The Student Room Group

Were you taught how to draw at school?

Just curious how many people are taught drawing and painting as a skill in schools. I wasn't, but my experience could well be unusual. At least our art teacher could draw from life, so I think perhaps he just considered drawing ability a natural talent, something that could not be taught in a systematic way.

Here are two interesting articles / websites:
Don't go to art school if you want to learn to paint
Compare and contrast:
About the New Masters curriculum (a course of systematic instruction in drawing and painting)

Scroll to see replies

We did basic things like the colour wheel at primary, but I was never taught (maybe a good thing because I can't draw a stickman properly)
We had the occasional Art and D&T lesson in primary school, but I'm not sure if splashing an A3 paper with random colours until it all turns a murky brown really counts as being taught..

However, I went to an arts college for secondary school and we had structured lessons. Still doesn't mean I can draw :hide:
Reply 3
They tried. I was unteachable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98
They tried. I was unteachable

Just out of curiosity: Did they try grid drawing?
We did drawing painting in art in like year 9 and below, although we were never taught how to draw or paint

Probably explains why I'm absolutely ****e at both
Reply 6
Original post by llys

Don't know enough about art to know what that even is
I learnt most of what I know from my GCSE art teacher, whom I incidentally hated. :angry: But before then, no, never been actually taught good techniques for drawing or painting. I'm still a hopeless drawer unless I'm copying off something, though :colondollar:
Got taught how to colour in the lines.

That was it really.
Art lessons in secondary school were just: you're either good at art and your set work for the topic looks amazing or just suffer in the corner and the teacher will come round and 'help' you (aka do it for you)
Don't take art gcse so who knows what they do.....
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
Don't know enough about art to know what that even is

Thanks. (You may not realise it but that's quite an illustrative response.)
Reply 10
Original post by llys
Thanks. (You may not realise it but that's quite an illustrative response.)

You're welcome :hat2:
Reply 11
Original post by llys
Just curious how many people are taught drawing and painting as a skill in schools. I wasn't, but my experience could well be unusual. At least our art teacher could draw from life, so I think perhaps he just considered drawing ability a natural talent, something that could not be taught in a systematic way.

Here are two interesting articles / websites:
Don't go to art school if you want to learn to paint
Compare and contrast:
About the New Masters curriculum (a course of systematic instruction in drawing and painting)

Everyone that I've met who does art (as well as myself) were never taught these at school at all. None of them have even heard of art school.
I was taught how to draw by 'Lenonardo Da Vinci'

Turned out no good, cause he was dead…

I now draw like a retarded, cross eyed Buffon! :colonhash:
Original post by llys

I also didn't know what that was. I googled it, I think I remember something similar.

But I can't remember being taught to draw etc. Most of my art lessons in secondary school were hellish because if you couldn't do it you couldn't do it and you just sat there failing.
What's this for? Curiosity or...?
Reply 15
Original post by Lozzie97
What's this for? Curiosity or...?

Yes, just curiosity. Art seems to be a subject that is not taught. I picked on Drawing because it is such a foundational skill and I would like to be better at it. :colondollar: And there are actually a lot of techniques and exercises out there, but you do have to go digging for them.

Compare: Music is taught. I wonder if Creative Writing is taught? I suppose that could be a subject where pupils are just left to get on with it as well.

Edit: look at this tool and think what you could learn with such a simple thing: isn't that fantastic?
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfortunately I was not taught how to draw at primary school, although it was a hobby of mine at the time.

This is disappointing for two reasons. Drawing is part of art, and art is an important means of expression and part of our culture. And also, onto a slightly different type of drawing, technical drawing. Governments and employers are worried about an engineering skills shortage and how this might negatively impact our economic growth, yet technical drawing, which is the language of engineering, isn't taught...
Nah there are art lessons but they don't teach you anything. You have to learn on your own.

I think it's an important part of the education system's strategy to churn out drones and little workers.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, I was never taught. But I don't think I would be any better if I was taught tbh
Original post by llys
Yes, just curiosity. Art seems to be a subject that is not taught. I picked on Drawing because it is such a foundational skill and I would like to be better at it. :colondollar: And there are actually a lot of techniques and exercises out there, but you do have to go digging for them.Compare: Music is taught. I wonder if Creative Writing is taught? I suppose that could be a subject where pupils are just left to get on with it as well.Edit: look at this tool and think what you could learn with such a simple thing: isn't that fantastic?
creative writing was never taught for me either lol. The last time I did creative writing while in school was in year 6

Original post by llys
J

I can give you advice if you want I'm pretty good at drawing.

Here's a drawing some record company in Istanbul bought off me

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending