The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
burje-t
No worries, I got "the course guide thingy". It is actually really good and is what made me reconsider morse. There are some smashing options such as game theory (in which I wrote my extended essay, if you are familiar with that IB term).

Yeah im in Europe. Sweden, to be exact. Just finished my IB exams (well, I did that a week ago but it ii not until now that Im beginning to sober up). Its true what you say about teaching. Hell you could get a math teacher job here if you could state the third decimal in pi. Are you going to warwick to do morse this year? Btw, thanks a lot for your help.

No problem for the help... any more question or advise? feel free to ask away... thats what this forum is for...

Yup I know what you mean by extended essay we call it coursework here.
I agree the options do look good.

Sweden... cool... i bet your are on a 10+mbit connection and you pay less that 50 euros a month... its just that sweden is renowned for cheap and fast ISPs... :P

Yup I'm going to do morse if I get my grades... I do look forward to meeting you there regardless of what you choose in the end... Do let us know if you need any more help and when you have chosen what course you are going to do...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
S1M
No problem for the help... any more question or advise? feel free to ask away... thats what this forum is for...

Yup I know what you mean by extended essay we call it coursework here.
I agree the options do look good.

Sweden... cool... i bet your are on a 10+mbit connection and you pay less that 50 euros a month... its just that sweden is renowned for cheap and fast ISPs... :P

Yup I'm going to do morse if I get my grades... I do look forward to meeting you there regardless of what you choose in the end... Do let us know if you need any more help and when you have chosen what course you are going to do...

Ha! Im actually on a downgraded 56kps modem, currently running at the astonishing speed of 33.6kps. Bu its true what you say, i have friends with that connection paying 30 euros a month... Well, nuff saif for today. I'll give this a few nights sleep and tell you when I decide.
Reply 22
burje-t
I have passion for maths and I might wanna teach in the future, but on the other hand I also have a passion for money...

Does anyone have an idea of the comparison in workload between a pure maths degree and morse? Im under the impression that maths people have less lectures/homework than morse people. Is that true you think?

1st off: no offence, a lot of people think they know what maths will be like....believe me, it's not what you expect. And people arrive there feeling all passionate because they can manipulate formula and model well and enjoy that. Well, that's them screwed if they believe that's all there is.
2nd: Less Homework. If you count papers that are assessed...yes. If not, no. There is a lot of work that's unassessed, which a lot of them don't. bear in mind maths takes more thought than bookwork, hence giving the impression of less work.
3rd. You have a desire to teach, and a passion for money..ho ho..the latter is going to come forth in a big way!
Reply 23
Ok, S1m and mg84 - you have convinced me that i do actually want to do MORSE :biggrin:

I am gunna give them a ring on Tuesday, hope to see you in September!
Reply 24
chud
Ok, S1m and mg84 - you have convinced me that i do actually want to do MORSE :biggrin:

I am gunna give them a ring on Tuesday, hope to see you in September!

Wow, i didnt know i could be so influential!!!

I would make sure that you definately want to do it first... remember you lose your sponsership... and I don't wanna be blamed for "persuading" you to do a course you didnt want to do... well you can blame mg84 instead... :biggrin:

Well if your still up to applying for MORSE; thats great!!! Hope they give you a place and hopefully you will be on my course in september!!!

Good luck! Let us know the outcome of your phone call!
Reply 25
Well, the thing is...i REALLY do want to do the course. The ONLY reason i didnt apply was cos at the time i wasnt going to get AAA or AABa. I even spoke to the top admissions tutor about how i was unlikely to get an A in f.maths and how i was teaching it myself...but he wasnt prepared to accept a B in it. I took D1 yesterday and well...it was a breeze...so it means i will get the A in f.maths - as long as i get 72% average in s1 and p3.

As with the sponsership...i really dont care. I think MORSE is a far better course and in the back of my mind i always knew i wanted to do it.

S1m - im just glad you and mg84 were here to persaude me otherwise!

Ofcourse i will keep you posted...even if MORSE cant accept me, i will try my luck with Maths+stats and just convert hopefully in the 1st yr.
Reply 26
I contacted MORSE today,

The Head admission tutor is going to get back to me in the next couple of days once hes marks all the exam papers....

It seems hopeful thoy, he could have just told me there and then "no" but he said he wanted to disscuss it in the next few days...fingers crossed.
Reply 27
chud
Well, the thing is...i REALLY do want to do the course. The ONLY reason i didnt apply was cos at the time i wasnt going to get AAA or AABa. I even spoke to the top admissions tutor about how i was unlikely to get an A in f.maths and how i was teaching it myself...but he wasnt prepared to accept a B in it. I took D1 yesterday and well...it was a breeze...so it means i will get the A in f.maths - as long as i get 72% average in s1 and p3.

As with the sponsership...i really dont care. I think MORSE is a far better course and in the back of my mind i always knew i wanted to do it.

S1m - im just glad you and mg84 were here to persaude me otherwise!

This sounds very similar to my application last year. I didn't apply to MORSE because I didn't expect to get the grades at the time, but once I had retaken a few modules I really wished I had. I totally agree that MORSE is an excellent course (not that I'm biased at all) and you're welcome to blame me for persuading you to change if you wish!

chud
I contacted MORSE today,

The Head admission tutor is going to get back to me in the next couple of days once hes marks all the exam papers....

It seems hopeful thoy, he could have just told me there and then "no" but he said he wanted to disscuss it in the next few days...fingers crossed.

Excellent, good luck!

:biggrin:
Reply 28
chud
I contacted MORSE today,

Best of luck mate... Thanks for letting us know about this update... Do let us know what his response is... if worst comes to worst they should at least offer you a place for entry next year as mg84 got... well that is if you want to take a gap year in order to do morse...
Reply 29
If i cant get onto MORSE i will try Maths+stats..whatever i will be at warwick do either maths or engineering...if i cant swap yet i will just push for it in the first few weeks of term.

As soon as i know the result i will post it ! :smile:

Latest