The Student Room Group

OCR AS Module 1 - Foundation Chem

Hey,
I'm doing the OCR course and I was just going through the syllabus, and one of the points that I need to know is "understand the terms anhydrous, hydrated and water of crystallisation". Now we've never covered anything like this in class, and was wondering how much detail I need to know. I know anhydrous refers to a substance without water, hydrated is the opposite, a substance with water, but what is water of crystallisation. How much detail do I need to know?

Thankyou very much x
I think you should be alright with your current knowledge. As for knowing about the water of crystalisation, I didn't need to know it for my AS, not did my revision guide inform me as to what it is.
Reply 2
Ok thankyou very much :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah, you don't really need to know anything about them, just be able to define them. Water of Crystallisation is the water trapped within the structure of a hydrous compound; I think its the amount of water needed for the compound to form. But you don't need to know that last bit.

I think the whole anhydrous, hydrous and water of crystallisation bit on the syllabus is just to do with the coursework you do, I think i.e. you just need to understand the terms so you can do the coursework.
Reply 4
oh right ok, thankyouu very much belle :smile:
Reply 5
sorry to hijack thread :P im doing AS OCR chemistry but I haven't heard of 'foundation chem'.. we're doing 'chemistry for life' or something :| does anyone know why? is it a different specification?
Reply 6
thats ok :p:I just checked, and you're doing Chemistry (Salters) and I'm doing just normal Chemistry, which are two different courses. Hope this helps x

Latest