The Student Room Group

DSA Entitlement....

So on May 5th I had my DSA meeting, and was recommended a laptop for my course, it is apparently considered a basic laptop even though I was told I needed an upgraded system to handle the equipment they've given me.

Anyway, I am having to pay £200 towards a laptop, the laptop they've recommended costs £287.27 which means SFE is only paying £87 towards the laptop. I know I can't really complain but I wanted to know the possibility on picking out my own laptop, my reasoning is that I want a laptop that won't only survive my course but a few years after that and that I have Tinnitus which is caused by electricity so I don't know I'd the laptop they've chosen will even be okay.

SFE are already spending nearly £150 on setup, so if this laptop isn't suitable they will be doing it all over again.

How do I contact them about choosing my own laptop? If possible I would like to get a MacBook as I've been fine with they're equipment over the past few years, laptops like Asus I have a difficult time being around.

Thanks!
It gets complicated if you did end up picking your own laptop. You have to sort out insurance and stuff.
Reply 2
You can buy a laptop from any shop but you will pay VAT on top. Bear in mind that all SFE will pay is the £87, so if you want to fund a basic Apple laptop at around £800 be prepared to pay the extra. You will need to get permission from SFE to use a different supplier, and ensure the spec meets the minimum requirements of the recommended laptop including cover for insurance and warranty for the duration of your course. If the spec is too low, SFE will not fund anything. I recommend you get everything in writing before progressing.

Once you have your laptop it will have to go to the chosen supplier to have the software installed. there may be additional charges to install on a 3rd party machine which again you will have to meet.

You say that SFE will be spending £150 to setup the laptop and have to do it all again. That won't happen- if you get allocated a DSA-WKH15 laptop they will fund nothing further if you change your mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
I purchased my own laptop in a sale prior to getting DSA as I knew I wouldn't get anything decent from them and they then agreed to put the software on it for me but wouldnt pay for insurance.
Something to bare in mind.did you tell your needs assessor that different machines can make your tinnitus worse ? If not I d call them up and tell them you are worried the laptop recommended will irritate your condition.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I purchased my own laptop in a sale prior to getting DSA as I knew I wouldn't get anything decent from them and they then agreed to put the software on it for me but wouldnt pay for insurance.
Something to bare in mind.did you tell your needs assessor that different machines can make your tinnitus worse ? If not I d call them up and tell them you are worried the laptop recommended will irritate your condition.

The assessors can only recommend a specification known as DSA-WKH and are unable to specify a make or model of machine. Unless there was medical evidence to support a specific sound system, or need based on the evidence, then it would make little difference. The user would have to pay upgrade costs if they wanted a different machine.
Original post by NJones
The assessors can only recommend a specification known as DSA-WKH and are unable to specify a make or model of machine. Unless there was medical evidence to support a specific sound system, or need based on the evidence, then it would make little difference. The user would have to pay upgrade costs if they wanted a different machine.

If tinnitis affects someones
ability to percieve sound wpuld hope that was a need enough but suppose you could cope without. I m going through dsa for the second time and decided to get a £250 machine myself instead for the flexibility of it. Best just to compare what has been offered and what is available to buy for that yourself,make sure you re getting the best for you at that price.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
If tinnitis affects someones
ability to percieve sound wpuld hope that was a need enough but suppose you could cope without. I m going through dsa for the second time and decided to get a £250 machine myself instead for the flexibility of it. Best just to compare what has been offered and what is available to buy for that yourself,make sure you re getting the best for you at that price.

Problem is with DSA is that you won't know what machine is offered sometimes until it arrives, then it's too late to change. if you talk to the supplier they may be able to let you know what they have in stock to meet the DSA-WKH specification.
Original post by NJones
Problem is with DSA is that you won't know what machine is offered sometimes until it arrives, then it's too late to change. if you talk to the supplier they may be able to let you know what they have in stock to meet the DSA-WKH specification.

Thats the thing its funding students are entitled to but you cant choose what you spend it on. I m hoping to get a different support tutor company as i did not like the attitude of the one in first year.
I wont be accepting a pc offer if i did get one offered, would want to stick with what i have and have assistive software put on it instead if they still allow it.

Quick Reply

Latest