The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography B GCSE Exam - 19th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by armadillo1234
Conflict between tourists and locals/the environment in the Lake District and Carlisle floods :smile: I left the case studies too late so I basically had to memorize like 6 of them the night before :biggrin: I messed up some figures on the Carlisle one but everything else went alright, I did them first and somehow finished the exam five minutes early :confused: I usually run out of time really badly so I was like thank goodness!
congrats on full marks btw, that's amazing!

I did flooding of a river in Shrewsbury and rural-urban migration in Brazil, though I didn't include figures because my mind went blank :s
I messed up with the desertification question and the question about pubs, post offices and such being closed down and replaced by supermarkets. I made up the answers for those and did pretty badly, I think XD
Original post by Accio_Books
I did flooding of a river in Shrewsbury and rural-urban migration in Brazil, though I didn't include figures because my mind went blank :s
I messed up with the desertification question and the question about pubs, post offices and such being closed down and replaced by supermarkets. I made up the answers for those and did pretty badly, I think XD

everyone I talked to did migration while I did conflict haha, hope I haven't messed the question up :tongue: and yeah I thought that the desertification question was odd, too ambiguous, that's the only one I really struggled with on the paper. a lot of people ate my school ran out of time on the paper- my friend had 15 minutes to do section 2 plus the case study!- so maybe they'll lower the grade boundaries because a lot of answers won't be as detailed
everyone I talked to did migration while I did conflict haha, hope I haven't messed the question up :tongue: and yeah I thought that the desertification question was odd, too ambiguous, that's the only one I really struggled with on the paper. a lot of people ate my school ran out of time on the paper- my friend had 15 minutes to do section 2 plus the case study!- so maybe they'll lower the grade boundaries because a lot of answers won't be as detailed

Yeah, my teacher said that a lot of the content was kinda random, and did't include the whole specification that we revised therefore boundaries may be lowered. However a lot of people found it easy so perhaps not.
Yeah, my teacher said that a lot of the content was kinda random, and did't include the whole specification that we revised therefore boundaries may be lowered. However a lot of people found it easy so perhaps not.

well either way, good luck with your results! what other gcses did you take?
well either way, good luck with your results! what other gcses did you take?

You too! I took:
- English language and literature
- Triple science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- Higher maths
- French
- IT (In today's world and in context)
- Geography
- Art
I had most of my options chosen for me, my only option was art, and I got to pick a humanity but we couldn't do religious education so it was history or geography.
How about you?
You too! I took:
- English language and literature
- Triple science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- Higher maths
- French
- IT (In today's world and in context)
- Geography
- Art
I had most of my options chosen for me, my only option was art, and I got to pick a humanity but we couldn't do religious education so it was history or geography.
How about you?

at my school we get to choose four subjects, I took geography (wish I'd done history though), french, german, and art, as well as the mandatory double science, maths, and english. I go to a Catholic school so we all have to do RE, but I got the option of doing the Ethics&Philosophy AS early instead (biggest mistake ever tbh :tongue:)
at my school we get to choose four subjects, I took geography (wish I'd done history though), french, german, and art, as well as the mandatory double science, maths, and english. I go to a Catholic school so we all have to do RE, but I got the option of doing the Ethics&Philosophy AS early instead (biggest mistake ever tbh :tongue:)

I wish I'd taken History instead of Art, however many say that taking both is really difficult. But it does seem really interesting and I'd have loved to have that knowledge. What did you do for your art exam?
Ooh, I'd have hated going to a Catholic school as I'm really anti-God. XD RE would have been a good subject to have though - I started doing that as a GCSE and my coursework was a huge debate about the ethics of abortion. I put so much work into it, as did everyone else with theirs, but our teacher randomly left and we had to drop the subject. :frown:
I wish I'd taken History instead of Art, however many say that taking both is really difficult. But it does seem really interesting and I'd have loved to have that knowledge. What did you do for your art exam?
Ooh, I'd have hated going to a Catholic school as I'm really anti-God. XD RE would have been a good subject to have though - I started doing that as a GCSE and my coursework was a huge debate about the ethics of abortion. I put so much work into it, as did everyone else with theirs, but our teacher randomly left and we had to drop the subject. :frown:

I'm not super religious either, the only reason I went to my school was because all the other ones in the area were terrible :tongue: the ten hour art exam was awful, I felt like my hand was going to fall off! our theme was together & apart so I did a painting of 3 super close-up faces in acrylic, bit predictable but I think it went alright :smile: how about you?
Reply 48
does anyone have any idea what might come up in the theme three or the problem solving papers on tuesday?
GCSE WJEC B GEOGRAPHY THEME 3 EXAM 2 PROBLEM SOLVING HELP

^just thought I'd put these at the top for easy searching :wink:

I thought I'd outline how the second exam on theme 3 (development and the climate - I can't remember the exact name) and the problem-solving paper as people don't seem to know very much... :smile:
So: It's a 2 hour exam split into 2 - a 30 min paper and a 90 min paper. (Weds 3 June, 13:30 start). On the official exam timetables it will be 2 exams - but ignore it, they are just 2 separate papers.

The 30 min paper is on Theme 3 - and it is the same structure as your Theme 1 & 2 papers - a few 1-4mk question, a 6mk or two, then a case study (8mks). I reckon it will focus on aid as the previous ones have looked at the development side of things but that's just my guess.
The second, 90 min paper, is a Problem Solving Exercise which will draw on information from all 3 themes, asking you to pick an option from 2 or 3 choices (i.e. which is the best and most sustainable). You will be given an information booklet with various facts, statistics etc. The exam is split into 3 parts, A, B & C; in part A it asks you to answer a set of questions on the information booklet - these questions are very similar to the Theme-based exams, such as "explain the trends in a graph" or "suggest why something will affect quality of life". Section B is more of the same, but with more focus on your views and the +ves and -ves of each option.
Finally, Section C asks you to write a report/letter addressed to some sort of related authority (e.g. government) explaining which option is the best - which you must relate to social, environmental and economic sustainability - define sustainability in your introduction. It also helps if you mention the scale of the project you choose - is it local, national or international? And who are the major stakeholders? Does anyone lose out? To help with your response you are given a 'matrix' which is just a fancy word for a table with each option, a column for the pros and cons of it, and then a column for any extra information such as case studies you might link. Treat it like a 6 mark question in that its important to mention other case studies which link to the area you've chosen - so if you were discussing whether to build a dam, you might link it to the Aswan dam (Egypt) or the Hoover dam in the USA - whichever you've done and know about. By the way it only needs to be a passing reference - it could be "my chosen option uses x feature, similar to a case study which shows that it works well". (Btw I'd predict what might come up but its a really wide spec and they can do anything on it - there isn't enough data to draw a conclusion from :/ )

Hope this helps anyone confused about it - and good luck all! :biggrin:
Reply 50
What do you predicts going to come up?
Reply 51
Is this what actually came up this year?
Reply 52
Original post by anii_
Hello, does anyone know where the OCR geography past exam papers are? I cant find any on the website! Heeeeelp

suck my dick
hi can some one tell me the casestudys that came up for theme 1 and 2 for the 2016 paper??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending