The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel English Literature 6ET01 - Friday 15th May 2015

I couldn't find a thread for this particular exam (6ET01), so I thought I would start one :smile:

How are you revising for this? Is anyone else doing Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea? Do you think you'd go for poetry or prose in the unseen section?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubba_lou
I couldn't find a thread for this particular exam (6ET01), so I thought I would start one :smile:

How are you revising for this? Is anyone else doing Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea? Do you think you'd go for poetry or prose in the unseen section?

I'm doing Wuthering Heights and The Color Purple, and we do the unseen poetry. At this point, just going over quotes from the novels and techniques used in the anthology poems (I'm doing 'Home' poems from the Rattle Bag). Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!
Reply 2
Original post by yellownectarine
I'm doing Wuthering Heights and The Color Purple, and we do the unseen poetry. At this point, just going over quotes from the novels and techniques used in the anthology poems (I'm doing 'Home' poems from the Rattle Bag). Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!

I'm doing 'Home' as well. Just trying to think of poems I can easily link together before I go into the exam. I hope I can use some of the longer poems like Wanderer or Autobiography; I find them so much easier to analyse. Good luck to you too and to everyone else ^-^
I'm wondering if this is a really rare exam board for English literature or something... ??? No-one else seems to do it...
Reply 4
How did you do on your exam? I think it went awful for me
Reply 5
Original post by yellownectarine
I'm wondering if this is a really rare exam board for English literature or something... ??? No-one else seems to do it...

Strange, isn't it? Very few people on TSR are on Edexcel for Eng Lit :yep:

How did your exam go?
I didn't do the same texts as you, but I did choose the unseen poetry :h:

Original post by ykagabo
How did you do on your exam? I think it went awful for me

Which unseen did you do, and which texts? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Urrgh this exam went terrible for me! Really didn't like the Home question for poetry or the Jane Eyre one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
for the poetry, which anthology was the "chimney sweeper" from? I think I did the wrong one!
Original post by bethanymariad
Urrgh this exam went terrible for me! Really didn't like the Home question for poetry or the Jane Eyre one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! I had the home poetry too, did you choose question a or b for it? Both were horrible questions
Reply 9
Original post by matthewg1234
for the poetry, which anthology was the "chimney sweeper" from? I think I did the wrong one!

It's from Here to Eternity (Andrew Motion) :yep:
What do you mean by the wrong one?
I did the question on thematic depth for poetry (whatever that is exactly :confused: ) because I disliked the other question so much, I think it went pretty well though. For Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea I did the question about suspense, I think that went really well too, far better than I was expecting (although I'm paranoid I wrote the wrong question number, I hope that doesn't affect the marking :frown: ). The unseen however wasn't too great, I did the prose although I wasn't keen on either. I'm not exactly sure what "sound devices" in relation to that piece but I tried with it, and the question about "voice" caught me out as well, I thought it meant dialogue since it was third person narration but I'm not too sure. I just have to hope I think :smile:
Original post by Neuth
It's from Here to Eternity (Andrew Motion) :yep:
What do you mean by the wrong one?

there's also a "chimney sweeper" poem in the anthology about work. I commented on this one, and not the one about 'here to eternity'. who's Andrew Motion?? "chimney sweeper" is by William Blake?
Reply 12
there's also a "chimney sweeper" poem in the anthology about work. I commented on this one, and not the one about 'here to eternity'. who's Andrew Motion?? "chimney sweeper" is by William Blake?

Yes, that is the same anthology, I just gave it it's proper name :yes:
There are different anthologies which different places use - in the question all 3 were about work (it was the work question, after all!).

"The Chimney Sweeper" is by William Blake, yes :h:
Reply 13
Original post by Neuth
Strange, isn't it? Very few people on TSR are on Edexcel for Eng Lit :yep:

How did your exam go?
I didn't do the same texts as you, but I did choose the unseen poetry :h:

Which unseen did you do, and which texts? :smile:

I did the unseen poetry and I did Wide Sargasso Sea and Jane Eyre how about you?
Reply 14
Original post by RedStar98
I did the question on thematic depth for poetry (whatever that is exactly :confused: ) because I disliked the other question so much, I think it went pretty well though. For Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea I did the question about suspense, I think that went really well too, far better than I was expecting (although I'm paranoid I wrote the wrong question number, I hope that doesn't affect the marking :frown: ). The unseen however wasn't too great, I did the prose although I wasn't keen on either. I'm not exactly sure what "sound devices" in relation to that piece but I tried with it, and the question about "voice" caught me out as well, I thought it meant dialogue since it was third person narration but I'm not too sure. I just have to hope I think :smile:

I did the same Jane Eyre question, what did you write for it? I think i did terrible, my brain went completely blank for the whole exam :frown:
Original post by Neuth
Yes, that is the same anthology, I just gave it it's proper name :yes:
There are different anthologies which different places use - in the question all 3 were about work (it was the work question, after all!).

"The Chimney Sweeper" is by William Blake, yes :h:

so I shouldn't lose any marks for it?
Reply 16
Original post by ykagabo
I did the unseen poetry and I did Wide Sargasso Sea and Jane Eyre how about you?

I loved the unseen poetry :love: (I did that, surprisingly...)
And I also did Pride and Prejudice, The Yellow Wallpaper and the Here to Eternity anthology (Work) :yep:

so I shouldn't lose any marks for it?

Did you mix up different anthologies? I'm confused.
Reply 17
Original post by Neuth
I loved the unseen poetry :love: (I did that, surprisingly...)
And I also did Pride and Prejudice, The Yellow Wallpaper and the Here to Eternity anthology (Work) :yep:

I rushed the unseen poetry, otherwise it would have been an amazing poem :frown: feel really bad that the nerves got the best of me
Original post by ykagabo
I did the same Jane Eyre question, what did you write for it? I think i did terrible, my brain went completely blank for the whole exam :frown:

From the 'extract' bit about the fire I talked about short sentences, use of fear and mystery, then the panic when she realises. I compared it to the house fire scene in WSS. Then I talked about when she is hiding from John right at the beginning, and in WSS when Antoinette is bullied by the other children in the way to school. The last point I made was about when Jane thinks she is going to die when turned away from Moor House. I'm not sure if those were the best examples but I think they were pretty good :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by ykagabo
I rushed the unseen poetry, otherwise it would have been an amazing poem :frown: feel really bad that the nerves got the best of me

Awh I'm sure you did fine :jumphug:

The first thing I did when I'd left my exam was to look it up :giggle:
The more I look at it, the more I like it...

THE city's heat is like a leaden pall
Its lowered lamps glow in the midnight air
Like mammoth orange-moths that flit and flare
Through the dark tapestry of night. The tall
Black houses crush the creeping beggars down,
Who walk beneath and think of breezes cool,
Of silver bodies bathing in a pool;
Or trees that whisper in some far, small town
Whose quiet nursed them, when they thought that
Was merely metal, not a grave of mould
In which men bury all that's fine and fair.
When they could chase the jewelled butterfly
Through the green bracken-scented lanes or sigh
For all the future held so rich and rare;
When, though they knew it not, their baby cries
Were lovely as the jewelled butterflies.

I spent far too long writing about it though, which messed up my timings for the later questions :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending