The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature World War One Exam May 15

Who else is sitting this exam tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

me! argh im so nervous
I am! im retaking this exam, so havent had any help from teachers with it this year though :frown:
is there any advice you'd give to me?
Thanks
Reply 3
I'm sitting this exam tomorrow with 0 preparation given that its an "independent" resit, god help me
Original post by tsp96
I'm sitting this exam tomorrow with 0 preparation given that its an "independent" resit, god help me

I am in the same boat mate :L
Reply 5
Original post by adamgodsmark
I am in the same boat mate :L

haha we're f*cked bro, i don't even know what texts I'm supposed to have read or what the questions are gonna be like or anything haha
Reply 6
What do u guys think is gnna be the given poem and given veiw??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Same! ugh good luck to everyone
Reply 8
How would I structure my response to the given poem question? Like would I tal about the given poem 70% and others 30%??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sami.k
How would I structure my response to the given poem question? Like would I tal about the given poem 70% and others 30%??

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way we have been taught is to start every paragraph with a point about the given poem, then compare to another poem within the same paragraph. so yeah pretty much 70/30
I'm just trying to cram the groups of similar poetry features e.g. nature, patriotism and then I do the same for contextual linking but using different poems as we're not supposed to use the same one
does anyone have any predictions?
Reply 11
Original post by nicole_wilson
Who else is sitting this exam tomorrow?

me! so so scares and know nothing:frown:
Reply 12
So say the poem was 'dulce' , would I make a point about dulce relating to the q and then give a quite from the poem then analyse that quote and then within that para, then compare or contrast it to anther poem- then repeat this process again but compare or contrast with a diff poem??
Good luck guys!!! I remember, 2 years ago today!! :wink:
Hey, I'm doing this exam tomorrow. Sorry to be that guy, but I'm actually feeling really good for this exam. I have a few practice essays for both Contextual Linking and Poetry (Stallworthy's Oxford Book of War Poetry) that are all Grade A, as well as a quotes list that I've made for Contexual Linking. If anyone wants them, PM me your email c:

Also, I can give any tips that you might need. English is my calling haha c:
Original post by sami.k
So say the poem was 'dulce' , would I make a point about dulce relating to the q and then give a quite from the poem then analyse that quote and then within that para, then compare or contrast it to anther poem- then repeat this process again but compare or contrast with a diff poem??

Follow whatever structure has worked for you because there's no point trying to change that now, and what you're doing is pretty much what my class do

I have my own personal structure when I do the statement/theme question in particular;
Analyse a poem that agrees with the statement and integrate it with a second poem if possible (I can sometimes write a lot)
Analyse a poem that refutes the statement, again with the integration
Analyse a final poem that backs up whatever side you're on, constantly comparing it back to the previous poems you've used

In terms of a single poem, I did this in my mock and got 35 + 39
-the poem question
-a supporting poem with cross-comparisons
-a refuting poem with cross-comparisons
-a final poem to back up whatever point you're making

My best tips are;
-use a wide spread of poems from beginning and end of the anthology (e.g. Brook and Asquith, Sassoon and Owen, Larkin and Hughes)
-always find 'grey areas' of a poem i.e. a section that can also be seen to back up the other side of the argument, or has similarities with the poems on your other side of the argument
-deal with form and structure immediately so you get it out of the way, but always explain WHY the poet has chosen this; e.g. Asquith manipulates the Petrarchan Sonnet form as octet : octet to further convey the immortality of the clerk who dies with the "men of Agincourt" - then track through chronologically

hope this helps, I know it's a lot, but I'm really hoping for an A as I scraped an A in my coursework
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GetOverHere
Hey, I'm doing this exam tomorrow. Sorry to be that guy, but I'm actually feeling really good for this exam. I have a few practice essays for both Contextual Linking and Poetry (Stallworthy's Oxford Book of War Poetry) that are all Grade A, as well as a quotes list that I've made for Contexual Linking. If anyone wants them, PM me your email c:

Also, I can give any tips that you might need. English is my calling haha c:

What do you think will come up:tongue: my teacher thinks them contextual linking focus could be women in a letter format, as for poetry we couldn't decide!
Another clever tip is to begin your essay by addressing the counter argument immediately, giving the impression that you're attempting to create a balanced debate and engage with the given view.
Also, does anyone have decent Prose quote and explanation for Patriotism theme? I've got everything but couldn't find anything no that one :'(
Original post by nicole_wilson
What do you think will come up:tongue: my teacher thinks them contextual linking focus could be women in a letter format, as for poetry we couldn't decide!

Ahhh I honestly could not tell you, though our teacher for wider reading has been giving us weekly mocks so we don't panic as soon as we see anything to do with women, because our class is all lads. It's just about ensuring you allow the thoughts and feelings to drive the argument, and then bring in wider reading and assess the significance of it, making sure you take into account the date that the wider reading extract comes from e.g. Regeneration - written in 1991, so a lot of time has passed for historical sources to emerge, so Barker is well-informed of the context, which makes Regeneration a historical fiction novel. And I can't for the life of me think about what the poetry will be either.

Basically, I'm not particularly worried about what will come up since I've had a load of mocks for wider reading from loads of extracts, and apparently I just seem to 'get' poetry, and I always choose relevant poems so I don't see there being any problem for me TBH.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending