The Student Room Group

2015 GCSE 21st Century Physics P1 P2 P3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zaydy3
Hey guys I really need help I don't understand wegener's theory or how sea floor spreading relates to it. Can someone explain I'm panicking so much

Okay so Wegeners hypothesised that all continents were once one 'super continent' and that they slowly drifted away. This is supported by seafloor spreading because if the seafloor spreads then the continent must be moving away from each other. The evidence for seafloor spreading is that when hot magma rises, the iron particles in it align themselves with the earths magnetic field therefore when the magma solidifies, the rock will be magnetised, however Earth's magnetic field switches every few million years or so, therefore there are alternative bands of magnetic polarity on the seafloor which shows that the seafloor spreads which therefore is in favour of Wegeners theory because if the seafloor spreads, then continents drift further part
Original post by Zaydy3
Hey guys I really need help I don't understand wegener's theory or how sea floor spreading relates to it. Can someone explain I'm panicking so much

Fossils of similar plants and animals were found on opposite sides of the Atlantic ocean. Many people thought this was due to 'land bridges' linking the continents. However, this could not explain other things.

Wegener supposed that there had once been one large continent: Pangaea. He looked for more evidence and found that there were matching layers in the rocks on different continents. His theory of 'continental drift' said that Pangaea broke into smaller parts (what we know as tectonic plates), and these are still drifting apart.

As Wegener wasn't a true geologist, and he had no convincing evidence or way of detecting this movement, his theory wasn't accepted.

When the Mid-Atlantic ridge was investigated, they found the evidence needed. As magma rises up through the sea floor, it solidifies to form underwater mountains.

The Earth's magnetic field changes roughly every half a million years. This means that the new rock created has either reversed or normal polarity, which can be seen by the iron particles in the rock. This was evidence that sea floor was being created, and continents were moving apart.

Sorry if it's still confusing, but I hope it helped a little :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abbeyjayne
1234 and 7 are okay for me just 5 and 6 i'm useless at :frown:

P456 aren't as long as 123 so you'll be able to learn it well
2014 paper boring af
Reply 84
Original post by josaltzman
Fossils of similar plants and animals were found on opposite sides of the Atlantic ocean. Many people thought this was due to 'land bridges' linking the continents. However, this could not explain other things.

Wegener supposed that there had once been one large continent: Pangaea. He looked for more evidence and found that there were matching layers in the rocks on different continents. His theory of 'continental drift' said that Pangaea broke into smaller parts (what we know as tectonic plates), and these are still drifting apart.

As Wegener wasn't a true geologist, and he had no convincing evidence or way of detecting this movement, his theory wasn't accepted.

When the Mid-Atlantic ridge was investigated, they found the evidence needed. As magma rises up through the sea floor, it solidifies to form underwater mountains.

The Earth's magnetic field changes roughly every half a million years. This means that the new rock created has either reversed or normal polarity, which can be seen by the iron particles in the rock. This was evidence that sea floor was being created, and continents were moving apart.

Sorry if it's still confusing, but I hope it helped a little :redface:

Thank you so much this really helps!
Original post by AneebMMalik
2014 paper boring af

tell me about it, I tried sitting down and doing it in timed conditions but its sooooo dead!!:unimpressed:
Man, i'm fine with P2 and P3 but P1 was is a b*tch
Reply 87
I hate P3, bores me to death
Physics bores me to death xD
Reply 89
Original post by Brandontom11
Physics bores me to death xD

naaaa don't you like the radiation and space stuff:bigsmile:
Original post by kxylah
naaaa don't you like the radiation and space stuff:bigsmile:

yeah, it's cool i guess, but the questions are never about space, its always about some stupid table of data which you have to give reasons for and stuff....
My science teacher said that physics might be hard because biology was easy and chemistry was okay as well
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak
My science teacher said that physics might be hard because biology was easy and chemistry was okay as well

Well yeah they were pretty straight forward apart from the last 6marker in the chem exam
Well yeah they were pretty straight forward apart from the last 6marker in the chem exam

The chemistry was simple but the biology was somewhat difficult
Original post by StressedByDay
The chemistry was simple but the biology was somewhat difficult

I have to disagree with you there, i thought the Biology paper was cake walk but i always find biology easy, but i thought the chem exam was a bit tougher
I have to disagree with you there, i thought the Biology paper was cake walk but i always find biology easy, but i thought the chem exam was a bit tougher

Fair enough.
Yeah biology was easier than chemistry. I didn't really know what to write for the last 6 mark question on chemistry :s-smilie:
Reply 97
I also have a feeling physics is gonna be real hard this year. Especially because the grade boundaries are usually about 40/39 for an A* but last year it was 42 so yknow they might wanna make it harder....

i prefer harder exams and lower grade boundaries tbh
Can someone explain the rock cycle in simple terms so I can remember it easily thanks!
Original post by kxylah
I also have a feeling physics is gonna be real hard this year. Especially because the grade boundaries are usually about 40/39 for an A* but last year it was 42 so yknow they might wanna make it harder....

i prefer harder exams and lower grade boundaries tbh

Last years additional physics grade boundaries were incredibly low. It was something like 28 marks for an A. I'm sure they will put them up this year :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending