The Student Room Group

I'm breaking up with my boyfriend tomorrow...advice?

I plan to break up with my boyfriend tomorrow. Basically, we never see each other- maybe once every 10-14 days and it just feels weird, like it's not progressing and we've been dating for 3 months and I'm kinda over this cus he seems to have time for everyone except me.

Like today we were supposed to study together after not seeing each other for 2 weeks but he cancelled on me last minute to postpone to tomorrow so he can study today- like what's the difference between studying today and tomorrow? He has no exams for weeks :/

There are plenty of other guys in the world and I've been hit on by many other guys while I've been with him and I just don't want to settle for this kind of person.

But, I've never done this before as he's my first boyfriend..

TLDR; how do I break up respectfully and where? btw we're both 17
(edited 8 years ago)
They're gonna be hurt regardless so you may as well just be straightforward and blunt.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
They're gonna be hurt regardless so you may as well just be straightforward and blunt.

How blunt? Cus I'm actually a really blunt person and I often unintentionally offend people because of this, and I've confronted him about this a few times. I don't want to be too mean so I need to kind of turn down the bluntness a little
Original post by fizzymelonade
Cus I'm actually a really blunt person

If he knows that then how blunt you're gonna be is surely an irrelevance?
How blunt? Cus I'm actually a really blunt person and I often unintentionally offend people because of this, and I've confronted him about this a few times. I don't want to be too mean so I need to kind of turn down the bluntness a little

blunt people are the best. I hate people who lie lmao.

Need more straight talking people in the world.
Reply 5
I plan to break up with my boyfriend tomorrow. Basically, we never see each other- maybe once every 10-14 days and it just feels weird, like it's not progressing and we've been dating for 3 months and I'm kinda over this cus he seems to have time for everyone except me.

Like today we were supposed to study together after not seeing each other for 2 weeks but he cancelled on me last minute to postpone to tomorrow so he can study today- like what's the difference between studying today and tomorrow? He has no exams for weeks :/

There are plenty of other guys in the world and I've been hit on by many other guys while I've been with him and I just don't want to settle for this kind of person.

But, I've never done this before as he's my first boyfriend..

TLDR; how do I break up respectfully and where? btw we're both 17

3 months, seeing each other roughly 1/2 weeks at a time, means you've seen each about 8 times since you started dating. That's nowhere near serious yet. Just say you're sick of his chit and you want to find someone else who has time for you. He either gets his chit together and give you more time or he moves on.
Original post by ChickenMadness
blunt people are the best. I hate people who lie lmao.

Need more straight talking people in the world.

Okay, I'm just gonna do it, the worst that can happen is that we never see each other again, but then it's not like we ever really see each other now tbh, I'm so over this
Reply 7
Just be honest with him and honest about how you feel. Be clear and write down what you need to say to him if needs be.
I would do it in a place where he feels comfortable so maybe at his house
Original post by MAINE.
3 months, seeing each other roughly 1/2 weeks at a time, means you've seen each about 8 times since you started dating. That's nowhere near serious yet. Just say you're sick of his chit and you want to find someone else who has time for you. He either gets his chit together and give you more time or he moves on.

Are you me? those are my exact thoughts and yeah I'll take the second option, there are plenty of other guys
Original post by TheAbyss
Just be honest with him and honest about how you feel. Be clear and write down what you need to say to him if needs be.

Yeah, I'm going to his house tomorrow, then I'll go to the library by his house, I hope he doesn't see me leave lol

Be as blunt as a c

Spoiler

and just as brutal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheAbyss

nawh, he might get angry and rape her. Do it in public lmao.
I'm not sure breaking up with him at his house is a great idea.

Mutual venue (park, cafe, etc) might be better?

As for how to break up...don't be cruel, don't be mean, and if you're angry with him, try not to unleash fury...but do put your point across in a clear and concise manner.

Best of luck.
Just tell him you're with me now :wink:
agree with the others, not at his house, maybe meet him at the library you were going to or somewhere else nearby?

and be as blunt as you want to be, honesty is better, all the stuff you told us will work. never see each other, not giving time etc. but be prepared for the excuses and whys, if you've full made up your mind then probably best just to say exactly that when they start rolling in, i've made up my mind.

but good luck :smile: hope it goes well
full honesty hurts more in the short run but is better in the long run :smile:
Reply 15
Tell him that you converted to Islam and that you can no longer see him :ninja:
Reply 16
Just say it how it is. You can't sugar coat things like this really.
Reply 17
Disagree with those saying a public place! I broke up with my first boyfriend in a café, and he started crying and asking if there was anything he could do to change my mind, and it was awful and embarrassing for everyone around. Go for a walk or in a secluded bit of a park! Maybe not his house, that's a bit too personal for an 8 meeting relationship, but please don't make things worse by giving yourselves witnesses...
Reply 18
Doesn't sound like he'll be too fussed..
Be honest, concise, tactful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending