The Student Room Group

WJEC AS English Literature (15th May 2015)

There doesn't really seem to be one of these, so hey :smile:

I'm doing Plath/Hughes and Oleanna.

ARE WE PREPARED? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

hey, any predictions for plath/hughes?
Reply 2
Original post by sixthformer122
hey, any predictions for plath/hughes?

Emotions and Place came up last year, so it can't be those!
Maybe violence/nature?!

I'm scared it's going to be a really obscure one like water though :|
Original post by Nandosfood
Emotions and Place came up last year, so it can't be those!
Maybe violence/nature?!

I'm scared it's going to be a really obscure one like water though :|

Thought last year was death and relationships?
Reply 4
Thought last year was death and relationships?

Nope. Last one up is January 2014 and the questions were strong emotions and place :smile:
Nope. Last one up is January 2014 and the questions were strong emotions and place :smile:

oh yeah sorry, I was looking at Summer 2014. Do you think colour could come up?
Reply 6

I hope not! Except for Tulips we haven't really studied any colour ones in class !!

Hey, I don't think that colour is likely to come up as it was in the 2012 paper but I do think that nature/water is likely or possibly even memory but then again because it's the last paper in this specification they could throw anything in this year :frown:(
Reply 8
Original post by Jadehall97
Hey, I don't think that colour is likely to come up as it was in the 2012 paper but I do think that nature/water is likely or possibly even memory but then again because it's the last paper in this specification they could throw anything in this year :frown:(

Which poems would you pick for nature? For Plath: Tulips? and Spinster? For Hughes: No idea...
Reply 9
Which poems would you pick for nature? For Plath: Tulips? and Spinster? For Hughes: No idea...

For Hughes go with Wind, A March Calf and New Foal

Well I would do tulips and also maybe a poem reflecting motherhood and being pregnant as we know Plath had conflicting thoughts about that... For hughes I'd definitely go with New Foal/March Calf
Good luck everyone anyways!! I'll be back to complain about it tomorrow no doubt!
Original post by KayElle1
For Hughes go with Wind, A March Calf and New Foal

We haven't studied any of these... **** :/
Dont worry, just remember that Hughes is not the essay Plath is and you have to only highlight Hughes!! Just make on the surface comments about it and if you can find in depth meanings then use those but don't stress too much! Hughes is very vivid when it comes to nature anyways so you won't struggle too much:smile:
How was it guys?

I picked the nature question and did:
Tulips & Thistles
Wuthering Heights & Wodwo

For the play they put me in a really weird room with a woman who wasn't even an invigilator and didn't announce the timings so I didn't get to finish my last paragraph (didn't even get to writing quotations from the extract) let alone start my conclusion. I actually want to cry. How bad is it? Like will they penalise me for that?
I did the Larkin 'journeys' question and talked about Here and Whitsun Weddings, rather than looking at how they discuss journeys at face value, which would have had all the analytical depth of a gardening catalogue, I instead looked at what the journeys could represent: timeline of life and human development for Here, and industrialisation and the course of marriage in Whitsun Weddings. For Abse I used Leaving Cardiff, as the boat is obviously a motif for death. Was this all the correct thing to do?
Original post by Mcbasilrocks
I did the Larkin 'journeys' question and talked about Here and Whitsun Weddings, rather than looking at how they discuss journeys at face value, which would have had all the analytical depth of a gardening catalogue, I instead looked at what the journeys could represent: timeline of life and human development for Here, and industrialisation and the course of marriage in Whitsun Weddings. For Abse I used Leaving Cardiff, as the boat is obviously a motif for death. Was this all the correct thing to do?

I didn't answer that question but they've done a question about journeys before I think and I'm pretty sure the mark scheme said that it could be interpreted broadly as long as you back up your arguments. I did the other question and wrote about Afternoons and Talking In Bed, then linked it to social conventions of marriage etc, then used Abse's A Scene From Married Life to contrast. Only wrote one paragraph about Abse, but it was fairly detailed, just hope it was enough!

Did anyone else do Murmuring Judges? My drama essay was pretty rushed towards the end which is worrying me, literally just about finished :|.
I did the darkest aspects of life question

Plath: Daddy
Death & Co.

Hughes: The Tender Place
Red

Don't worry!! I didn't have enough time to finish my play either, tbh I think people have this problem every year so you won't be badly penelised!!

Tbh I was expecting worse but I was really annoyed that nature came up as I just don't like nature focused questions
I also did the Arcadia question on timeshifts. Gotta love how the extract they gave us had precisely one timeshift to work with. Still, I interpreted it more broadly and spoke about not only that one timeshift, but also about the connections between the past and present evident in the scene, as well as a dash of context and character development. Here's hoping.
What was the Plath/Hughes qn that wasn't nature? I did it but I can't remember it aha (used insomniac, the stones, tender place and blue flannel suit)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending