The Student Room Group

What's the average age of the first year undergraduates in the uk?

Hi there. I'm an Italian student born in '96, I'm gonna turn 19 this summer, and I'm currently in my penultimate year of high school. This means I'm gonna be 20 at the time of going to university.

Italian educational system is different in terms of length from the uk one: high school lasts one year more, and I've lost one school year myself too. I'm very interested in studying in the uk for my undergraduate course, though I'm worried about being two years older than most of my fellow university mates starting the same year as mine. Therefore my question: what is the average age you start university at there? Is it common to see older students in the same course? Do you think this would affect negatively my experience? Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
18 starting university, 19 during the first year
I'm 19 (turning 20 in September) and I just finished my first year at Uni. You shouldn't worry, most of my friends on my course are a year or two older than me. No-one really cares about your age let alone if you're only a couple of years older.

You have to remember, many students here in the UK either take a gap year after college/sixth form or for whatever reason may do a third year at college before starting University. So you should really not be worried about anything.
I'm born in 96 as well, I'm going to start my first year at 20, theres lots of people who start uni at 19 after taking a gap year as a break between A levels and uni
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adrono
Hi there. I'm an Italian student born in '96, I'm gonna turn 19 this summer, and I'm currently in my penultimate year of high school. This means I'm gonna be 20 at the time of going to university.

Italian educational system is different in terms of length from the uk one: high school lasts one year more, and I've lost one school year myself too. I'm very interested in studying in the uk for my undergraduate course, though I'm worried about being two years older than most of my fellow university mates starting the same year as mine. Therefore my question: what is the average age you start university at there? Is it common to see older students in the same course? Do you think this would affect negatively my experience? Thanks in advance.

In 2014 about 35% of students who started university were 18 year olds and the amount of 20 year olds increased by 5%, , so you shouldn't worry about your age
Original post by Adrono

A LOT of students take a gap year so they start uni at 19. So in theory, you'll only be a year older than most. There are also mature students who start aged 21+ so your age won't matter at all
19-20, third of the undergraudate will be from the foundation year, I'm 20.
You don't have anything to worry about, nobody will even notice. You'll find a mixture of ages from 18 to 22 will form the general 'average' for starters.
Reply 8
I'm starting uni this year at the age of 20. and it is not uncommon for students to take a gap year and start at the age of 19. There are then other students that have had to resit a year of A levels or do a foundation course who would also be a year older. Don't forget that there are also mature students that study for a career change or to gain qualifications, particuarly at smaller unis or those with less of a reputation. I'd say not to worry too much, the differences in culture will probably be a lot more evident than the difference in age between you and your classmates. And I hear that some uni's put international students in the same halls so many of them would be probably slightly older if they have also finished school later or have taken a year out to get their English good enough.
And I have read in the comments that the average age to start university is 18, but mathmatically speaking that is not exactly true. 18 is the most common age to start, but the average age would be slightly older as the average includes mature students and those in the minority. So my guess it that the average age might work out to be early to mid 20's, depending on the uni.
I started uni at 20 and didn't find I had any problems at all. In fact, no one even cares. I don't think I ever had anyone ask me how old I was unless it actually related to what we were talking about, which isn't often.
Probably about 19. In general you get a lot of 18 year olds, slightly less 19 year olds who took a gap year or repeated a year of A levels, then you have a few 21/22 year olds from overseas who usually had national service, were saving up to pay for uni here or were in education longer for whatever reason. Next you get 24/25 year olds, about the same amount as the last group, who are undergoing a career change. You'll get some people older than that but not many. Everyone 18-22 gets along no problem so you should be fine, the age difference doesn't matter.
A lot of friends I had at Uni were 23+. I was 19 and I'll be going into first year (again) so again, I'm older at 20.
Reply 12
Alright thanks a lot for your answers :smile:!
18-20
Reply 14
3 of my flatmates are 20+, other 5 including me are 18/19

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm going to be just 17 when I start uni...is this bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Age doesn't matter a bit.

I'm 25 in first year and there is another guy who is 37, nobody cares.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending