The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

my maths teacher said it was the best one and it was v.close to Economics department.

he also specifically told me not to apply to St.Chads unless my "problems" werent only limited to "maths" (if you know what i mean :eek: )
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
abrp
my maths teacher said it was the best one and it was v.close to Economics department.

he also specifically told me not to apply to St.Chads unless my "problems" werent only limited to "maths" (if you know what i mean :eek: )

Chad's is a 'special' place. :smile:
yea..i wouldnt be suprised if he went there :biggrin:
Reply 23
Castle is the best one. :biggrin: And it is close to where the economics dept is atm, but I think it may be moving. Don't quote me on that though.
Reply 24
Becca
Castle is the best one. :biggrin:

I was sorely tempted... However, I could never share. I think if anything puts people off Castle, that'd be it.
Reply 25
abrp
nah..my first choice was LSE then Oxford (both rejected)

but seing as im not an 10A* student i would have been v.happy to go to any one of them (2A*,8A...4A)...realistically my application should have looked like this:Oxford, Warwick, Notts, Durham, York, +?.

i applied to University College :redface:.

Dude, I'm no 10A* student either, but I've somehow got an offer for Durham Law, which is even harder to get into than Economics (I think). And I only got 4! You have 4 a level As, which is what's important.
Reply 26
ledzep4eva
I was sorely tempted... However, I could never share. I think if anything puts people off Castle, that'd be it.

Sharing = :cool:
But what happens if you end up with someone you don't exactly... click with? :redface: Plus there's the privacy issue, or rather the lack of it. I applied to zoology in Castle. If they accept me and then make me share I think I'll bring a tent with me and camp outside.
Reply 28
Becca
Sharing = :cool:

Nah, I value my privacy too much. Plus I'm taking two guitars with me to uni :smile: , and it's likely that I won't shut up.
Reply 29
ledzep4eva
Nah, I value my privacy too much. Plus I'm taking two guitars with me to uni :smile: , and it's likely that I won't shut up.

I think few people consider the fact that:

1. The person you share with will be human, generally, and hence they will also value privacy. There will be a general understanding of this, and say, for example, you were undergoing great stress maybe due to relationship issues or something, they would quite gladly leave the room for you to be alone for a while, etc. As I say, they're human too and would expect the same from you :smile:

2. The person you share with will have at least some of the following: lectures, seminars, tutorials, sports, committees, clubs, societies, friends, social events, jobs, relationships, etc etc. And so they will not be in the room 24hrs a day, I can guarantee there will be plenty of times you will come back to your room, see that it's empty and go "Ahhh, how nice, a little bit of time to myself" :smile: - After a couple of weeks you will actually get used to your roommate's timetable and know when you get a bit of time to yourself

3. The person you share with will also have interests, which may conflict with yours yes, but this is the point of sharing. It's not to battle it out with you playing your guitar as loudly as possible whilst they turn up the volume on one of their classic war movie DVDs....it's to create an understanding that at certain times certain things should be respected - and this is not a "I hate that girl, such a bitch, I want to play my guitar" thing, but rather a "Oooh it's Classic War Movie night, I've never watched these before but I really enjoy them now, and tomorrow night I'm playing my guitar and teaching my roommate how to do some basic stuff on it" thing.

4. The person you share with is at Durham University. I'm very sorry to let you down, but about 99% of students at Durham are intelligent, civilised, interesting, funny people. If you get lumped with the 1%, I'm sorry, but this is very very very unlikely...and they'll probably realise Durham isn't for them and leave within a few weeks and then you'll have a double room to yourself (yay!). But otherwise, yes, the person you share with will be someone you'll really end up enjoying living with - and whilst I agree that I didn't "enjoy" sharing so much, it was perfectly fine and I learned a lot from my roommate, and I believe he learnt stuff from me (i.e. how to tidy up! lol). But I know that many (I'd say 60-70% of people sharing) ENJOY the experience and many go on to share for another term. In my 2nd year I lived in a house with the guy I shared with for a term in 1st year in college :smile:

5. I'm not having a go at you personally, lol, I just want people to realise that you're not going to get lumped with some charva who's brought his own strobe lights (ahem, I do know one guy who in 1st year brought a strobe light, but anyway...)....is going to play rave music until 5 in the morning, bring all his mates around to trash the place and beat you up. In fact it won't even be a teeeeny fraction as bad as this. The worse you could get is snoring, untidyness (or cleanliness if you're the untidy one!), maybe smells, and yes there is that tad lack of privacy....but trust me you'll never in your life again enjoy going to the toilet!! (Sitting down and just breathing a sigh of relief...lol...not for toiletness but just that you're alone for a bit, hehe!) :biggrin:

Sorry, long post, but I've had a long day without internet and my addiction needs to be fuelled :smile:
Reply 30
The_Luvbster
But what happens if you end up with someone you don't exactly... click with? :redface: Plus there's the privacy issue, or rather the lack of it. I applied to zoology in Castle. If they accept me and then make me share I think I'll bring a tent with me and camp outside.

They will try to find you a single room. If not then you will have prrority over getting a single room in 2nd and 3rd terms.

And a quality post above this one from Kev yet again. ;yes;
Reply 31
I'm soooooooo bored....lol!!

For those who have, and enjoy, GTA: San Andreas, I'm so bored that over the past week I have went around and collected all the horseshoes, oysters, tags and photographs.

Well, I say I've done all that - but I still have one more oyster to collect....give me a min :wink:

Anyway, once I'm back in Durham (one week to go!) I'll disappear into the background again :smile:
Reply 32
dobbs
I'm soooooooo bored....lol!!

For those who have, and enjoy, GTA: San Andreas, I'm so bored that over the past week I have went around and collected all the horseshoes, oysters, tags and photographs.

Well, I say I've done all that - but I still have one more oyster to collect....give me a min :wink:

Anyway, once I'm back in Durham (one week to go!) I'll disappear into the background again :smile:

:hmmm:

You better pop in for occasional posting!!
Reply 33
Becca
:hmmm:

You better pop in for occasional posting!!

Maybe I will....maybe I won't! Depends on many a thing! :wink:
Reply 34
dobbs
Maybe I will....maybe I won't! Depends on many a thing! :wink:

:eek: Are you going to get sex next term?
Reply 35
mreh? becca and dobbs confuse me sometimes.
Reply 36
TKR
mreh? becca and dobbs confuse me sometimes.

:biggrin: .
Reply 37
Becca
:eek: Are you going to get sex next term?

Eh?! lol that's a random thing to ask*

I just meant on how much time I have - essays and dissertation and all that crap! I *think* it's not looking too bad at the moment, considering I'm actually writing my dissertation now and just making it up - including some (I say some, I mean "most") of my research. I was getting too stressed over doing research, figured if I just make it up it's quicker, easier, and less stressful :smile:

Though I still need to do some interviews and get more pictures, woo!

Alex - Don't worry, her comment confused me too! :s-smilie:

*but i'm sure i will at some point during the term, whether it's in prague or durham, i'm not sure!
Reply 38
dobbs
Eh?! lol that's a random thing to ask*

I just meant on how much time I have - essays and dissertation and all that crap! I *think* it's not looking too bad at the moment, considering I'm actually writing my dissertation now and just making it up - including some (I say some, I mean "most") of my research. I was getting too stressed over doing research, figured if I just make it up it's quicker, easier, and less stressful :smile:

Though I still need to do some interviews and get more pictures, woo!

Alex - Don't worry, her comment confused me too! :s-smilie:

*but i'm sure i will at some point during the term, whether it's in prague or durham, i'm not sure!

Hehe, well it was due to the :wink:. This made me think of sex! And I thought mebbe you were going to see your gf next term, thus not leaving you very much time for posting.
Geddit? :p:
Reply 39
Becca
Hehe, well it was due to the :wink:. This made me think of sex! And I thought mebbe you were going to see your gf next term, thus not leaving you very much time for posting.
Geddit? :p:

Yes it makes sense on one level, but then the other level is the fact that she lives in Prague, and unless I spent the whole of 2nd term over there then I'm sure I'd find SOME time to post on TSR, lol :p:

Latest