensibly', do you think that your appreciation of sensible is the same as Iran's or Iraq's?

Latest

Trending

Trending