The Student Room Group

Is most of the hatred toward Nigel Farage fair or unjustified?

I have seen this man attacked time and time again.

Most of the time I feel as thought there is no real evidence for peoples claims, just accusations or stereotypes of Nigel Farage. There are a lot of people in government who have said or done worse, yet, they're not receiving this same amount of hatred over next to nothing?

Is the hate fair or largely unjustified? I think this man is very much a victim of politically correct racism in our society, it's fashionable to attack people like Farage because he does not adhere to popular, robotic opinions.
Reply 1
It is extremely unjustified. The media make out he's racist when really he's not. Too many people believe the nonsense that the media say.
"a victim of politically correct racism"? There is literally no combination of those words that make sense in the context of Nigel Farage.

Any hate he gets is perfectly justified. After all, he is willing to demonise immigrants and pander to people's fears to attempt to get elected.
I don't think he really is a super racist, admittedly I do rather dislike him but that is because I think leaving the EU would be an economic catastrophe for business confidence and negotiating better trade deals with Europe. However he is a weirdly charismatic leader, not to the same extent as some of the greats but he has a charm which is of course why they are keeping him as the Head of UKIP, if the politicians can get rid of that charm, I think UKIP wouldn't stand a chance at getting the UK out of Europe and that is their aim.
Original post by ThatPerson
"a victim of politically correct racism"? There is literally no combination of those words that make sense in the context of Nigel Farage.

Any hate he gets is perfectly justified. After all, he is willing to demonise immigrants and pander to people's fears to attempt to get elected.

So other politicians don't pander to people's fears in their attempts to get elected? Labour do it in their own way as do the Tories.
Reply 5
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
So other politicians don't pander to people's fears in their attempts to get elected? Labour do it in their own way as do the Tories.

So he's just the same as the rest? I thought he was supposed to be different.
Original post by n00
So he's just the same as the rest? I thought he was supposed to be different.

Well, first of all, not all politicians are the same. There are actually good people in Labour and Tories.

Also, he is different from the other party leaders in terms of policies and also in terms of how freely he can speak his mind. The reason for this is that the more established parties have many more interest groups that they have to massage into contentment so their hands are tied.
Anyone who dispenses with State-approved "niceness" (political correctness) in order to tell the truth is going to attract a sea of bien pensant citizens who will signal their virtue by banding together and telling each other how much they hate him.
Reply 8
He is stealing votes from Labour and Conservatives, those parties own the media so of course there is a hate campaign against him, whether you think it is justified is up to your own judgement.
Reply 9
He has the benefit of being able to speak his mind, which helps him run circles around other politicians.

To be honest, I'd say there is at least some unjustified hatred towards Farage, and UKIP - especially from the band of people who seem to think wanting to control immigration, and moving to a points-based system makes you a racist :lol:
I dont particularly dislike Farage, I just think he is a lying little worm. I honestly don't believe that he is as unguarded, unapologetic and blokey as he makes out. It strikes me as a well calculated act.

To be honest though the sycophantic praise of him like he is a messiah of the Brits, waiting to part a metaphorical Red Sea to trudge through...
He can be quite irritating, due to some of the stupid statements he says.

To be honest, however, most of my dislike for UKIP is more dislike for the sort of people it attracts. Farage is a fairly intelligent charismatic leader; he gets let down by the low quality of the candidates he fields and by the utter lack of party discipline. The Tories and Labour have bad MP's as well, but at least they are able to deal with them most of the time and they are by far in the minority. UKIP, on the other hand, only just ranks above the Tower Hamlets Party in terms of its proportion of dodgy candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending