The Student Room Group

Advise on As subjects...

I have chosen my As choices, but I really don't know if I made the right discision and I still have the opportunity to change! I want to pursue medicine and what I have chosen so far are:

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit (and Critical Thinking which is compulsary)

But I really don't know if I have made the right disicion- I love art as well and wanted to take that as an option but although I like all the sibjects I want to take, I still find myself wondering if I should continue Art. Would dropping a Science lower my acceptabilty to medical schools

Help really needed Thanks :confused:
panicked_stressed
I have chosen my As choices, but I really don't know if I made the right discision and I still have the opportunity to change! I want to pursue medicine and what I have chosen so far are:

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit (and Critical Thinking which is compulsary)

But I really don't know if I have made the right disicion- I love art as well and wanted to take that as an option but although I like all the sibjects I want to take, I still find myself wondering if I should continue Art. Would dropping a Science lower my acceptabilty to medical schools

Help really needed Thanks :confused:

Back when I was choosing my As-Levels I had the same problem, I was told that although it wasn't essential for some med schools to have the 3 sciences, if there was 1 place and 2 applicants, only 1 applicant had 2 sciences and the other, 3, they'd offer the place to the applicant with 3. (obviously assuming both had equal grades). If it were me, I'd stick with the 3 sciences. I also think that if you stick with sciences, they'll help you when you start med. Biology and chemistry especially. And S1 for medical stats, very useful to have.
Reply 2
I've heard Art A level is very time consuming...
Reply 3
I really wouldn't bother with art tbh
Reply 4
So is Art not thought very highly when applying to medicine?
Reply 5
itd a double edged sword, its a fine combinatin to go into medicine, since unis like variety however art is time consuming.
Reply 6
It is becomming increasingly common for med schools to actually **prefer** those students with a range of subjects, such as a humanity or art. I wouldn't worry. You've got chemistry and biology. Get good results and concentrate on the other requirements.
Reply 7
That's exactly the dilemma I had when choosing my AS choices. As other people have said, Art is a time-consuming subject, and at the end of the day it probably isn't as respected as maybe a language or other rigorous non-science subject (such as History) is, because of its high practical content. If you absolutely love Art and don't mind putting in the hours, then go for it. I personally dropped it because I thought my results in the sciences would suffer, and it's good to have time for non-school things. Not taking Art for AS doesn't mean you have to give up on it altogether - you can always have it as a hobby, and that way it won't take up all your time :smile: Good luck with your decision!
Reply 8
Surely the english lit she's chosen would show variety? I think you've got 4 good AS's there, 3 sciences and the eng lit. :smile:
Reply 9
fantastic choices.
panicked_stressed
Would dropping a Science lower my acceptabilty to medical schools

Bluntly, yes.
Why not drop English and do Physics instead.
Reply 11

Bluntly, yes.

For some unis, such as Oxbridge, maybe. But even they are now looking favourably on candidates with variation. Some unis even give unofficial preference to these candidates.
Reply 12
Why on earth are your school forcing you to do critical thinking? I tried to do it and got a D in the january module so dropped out of it. Our school was so unprepared at teaching this new subject that the average grade in the january module was a C or below.

Not only that but the universities see it as a joke subject and will take it as seriously as general studies.

So my advice would be to take the critical thinking module in january and if you do rubbish then just force them to let you drop it.
Reply 13
fundamentally
Bluntly, yes.

I would disagree and say that given you already have three sceinces english lit would add more to your application to your UCAS form than physics. English lit would allow you to demonstrate different skills whereas physics is very similar to maths. Furthermore it would help you dispel increasing worry from some med schools that they are recruiting supposed sceintific emotionaly inept robots, which seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment.
Reply 14
Stick with what you've got. They're great choices. Keep art as a hobby.
You guys convinced me thanks for all your help, I think I will just do art as a hobby!

With the critical thinking the current lower 6th are doing it for the first time, and most have tried to get out of it but thats only if they do a 5th sUbject out of school or further Maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending