The Student Room Group

How do i drop an A2 subject half way through the year, or has anyone done that before

Hi, im doing 4 alevels and ICT is really a struggle for me this year becuase the coursework is so bloody long and im behind plus i hate MS Access, im back at 6th form tomorrow and i want to drop the subject. I got it first lesson, i know everyone in my class hasnt done any work over xmas, n they are further ahead than me, so my teacher is going to be pissed of anyway, which makes it worse for me telling her i want to drop, plus it will give me more time for my other a levels, and more than ONE free a week:smile:
How do i tell my teacher tomorrow i want to drop the subject immediately? or has anyone done this before?Would i have to tell UCAS etc, because i prefer not to, and will i still be able to resit my AS ICT exams to bump the grade to an A because i got all Bs, 1 A would look nice
Course you'd have to tell UCAS. You can't resit AS ICT unless you take all three exams again, and then your previous scores don't count. As for telling your teacher, just say "I'm finding the course really difficult and I think it'd be best if I dropped ICT".
Reply 2
Yes, I'm afraid you would have to tell UCAS, but you only are required to take 3 A2 levels, so i doubt any will change any offers. However, you may need to think of a good reason to tell UCAS of why you have decided to drop the subject, instead of telling them you found it too hard etc!

However, I think it is definately possible to just retake a module of AS psychology, as long as you tell the teachers that you don't want your AS level grade certificated yet. Also, it's not certificated at the moment if you were going to carry on to A2.

I think that your best off just telling the teacher straight out that you are going to drop it. If the teacher gets annoyed at everyone not doing any work you won't be there, and if you still were - you have an excuse, that you decided to drop the subject at the beginning of the Xmas holidays. After all, if the teacher id really pissed off and starts having a go - so what, just let her and let it pass over, so cant make you carry on if youve already got 3 other A levels!
Just explain to your teacher that you're finding the workload of the subject too tough and you think it would be better to concentrate on your other subjects to make sure you meet your uni offers. You will have to inform UCAS and all the unis you got offers from, otherwise you've technically lied on your UCAS form and they could revoke your offers if they found out, but I doubt it will affect anything because you only need 3 A-levels anyway. Was your AS grade in ICT certified? If it was, you can't resit unless you do the whole thing again, but if it wasn't, you're free to resit a module before having it cashed in this summer.
Reply 4
*sorry i meant AS ICT not psychology in my post!
Reply 5
kellywood_5
Just explain to your teacher that you're finding the workload of the subject too tough and you think it would be better to concentrate on your other subjects to make sure you meet your uni offers. You will have to inform UCAS and all the unis you got offers from, otherwise you've technically lied on your UCAS form and they could revoke your offers if they found out, but I doubt it will affect anything because you only need 3 A-levels anyway. Was your AS grade in ICT certified? If it was, you can't resit unless you do the whole thing again, but if it wasn't, you're free to resit a module before having it cashed in this summer.

I had to go see my year head about it and she thinks i should wait till after my mocks, dont see why i dont have coursework any way, and she is going to get back to my by the end of the week. I have my AS certificates already, school gave them to us just before xmas, but i was told we are allowed to resit any AS exams if we want but during may-july time when we do our A2 exams. And if our resit grades are worse than the actual original ones, they dont count, they only count the better grade.
AJ
I have my AS certificates already, school gave them to us just before xmas, but i was told we are allowed to resit any AS exams if we want but during may-july time when we do our A2 exams. And if our resit grades are worse than the actual original ones, they dont count, they only count the better grade.

That's true, but if your AS grade has been certified, it can't change. Any resits you do could only be used to improve the final A-level grade, so if you don't carry on to A2, you can't resit.
Reply 7
kellywood_5
That's true, but if your AS grade has been certified, it can't change. Any resits you do could only be used to improve the final A-level grade, so if you don't carry on to A2, you can't resit.

thanks but omd i think thats bolox, i cant wait to leave school already. Is it possible to uncertify my AS grade, like say i never got the certificates or something
I don't think so because the deadline for declining grades was in September, but you could always ask your exams officer if there's any way it could be done, just in case.
AJ
Hi, im doing 4 alevels and ICT is really a struggle for me this year becuase the coursework is so bloody long and im behind plus i hate MS Access, im back at 6th form tomorrow and i want to drop the subject. I got it first lesson, i know everyone in my class hasnt done any work over xmas, n they are further ahead than me, so my teacher is going to be pissed of anyway, which makes it worse for me telling her i want to drop, plus it will give me more time for my other a levels, and more than ONE free a week:smile:
How do i tell my teacher tomorrow i want to drop the subject immediately? or has anyone done this before?Would i have to tell UCAS etc, because i prefer not to, and will i still be able to resit my AS ICT exams to bump the grade to an A because i got all Bs, 1 A would look nice

If you want to drop it tell your subject teacher then 'cash in' your AS in ICT (but you can't repeat anything only thing you can do as far as I know)- and yes you do have to inform UCAS
Reply 10
Ok thankyou everyone, my year head has sorted it out for me, its dropped, now i have to tel my ict teacher monday that ive dropped it, and inform my unis and ask if iy well affect my offers which it shouldnt and then theyre going to fix up my timetables. She said i should be able to resit my AS unit exams though, and there no reason why i cant, i just have to tell the examination officer person in our school that i want to resit n pay him for it nearer the time. So thank for your help x

Latest

Trending

Trending