The Student Room Group

steinnbecks agenda of mice and men

what is it????? just realised I don't know the whole point as I read an interpretation of slim could be seen that he is a rep of Steinbeck but I don't understand how nad now im not sure wat his aim was in writing the book. pls help???!!! exam Monday
Reply 1
Original post by aigroeg
what is it????? just realised I don't know the whole point as I read an interpretation of slim could be seen that he is a rep of Steinbeck but I don't understand how nad now im not sure wat his aim was in writing the book. pls help???!!! exam Monday

Steinbeck ain't got no political agenda
Reply 2
Original post by joe4234
Steinbeck ain't got no political agenda

helpful
Reply 3
Original post by aigroeg
helpful

So Steinbeck wanted to show the futility of the American dream and how it wasn't realistically achievable in a society where racism, sexism and loneliness were so prevalent. That more helpful?
Reply 4
Original post by aigroeg

I think his aim was to show how society treated people in the 1930's particularly the treatment of the vulnerable (Lennie), old/disabled (Candy), women (Curley's wife) and black people (Crooks). I also thought when looking over my notes that Steinbeck saw himself in Slim. Slim is the only character in the book to have respect for Crooks, Curley's wife e.t.c and I think Steinbeck was trying to show that that was his attitude towards prejudices in society as well.
Reply 5
Original post by joe4234
So Steinbeck wanted to show the futility of the American dream and how it wasn't realistically achievable in a society where racism, sexism and loneliness were so prevalent. That more helpful?

yes thanku :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by spnlove
I think his aim was to show how society treated people in the 1930's particularly the treatment of the vulnerable (Lennie), old/disabled (Candy), women (Curley's wife) and black people (Crooks). I also thought when looking over my notes that Steinbeck saw himself in Slim. Slim is the only character in the book to have respect for Crooks, Curley's wife e.t.c and I think Steinbeck was trying to show that that was his attitude towards prejudices in society as well.

oh I see that now - thanku v much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending