The Student Room Group

Never Let Me Go - English Literature AQA GCSE exam - Monday 18th June 2015

Anyone else been studying 'Never Let Me Go' for Monday's English Lit AQA exam?

How are you revising for it, and do you have any predictions on what will come up?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
What evidence is there in this chapter to suggest that hailsham is a conformist community???
Original post by Kk01983
What evidence is there in this chapter to suggest that Hailsham is a conformist community???

You've got the fence theme which suggests a closed setting and develops the theme of otherness.
The guardians give the assemblies which could be a form of social conditioning to keep them from rebelling.
The staircase to the medical examinations is a constant flow (which Tommy breaks as hes a non-conformist) which shows that all of the other students including Kathy wish to go with the 'flow' and conform.
Lunch queue and other queues show a conformity and foreshadow the future where they will basically wait in line to die
There is further indoctrination when there is the rumor of the girl who got lost outside the Hailsham boundaries. Remember that the guardians don't really extinguish this as they want to make sure that the children conform.
Marge asks about whether the guardian has ever smoked - they all act so surprised as they have been conditioned not to pry or harm their body in any way - They are conforming.

Just look in the first part of the book and there are loads of quotes for it.
Is your exam on the 23rd?
Reply 3
Does anyone have any resources for this exam because I am struggling a little and also could you please list me some context because so far all my teacher's given me is the cloning context and context around morality so i could really use some help thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by sannalily
Does anyone have any resources for this exam because I am struggling a little and also could you please list me some context because so far all my teacher's given me is the cloning context and context around morality so i could really use some help thank you!!

What was the question on never let me go?
Reply 5
Original post by joddcfc
Anyone else been studying 'Never Let Me Go' for Monday's English Lit AQA exam?

How are you revising for it, and do you have any predictions on what will come up?

Thanks in advance :smile:

What was the Never let me go question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending