The Student Room Group

Latin GCSE

Hi, i was just wondering; what is the point of the different declensions :smile:cos I'm not really sure about the difference

And also, is anyone doing short-course ocr GCSE latin higher tier (A401/02) because I'm not completely sure about the tenses we need to know...yh, exams in two days and i'm kinda screwed...:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

You mean noun declensions or past, present , imperfect , deponent verbs?
Reply 2
Original post by HELP!!!
Hi, i was just wondering; what is the point of the different declensions :smile:cos I'm not really sure about the difference

And also, is anyone doing short-course ocr GCSE latin higher tier (A401/02) because I'm not completely sure about the tenses we need to know...yh, exams in two days and i'm kinda screwed...:s-smilie:

What do you mean what's the point haha? It's how it is.

Different declensions decline differently: it's different for rosa (1st declension), different for populus (2nd declension), different for homo-hominis (3rd), different for cornu (neuter 4th), different for dies (5th).

The most difficult to learn is probably the third, and the less recognisable is probably the fourth. It's very easy once you get to grips with the grammar though.
Not doing it myself, but checkout the specification on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Like, is there a difference between the different declensions or is it just based on the endings?
Reply 4
Original post by StressedByDay
You mean noun declensions or past, present , imperfect , deponent verbs?

Wait...what are deponent verbs:confused:?
Original post by HELP!!!

Deponent verbs are verbs that look passive but they are actually active.
Reply 6
Original post by HELP!!!

Deponent verbs translate actively but look passive - morior, hortor, etc. Active = 'I have eaten the apple'; passive = 'the apple was eaten by me'. They're a type of verb, not a tense :smile:
Reply 7
Deponent verbs are verbs that look passive but they are actually active.

Ok, this is gonna sound stupid but what is the difference between active and passive???
Reply 8
Original post by HELP!!!
Like, is there a difference between the different declensions or is it just based on the endings?

The difference likes at how they decline -and their differences are pretty vast.

Original post by HELP!!!

Deponent verbs are verbs passive in form, but with an active meaning.

Eg. Conor, conari, conatus sum is passive in form but means "try, attempt" (and not "I am tried" like its form would suggest).
Reply 9
Original post by HELP!!!
Ok, this is gonna sound stupid but what is the difference between active and passive???

Active: I Kill

Passive: I am killed.

Weren't you taught these at school?
Reply 10
thanks...its an after school club and the teacher isn't the best and i dont go regularly cos it clashes with my school rugby training day
but i'm learning more right now atm :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by *Stefan*
Active: I Kill

Passive: I am killed.

Weren't you taught these at school?

So how would do you tell the difference between passive and active normally?
As along as you have a good understanding of the vocabulary there is no room for error in deducting the tense , and also you can differentiate between nouns by simply just seeing if two nouns are next each other. Just learn how to notice genitive, dative and ablative.
Reply 13
Original post by HELP!!!
So how would do you tell the difference between passive and active normally?

Well, active suggests that someone does something (ie he kills), while passive means that something is being done to him (he was killed).
Reply 14
As along as you have a good understanding of the vocabulary there is no room for error in deducting the tense , and also you can differentiate between nouns by simply just seeing if two nouns are next each other. Just learn how to notice genitive, dative and ablative.

atm, all i know is vocab...not really anything else

Just learn how to notice genitive, dative and ablative.

Sorry, but how do you do that?
Reply 15
Original post by *Stefan*
Well, active suggests that someone does something (ie he kills), while passive means that something is being done to him (he was killed).

Doesn't that basically mean nominative is active and accusative is passive?
Original post by HELP!!!
atm, all i know is vocab...not really anything else

Sorry, but how do you do that?

firstly , you need to check the first declension nouns ( feminine) singular and plural , and then with the second declension( masculine). Don't you have a text book
Reply 17
Thanks guys, I'm actually learning a looooot :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 18
firstly , you need to check the first declension nouns ( feminine) singular and plural , and then with the second declension( masculine). Don't you have a text book

My txtbook is not really good and its way too complicated
But yh, i've printed off this table online with the noun declensions up to the 3rd
Reply 19
so would it be ok to just revise vocab, tenses and declensions?

Quick Reply