The Student Room Group

Higher Psychology 2015 Exam

I have noticed there isn't many active threads helping anyone doing Higher Psychology this year, and the exam is in 19 days! So if we all can maybe share our worries we can hopefully help each other to be more prepared and minimize the stress! So what topics is everyone doing?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi does anyone have any predictions to what the questions are going to be? I'm so stressed out on what to learn I'm doing memory, stress, a typical behaviour and conformity and obedience
yeah any predictions guys?
I think conformity & obedience might be on factors affecting conformity? But i hope its on obedience:s-smilie: and i hope one of the stress questions is on GAS? What topics are you doing? and are any of you doing sociology the next day aswell?
GAS was last year though I'm thinking maybe the fight or flight response and stress management 😳 and I was guessing the humanist approach for the atypical behaviour aswell have no idea for memory though
Original post by najbelike
GAS was last year though I'm thinking maybe the fight or flight response and stress management 😳 and I was guessing the humanist approach for the atypical behaviour aswell have no idea for memory though

I haven't even studied the humanist approach! we only did biological, behaviorist, psychodynamic and cognitive???
Original post by lunamorrissey
I haven't even studied the humanist approach! we only did biological, behaviorist, psychodynamic and cognitive???

Its not come up in years so that's why I thought because biological and cognitive came up last year and behavioural some time before that I'm not sure though
Reply 7
Hi does anyone have any predictions to what the questions are going to be? I'm so stressed out on what to learn I'm doing memory, stress, a typical behaviour and conformity and obedience

Hey :smile: I'm doing the same topics as you! I've got predictions for you! They usually go back 4 years previous and copy the question, for example resisting social pressure question came up in 2014 but 4 years before in 2010. Following this pattern, I think 'describe the nature of conformity' will come up as it was in 2011. It's deinitely not resisting social pressure, but there is also a chance of obedience as well or maybe both conformity and obedience (that would be even better!) Atypical on the other hand is less predictable. :frown: Since they asked therapies last year I assume they are going to ask about approaches to or definitions. In the memory topic I think the one of the models of memory, theories of forgetting or LTM and STM will come up, but not EWT as that came up last year. Stress - I think the transactional model of stress is highly likely to come up, the study of Lazrus + folkman 1984/ Lazrus 1999. Also possibly environmental sources of stress or individual differences in stress. These are my personal predicitons of me going back to past papers to 2006 strictly based on the frequency of questions so don't bank on it cos I'm not! :L
Reply 8
Its not come up in years so that's why I thought because biological and cognitive came up last year and behavioural some time before that I'm not sure though

You only have to study the psychoanalytic approach or the humanist one! :smile:
Reply 9
I think conformity & obedience might be on factors affecting conformity? But i hope its on obedience:s-smilie: and i hope one of the stress questions is on GAS? What topics are you doing? and are any of you doing sociology the next day aswell?

Why do you hope for obedience so much? ;P It's the other way round for me, I think with obedience people tend to get carried away and just suck off Milgram for the whole essay and lose loads of A+E marks, but for conformity you can speak about SO many different studies not just Asch but Perrin & Spencer, Jenness, Smith & Bond, Eagley, Asch (1956), william & Sogan, sherif etc... However with obedience you can really only discuss milgram, his second study with all the factors afftecting obedience, hoffling et al, rank + jacobson and that's about it really from what I remember lol I still need to look over obedience again xD. Unfortunately GAS was last year's but I think the questions should be reasonable for the last year of higher hopefully :smile:
Even though GAS was asked last year they can ask it in different ways like 'physiological nature of stress' and 'stress and long term effects' I'm hoping the Type A, B personality essay doesn't come up I know nothing 😳 I would like conformity to come up because there's quite a lot to write about but I'm not holding any hopes for the exam to be good especially after the higher maths exam but here's hoping
Original post by .A_C.
Hey :smile: I'm doing the same topics as you! I've got predictions for you! They usually go back 4 years previous and copy the question, for example resisting social pressure question came up in 2014 but 4 years before in 2010. Following this pattern, I think 'describe the nature of conformity' will come up as it was in 2011. It's deinitely not resisting social pressure, but there is also a chance of obedience as well or maybe both conformity and obedience (that would be even better!) Atypical on the other hand is less predictable. :frown: Since they asked therapies last year I assume they are going to ask about approaches to or definitions. In the memory topic I think the one of the models of memory, theories of forgetting or LTM and STM will come up, but not EWT as that came up last year. Stress - I think the transactional model of stress is highly likely to come up, the study of Lazrus + folkman 1984/ Lazrus 1999. Also possibly environmental sources of stress or individual differences in stress. These are my personal predicitons of me going back to past papers to 2006 strictly based on the frequency of questions so don't bank on it cos I'm not! :L

What do you mean by the approaches and definitions of the atypical model? If that does come up for stress I'm ****ed I have no idea how to write about them 😭
I am soo screwed :frown: GAS and obedience are the ones i really know, I never know exactly what to write about in conformity, but as long as resisting social pressure doesn't come up! I am terrible at stress as well, oh no!! I haven't even done the transactional model???????/
I am soo screwed :frown: GAS and obedience are the ones i really know, I never know exactly what to write about in conformity, but as long as resisting social pressure doesn't come up! I am terrible at stress as well, oh no!! I haven't even done the transactional model???????/

Same with stress I am so screwed I only know the fight or flight response, gas and stress management techniques so if those are the questions I'm failing badly and I need a B in this 😭
Reply 14
Same with stress I am so screwed I only know the fight or flight response, gas and stress management techniques so if those are the questions I'm failing badly and I need a B in this 😭

It should be okay because we have our research investigations to help us as well (that pretty much everyone copied from the book haha). The thing I don't like about this exam is that we don't get a choice for essays, it's just we HAVE to answer the questions we get given (take it or leave it kinda thing)... -_- It's irritating learning so many different things within a topic to only be asked one question.. (or 2 10 markers in the memory & stress)
Original post by .A_C.
It should be okay because we have our research investigations to help us as well (that pretty much everyone copied from the book haha). The thing I don't like about this exam is that we don't get a choice for essays, it's just we HAVE to answer the questions we get given (take it or leave it kinda thing)... -_- It's irritating learning so many different things within a topic to only be asked one question.. (or 2 10 markers in the memory & stress)

Haha i left my research investigation till the last minute though:frown: yeah i totally agree, hopefully they will make it easier as isn't it the last year of the old higher?
Reply 16

Resisting social pressure shouldn't come up, well according to my psych teacher... The transactional model of stress is the only cognitive aspect to the stress model, whereas all the other studies are physiological psychology. Pretty much 2 people called Lazurs and Folkman (1984) wondered why some people get stressed out about a particular situation such as exams whereas some people don't get stressed at all over the same situation despite us all experiencing the same physiological flight/fight response. They came up with the transactional model to explain this, they found it's the way we think (our percieved ability to cope) and the percieved demands from the situation.
Original post by .A_C.

Yeah exactly my lecturer said that the paper next year looks like a dream could they not have had that dream this year? 😂 I'm completely winging the questions aswell I'm not wasting time studying case studies
Reply 18
Yeah exactly my lecturer said that the paper next year looks like a dream could they not have had that dream this year? 😂 I'm completely winging the questions aswell I'm not wasting time studying case studies

Yeah to start with I thought you MUST have the date and name all the time, now I just put the name of the study down so I don't get confused or waste time learning pointless dates!
Original post by .A_C.
Yeah to start with I thought you MUST have the date and name all the time, now I just put the name of the study down so I don't get confused or waste time learning pointless dates!

I know! You don't even get extra marks for it but all my lecturers make it seem so important that i spent so much time doing that :frown: But it's okay we got this!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending