The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Getting to know other students

Hey,
So I was just wondering how the applicants for Brookes are feeling about uni because at this moment in time I'm really stressing and worrying about being alone for the first few weeks. I love to make new friends so yes I can't wait but I'm also scared.
It's superscary to move away and be left on your own when it comes to making friends and socializing. I haven't been to uni, but in Norway I took two years at something called a folk high school, where you basically live and take classes with 80-100 other students. I was really nervous about making friends because I've always been an awkward duck when it comes to socializing.

For me, I made lifelong friends. Some others didn't make any friends at all. Most people found their crowd and people to hang out with. The difference between me and the ones that didn't make any friends were how they reached out to people and responded to people reaching out to them. My main focus was to say hi to all kinds of people and introduce myself, and try to talk to them and find common interests. Invite people to explore the area, find a coffee shop, discuss your courses... there's lots of ways to get in contact with people. The ones that didn't make any friends were anti-social and didn't join anything. They declined all invitations no matter what it was and gave the vibe that they weren't interested in making any friends. I'm not saying you should accept all invitations, but if you're unable to go with people, tell them and say that you're interested in joining next time.

I gotta admit, I'm also a bit worried about getting to know people and finding new friends, as english isn't my first language, there are cultural differences between britain and norway, and I still feel like the awkward duck I was when I was 14 xD But I think it'll work out. There are lots of societies you can join, people on your course to talk to and in general plenty of people to get to know :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Hi, I am going to be joining brookes in sept. but to do a masters. so have already had the first day at uni experience (twice - went to two uni's first to do my HND and then degree). It is a nerve racking thing moving away from home of which some it will be the first time for them. But most will be in the same position. just start talking to people in your halls, at freshers events and on your course.. and you will quickly make new friends.
Original post by courtannie
Hey,
So I was just wondering how the applicants for Brookes are feeling about uni because at this moment in time I'm really stressing and worrying about being alone for the first few weeks. I love to make new friends so yes I can't wait but I'm also scared.

I'm starting at brookes in september too and I feel exactly the same as you do, on the one hand I'm ready to meet new people and I'm super exited about my course. But I don't want to leave my friends, and don't want to feel alone to start with. But I realised everyone else will be in the same position, so everyone will want to get to know eachother, I think the first couple of days will be really weird, but we will adjust pretty fast to Uni life
Reply 4
I feel you man, i feel the same with all the moving and stuff. Hopefully everything will be alright.

Everyone, good luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm already at uni (transferring to Brookes in Sept). It is very nerve-racking and excited at the same time. You won't be alone. When it comes to the end of A2 exams, more people will be joing the Facebook pages. If you don't have Fb, I suggest you get it. Also in mid July, you'll find out what your accommodation is if you are unconditional and if you're conditional it's much later on. So you will be able to find your future flatmates soon enough and waaaay before the moving in weekend, so don't panic.

I would just keep your cool and just go at your own pace. You have 4 months until uni so take it easy and it's way too early to stress about it. Finish your A2 exams and then you can start thinking about uni. That's my advice to you anyway. Focus on all your exams if you have any.
Original post by courtannie
Hey,

Hey! I'm going to Brookes in Sept also, I'm not really nervous at all, just excited to meet lots of new people and have a great time! We're all in the same boat and we will all be wanting to make friends when we get there, so I'm sure it won't take you long at all to find people you'll get along with. It will be different, but I'm sure it will be such a great experience - so don't stress about it, just chill out and look forward to a great few years :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending