The Student Room Group

Getting into medical school

Hey guys,

I am currently studying a level Bio, Chem, Maths and Geography. I am interested in studying medicine for Uni but I have Bad grades for GCSE (3 A's, 7 B's and 2 C's) but I changed and am working really hard. Will be I able to get into a medical schools if I get 3 A*s (Bio, Chem and maths) and an a in a levels with my bad GCSE's or should I just not even bother applying because I will definitely get rejected?
Original post by Imsad:(
Hey guys,

I am currently studying a level Bio, Chem, Maths and Geography. I am interested in studying medicine for Uni but I have Bad grades for GCSE (3 A's, 7 B's and 2 C's) but I changed and am working really hard. Will be I able to get into a medical schools if I get 3 A*s (Bio, Chem and maths) and an a in a levels with my bad GCSE's or should I just not even bother applying because I will definitely get rejected?

As long as you've got your B grade in GCSE maths and English language you'll be fine. Just don't apply to GCSE heavy unis like bristol or birmingham. Go for the ones who don't look at GCSE e.g. Newcastle and Barts

Focus your attention into getting great AS grades, great A2 grades, lots of good quality work experience and ace your interview and UKCAT.
Reply 2
Original post by Nucleotide
As long as you've got your B grade in GCSE maths and English language you'll be fine. Just don't apply to GCSE heavy unis like bristol or birmingham. Go for the ones who don't look at GCSE e.g. Newcastle and Barts

Focus your attention into getting great AS grades, great A2 grades, lots of good quality work experience and ace your interview and UKCAT.

Ty.
From the exams I have done , I am pretty confident I can get an A in Geo and I got full UMS in C1(maths) just hope exams I am about to write are easy

and can I Get into some of the Russell group universities i.e UCL, Imperial (excluding Barts and King and not even considering Cambridge or Oxford) because when i read their entry requirements they needed B in maths and English which I already have
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=Imsad:(;55859157]Ty.
From the exams I have done , I am pretty confident I can get an A in Geo and I got full UMS in C1(maths) just hope exams I am about to write are easy

and can I Get into some of the Russell group universities i.e UCL, Kings (not even considering Cambridge or Oxford) because when i read their entry requirements they needed B in maths and English which I already have

Firstly, For medicine it doesn't matter where you go - Russell group or not it will not affect your future career.

If you want to go to UCL do really well at as level and be predicted highly for A2. Also do really well in your BMAT

Avoid Kings! They have something called a sliding scale which they score your GCSE and ukcat on, and your GCSEs are too low to be competitive.
Reply 4
Firstly, For medicine it doesn't matter where you go - Russell group or not it will not affect your future career.

If you want to go to UCL do really well at as level and be predicted highly for A2. Also do really well in your BMAT

Avoid Kings! They have something called a sliding scale which they score your GCSE and ukcat on, and your GCSEs are too low to be competitive.

Ok ty very much for the help
I don't want to be too judgemental, but what makes you think that you can get good A-levels with a previous track record of 'bad grades'? I've heard posts like this many times before: "Can I get into medical school with bad GCSEs if I will work really hard at A2?".

However, the answer is yes, if you do actually obtain (far) better A-levels than your GCSEs.

I would not be thinking about the actual name of the universities at this stage. Just think about getting into any medical school (only start thinking about them once you have achieved AS results and your UKCAT score).

I would therefore suggest you wait until you get your AS-level results and predictions before you start deciding. Also don't be tempted to be over-predicted just in order to apply to UCL/Imperial (e.g. A*AA when in fact your more likely to get AAA); if you do get an offer, it will be A*AA and you would feel like crap if you don't get that on results day. Therefore get realistic predictions and apply reasonably.

Good luck :smile:

What if their UKCAT was high? Will that compensate for the low GCSEs?
[QUOTE=Elhamm;55862331]What if their UKCAT was high? Will that compensate for the low GCSEs?

Yep it certainly can do. But their ukcat has to be high.

Kings is tricky because their ukcat has fluctuated a lot recently. Last year they wanted a score of 2900, this year it dropped to around 2560.
What do you need in gcses and a levels do you need to get into medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And also, what two subjects together do people generally do in uni medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by turquoisecat
What do you need in gcses and a levels do you need to get into medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs varies from uni to uni however for A-level they require AAAb minimum
Original post by turquoisecat
And also, what two subjects together do people generally do in uni medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology and Chemistry :smile: and one other science maths/physics is preferred
Thanku very much!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep it certainly can do. But their ukcat has to be high.

Kings is tricky because their ukcat has fluctuated a lot recently. Last year they wanted a score of 2900, this year it dropped to around 2560.

Does that mean that there is a chance for it to go drop this year too?? :smile:
[QUOTE=Elhamm;55862793]Does that mean that there is a chance for it to go drop this year too?? :smile:

It depends on how hard this years ukcat is and what the average applicant has. Kings can be your wild choice
Ty.

and can I Get into some of the Russell group universities i.e UCL, Imperial (excluding Barts and King and not even considering Cambridge or Oxford) because when i read their entry requirements they needed B in maths and English which I already have

If you have taken maths modules early then most universities won't count Maths as part of your offer, as they state they want A-levels to be completed in a 2 year period.
Reply 16
Original post by ForestCat
If you have taken maths modules early then most universities won't count Maths as part of your offer, as they state they want A-levels to be completed in a 2 year period.

ohh dw about it im doing them with my other subjects
Reply 17
Although it's a possibility it balances on you smashing A levels and your entrance exams. So for now focus on those and reevaluate in August/Sept.
Get on the voluntary work/work experience train as soon as exams finish too.
Hey guys,

GCSEs are only one component of an application. Ensure your maximise your application in the remaining areas - A levels (as you mentioned), work exp, volunteering, involvement with societies/teams, mentoring etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending