The Student Room Group

Edexcel Igcse English literature

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrisbpw
I'm doing mice and men, but not inspector calls

Oh ok, do you wanna revise together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, but tomorrow (day before the exam), what's your email or anything I can contact you by?
Original post by Strangerdanger
Hi, i made this so we could revise english literature together if anyone wants to, im doing mice and men and inspector calls. What about the rest of you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you guys please check my latest thread on Sheila Birling? I am so confused as to what to write for her if she comes up on the exam.
Does anyone think she will come up?
The Of mice and men is most likely to be George ans Lennie, as neither have come up yet. (Curley came up in June 2014)
The an inspector calls is most likely to be Mr Birling as he is the only character who has not come up yet.
However characters have been repeated! e.g. Candy in June 2012 and June 2014, so dont not revise one because it camer up recently!!
Original post by jamillatijani
Can you guys please check my latest thread on Sheila Birling? I am so confused as to what to write for her if she comes up on the exam.
Does anyone think she will come up?

Sheila came up in June 2012 and June 2014 its unlikely she'll come up a third time mate
Original post by patrick98
Sheila came up in June 2012 and June 2014 its unlikely she'll come up a third time mate

Thats a relief! Who do you think will come up?
Does anybody know what website i can find previous exam questions?
I think it will be Mr Birling as the character and Relationships as the theme
Original post by chrisbpw
Sure, but tomorrow (day before the exam), what's your email or anything I can contact you by?

Alrightt, i think we should revise on here so other people can join as well if they want to. It will help us broaden our views and we might learn more things to talk about in the essay :smile:
Original post by patrick98
The Of mice and men is most likely to be George ans Lennie, as neither have come up yet. (Curley came up in June 2014)
The an inspector calls is most likely to be Mr Birling as he is the only character who has not come up yet.
However characters have been repeated! e.g. Candy in June 2012 and June 2014, so dont not revise one because it camer up recently!!

But didn't george and lennie's relationship come up already??
To those doing OMAM
here are a few quotations for curleh's wife incase that comes up 😶

"She had full roughed lips and wide-spaced eyes, heavily made up"

"She wore a cotton house dress"

"She wore...red mules, on the insteps of which were little bouquets of red ostrich feathers"
(This is relevant because it signifies the similarity between curley's wife and an an ostrich-an ostrich is one of the largest birds however it is unable to fly and curley's wife has a similar situation; she's basically grounded and can't control her life"

"The meanness and the plannings and the discontent and the ache for attention were all gone from her face"

She gives guys "the eye", which i think is a seductive glance ?

"Well you keep your place then, ******. I could get you strung upon a tree so easy it ain't even funny"
I'm doing both OMAM and AIC... our teaches predicted the following:

For OMAM: possible questions: Curley’s wife in chapter 5 (loneliness) - which can be an extract question, Curley/relationships between ranch owners and ranch workers, tension (death of dog), the ending of the novel/bleak nature of life

For AIC: possible questions: Mr. Birling (compared with inspector), themes of guilt and responsibility, generation gap, an extract question, Gerald and Sheila’s relationship

reason behind: some of them might have come up once but most have not yet come up.

hope this helped if not a bit. i am really nervous for the exam
Thanks, this actually helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
hello.. my igcse english lit exam is tomorrow and im doing romeo&juliet and roll of thunder hear my cry. my question is how do you guys revise?
Read the texts and go through notes about the themes and characters, then do a couple of practise questions to build your confidence and decrease the time it takes to finish the exam.
if the relationship between George and Lennie came up, what would you write, cos thats the one im dreading the most!
1. George protects lennie, he is his guardian
"What did Lennie ever do to him" (when he get's furious at Curley's approach to Lennie) He also gives him his "beans" and talks on behalf of him (as shown in their first scene with the boss, and in other times with Curley)

2. Lennie follows George's orders, but can't remember them a lot of the time
"If you do anything bad, go hide in the brush till I come et you"

3. They both share the dream of owning their own place, and want to work together and stick together to achieve it, they can't achieve the goal separately, it has to be "only by themselves" (George even says this to Candy when he wants to be part of their dream).
"One day we're gonna own our own lil place" "I'll tend the rabbits!"

4. Lennie is always mimicking George, showing that he regards him as a role model and as someone to emulate.
"He copied him exactly" (in part 1, where they wash off at the river)

5. They both rely on each other to not be lonely like the other characters, but they are companions, not friends. Each one has a stake in their relationship, Lennie get's a guardian who takes care of him, while George get's a medium to reach his goal (the money Lennie earns will go towards accomplishing their dream)."I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you"

That's 5 points and more than enough quotes. DO NOT write these in the exam as they are. They need to be explored in a much deeper way, this is just a rough overview (like a plan).

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions, this is good revision for me too :biggrin:
Original post by jesus313
if the relationship between George and Lennie came up, what would you write, cos thats the one im dreading the most!

My main points would be,

It's similar to the relationship of an owner and his pet since lennie's compared to animals quite a lot plus he's very dependant on george.

George is also like a father figure towards lennie and lennie does what george tells him to do e.g. He only starts fighting curley back when george tells him to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any key points on An Inspector Calls?

Also I think Mr Birling, Mrs Birling, both together or Eric on his own may come up.
I think the theme questions could be on Gerlad and Sheila's relationship, how relationships are portrayed in the play or on how morals are portrayed etc.

For Of Mice and Men, the characters could be George, Lennie, both together or Crooks on his own.
Themes could be hope and dreams, lonliness or the use of foreshadowing.
I think we'll be able to have a lot of points on mr. Birling

His pretentious and injudicious personality (2 big words lol)

His lack of care for everyone other than himself- to the point where he's more interested in a business collaboration with gerald rather than gerald's relationship with his own daughter etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plus his misogynistic views (hatred of women/looking down upon women's' roles in society?) that he shares with Mrs B

Also how he doesn't learn from his mistake AT ALL (same with Mrs B) - they are both extremely stubborn and difficult to show another viewpoint to.

Also, do you have any key quotes from OMAM?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending