The Student Room Group

Are anti-feminists sexist beasts or just stupid?

Or maybe even both.

Scroll to see replies

I think this is more of an issue regarding how the modern feminist movement is perceived. By the very definition of feminism, to say that you are an anti-feminist is saying that you don't want men and women to have equal rights. However, whenever I speak to my friends about feminism and they say that they are anti-feminist I distinctly get the feeling that they are talking about the more vocal and hateful members of the movement as opposed to disagreeing with the proposition of equality between genders. I believe that feminism is similar to Islam in the way that it's name and presence in the media has been hijacked by radicals. I don't believe that people are inherently stupid because they say they are anti-feminist but simply that they have the wrong impression of what the movement stands for.
I can understand people rejecting the label of being a feminist, because some of the radical feminists are in dire need of a straitjacket.

However being anti-feminist is either down to stupidity and sexism or a misunderstanding of what the movement is really about. I think currently, it's most likely the latter.
Neither, they're just unaware of what the actual definition of feminism is.

If you asked most people 'do you believe men and women should have equal rights' I would like to think the majority would say yes, making them - by the dictionary definition - a feminist.

But if you asked them if they supported the radical 'femi-nazis' that make a lot of noise but little sense, then I imagine most would say no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Neither, they're just unaware of what the actual definition of feminism is.

If you asked most people 'do you believe men and women should have equal rights' I doubt many would say no. If you asked them if they supported the radical femi-nazis that seem to dominate the feminist movement today, I imagine there'd be quite a few.

This, 100 times over.
Original post by AdamCee
This, 100 times over.

I think this is also why the He for She campaign was so crucial. Feminism is the same as politics in that the more people that understand it and respect it the better.
Original post by ngb9320
Or maybe even both.

Par example, how many people do you think are dissuaded from pursuing women's rights when somebody like the pleasant woman below is the face of feminism:

feminist.png
Original post by blackened_sky
I can understand people rejecting the label of being a feminist, because some of the radical feminists are in dire need of a straitjacket.

However being anti-feminist is either down to stupidity and sexism or a misunderstanding of what the movement is really about. I think currently, it's most likely the latter.

lol #feminist #killallmen

No misunderstanding there.
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol #feminist #killallmen

No misunderstanding there.

Anyone saying "kill all men" ain't a feminist anyway.

too bad they label themselves as feminists then
too bad they label themselves as feminists then

Could always help the cause by educating people on the true meaning, rather than just dismissing it altogether though. Just dismissing feminism because of a (very vocal) minority only accentuates their voice.
Could always help the cause by educating people on the true meaning, rather than just dismissing it altogether though. Just dismissing feminism because of a (very vocal) minority only accentuates their voice.

Don't have to be a feminist to support equality anyway. + it's not a minority. A lot of people in powerful positions are radical fems.
A lot of people say 'I am not a feminist because I don't hate men' or 'I'm not a feminist because I don't think women are better than man'. A lot of people think feminism means women are superior to men. I guess the word itself is misleading. So yeah, people who are anti-feminists are sexists or just people who are ignorant as to what feminism actually means.
Don't have to be a feminist to support equality anyway. + it's not a minority. A lot of people in powerful positions are radical fems.

By the dictionary definition, if you support equal rights, you're a feminist, like it or not.

Although I can understand that these days, feminism as most people see it is nothing like dictionary definition.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
By the dictionary definition, if you support equal rights, you're a feminist, like it or not.

Although I can understand that these days, feminism as most people see it is nothing like dictionary definition.

Wrong.

lol. just lol.

They could be if they wanted to kill all women too :wink:
Original post by driftawaay
A lot of people say 'I am not a feminist because I don't hate men' or 'I'm not a feminist because I don't think women are better than man'. A lot of people think feminism means women are superior to men. I guess the word itself is misleading. So yeah, people who are anti-feminists are sexists or just people who are ignorant as to what feminism actually means.

or they're not feminists because they're not sexist
Wrong.

lol. just lol.

I said by the dictionary definition... if you support equal rights for men and women, you're a feminist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminist

Obviously feminism as most see it no longer matches the dictionary definition.
or they're not feminists because they're not sexist

Thank you for illustrating my point.

If you support equality, you are a feminist though. Like who, and radical how?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending