The Student Room Group

How many quotes do we have to learn for each character?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Here is my 1st PP!

Spoiler

Did you run out of time?
It's good, take note of what your teacher says and make sure you have time to finish and I'm sure you'll get an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JessThomas6
Did you run out of time?
It's good, take note of what your teacher says and make sure you have time to finish and I'm sure you'll get an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you just boosted my motivation a little. This essay grading, do you think this is a B or an A?
Reply 42
STAGE DIRECTIONS the examiners like you to use both to show you understand the staging of the play as well, always comment on that

Use the relationships between people to your advantage, manipulate them to suit key words. If it's 'shocking' use the relationship between Eddie and Catherine etc.

The thing I like about AVFTB is it's so easy to manipulate a scene to suit the second question, so my teacher said have a few key scenes (chair, dancing, singing, Eddie and Beatrice fighting, Catherine and Rodolpho dancing, fight between E&R etc.) know loosely what you'd write, know the basis of some quotes and go into the exam and manipulate around the second question (characters are also good for this one, if it's a character based question know the main scenes for each one, like Marco & the stabbing, Rodolpho and the dancing, Alfieri & Eddie threatening to call immigration etc.)

If you find that one horrible and do the first one, just focus on the key words and use the paragraph structure you've been told to, e.g. at my school it's Point, Evidence, Dramatic Devices, Analysis, language with a sentence or two about structure (this scene is important because x happens before and it happens just before x occurs) as a short introduction (don't do Miller wrote this in..., it wastes time and isn't needed). My teacher tell us "Do your introduction then PEDAL to the end of the exam so we remember the structure:biggrin:

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about mentioning the structure thing you talked about, and that would really help to track the development throughout. Also, I think I am going to find some key stage directions, which can be applied to the questions so I can use those! :smile: Good luck with any exams you have :biggrin:
Oh God when I get rid of this bloody OMAM book I'm going to have a party I swear
We've been covering it on and off from year 10, watched the film three times, I can't wait to be rid of it

There's no better relief than being able to stop studying something so long and monotonous.

And then when your exams end, you can do whatever the frick you want :tongue:
Thanks you just boosted my motivation a little. This essay grading, do you think this is a B or an A?

B, but so close to an A!
If you take note of what your teachers says, it'll be an A!:smile:
Original post by giorgialouise
For anyone doing AIC it's most likely going to be Mrs Birling as she's never came up before :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

she came up and you had to talk about how she pretends to be something she's not???????
B, but so close to an A!
If you take note of what your teachers says, it'll be an A!:smile:

If I get an A for both papers will that make it an A* :smile: Any tips to push it more to an A* level.
If I get an A for both papers will that make it an A* :smile: Any tips to push it more to an A* level.

I'm really not sure :/
I get 14/16 on essays by doing what I've said, sometimes that's an A sometimes it's an A*
I just focus on the question and try to be detailed while also not waffling on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any OCR doers tomorrow want to peer asses each others paragraphs? Maybe type a quick one then post it for some feedback
Reply 49

Refer to the context. Keep to the PEE and PEEL and PEED structure and you'll score the top marks
I've just quickly wrote this paragraph to the question: Explore one moment in the play when Priestley makes the Inspector's presence on the stage particularly powerful. I didn't have the play on me so I had to use 1 word as a quote haha. Could anybody have the honour of marking this please? Thanks :smile:

Firstly, Priestley makes the Inspector’s presence on the stage particularly powerful through imperative stage directions. This is made evident when the Inspector interrupts Birling ‘abruptly’. This suggests that the Inspector is not here to wait but he is instead there to be direct through his intentions, he does not want to wait around for them to discuss. Throughout the play we realise that the Inspector wants to leave in a hurry for example Eric, being the last questioned and for the shortest time is an exemplify of this. The word,’abrupt’ has connotations of impudence which is ironic as Birling is a magistrate so he assumes he should be respected naturally. Alternatively, the Inspector could be gratuitous because he is structure mirroring the Birling’s and Gerald’s involvement in Eva Smith’s death. The Inspector has authority and is not afraid to use it. Priestley could be suggesting that the Inspector’s natural stage presence is to be acted as dramatic, just like his sudden entrance and the ‘sudden’ doorbell surprise. An audience may think of the Inspector as particularly powerful because of his mysterious name, as the word ‘Goole’ has homonyms of an local fishing area where Priestley lived, perhaps he could be a hard earning worker who is ‘fishing’ for answer, however he could also be Eva Smith’s ghost as he has a point of remembering the past nostalgically. The Inspector is very commanding throughout and Priestley conveys this as significant by his sheer abruptness, perhaps Priestley wants us as a reader/audience member to think that Eva Smith’s vengeful side is being portrayed through the Inspector’s body and he is a ‘member of one body’. This is powerful as during the time period it was performed, just after war time, ghosts seemed to be very common after such death occurred. Furthermore, there was no evidence/science to disprove the theory of ghosts and the thought of them could be so powerful that it would frighten the audience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Which book? If it's OMAM, AVFTB or LOTF I can help :smile:

How are you finding Lord of the Flies? I really like the book personally but it is not common for AQA and there is not much help online. Any predictions?
Original post by Hariex
How are you finding Lord of the Flies? I really like the book personally but it is not common for AQA and there is not much help online. Any predictions?

I really enjoyed it! Might be because my mum told me I'd hate it/it was disgusting/it would set off my anxiety, which made me more determined to like it haha
I really hope something comes up about Roger being a terrifying character, or leadership, or something to do with civilization because I have a kick ass point about when the officer turns up to rescue them:biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by Samuel2599
I've got lots of quote analysis for AIC if that is any help

Posted from TSR Mobile

send me it please
Reply 54
Original post by chicagokid1998
I've done no lit revision :frown: just read the books twice.

yo man loool, dont worry i walked into the exam with no prep whatsoever and made up every single quote. i hadnt even read the books.when i walked out i thought i would fail then i saw on results day i got ONE HUNDRED PERCENT LOL. i thought it was a mistake or something. nah trust me these examiners are lenient dont compare the to your teachers. Some of the quotes i made were absolute dirt. like loool. honestly i remeber one of them being Eric : ' come on father, why cant you accept what youve done you evil capitalist'
Original post by theama
send me it please

He has already posted tons I think
Original post by bazil666
yo man loool, dont worry i walked into the exam with no prep whatsoever and made up every single quote. i hadnt even read the books.when i walked out i thought i would fail then i saw on results day i got ONE HUNDRED PERCENT LOL. i thought it was a mistake or something. nah trust me these examiners are lenient dont compare the to your teachers. Some of the quotes i made were absolute dirt. like loool. honestly i remeber one of them being Eric : ' come on father, why cant you accept what youve done you evil capitalist'

lmao are you being serious? I hear edexcel igcse let you paraphrase too, so hopefully i'll be okay :smile:
lmao are you being serious? I hear edexcel igcse let you paraphrase too, so hopefully i'll be okay :smile:

You can paraphrase quotes, but I honestly doubt you could do an exam on a text you've never read before and get 100%
You can paraphrase quotes, but I honestly doubt you could do an exam on a text you've never read before and get 100%

hi, by paraphrasing could i just write something like

' crooks is one the most oppressed member on the ranch but still buys into the dream; he says to candy that he'll work for free.....'
Is that paraphrasing?
hi, by paraphrasing could i just write something like

' crooks is one the most oppressed member on the ranch but still buys into the dream; he says to candy that he'll work for free.....'
Is that paraphrasing?

I paraphrase by choosing the part of the quote I want to focus on and do something like "...the hell out..."
I'd always put it in quote marks to show you're quoting and not just stating a fact

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending