The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls - Question. Help please!

Hi; this is taken from one of the past papers, and I am struggling to come up with points to answer it.

In Act 2 of An Inspector Calls, Sheila says to her mother, Mrs Birling, “But we really muststop these silly pretences”.How does Priestley show, in his presentation of Mrs Birling, that she often pretends to besomething she is not?

If you could give me some good points to make I would be extremely grateful.

Also, another question I am attempting is

What do you think is the importance of Inspector Goole and how does Priestley presenthim?

Would points such as:

He is the 'story teller', linking all the incidents together into a coherent story

He alludes to the bible, with quotes such as 'we are all members of one body' to emphasize the Inspectors belief in human love and equality

He talks in a controlled way, repeating words back to the characters, manipulates them for his own benefit.

Although he is of a lower social class, he has much more power than them in the current situation

Uses dramatic pauses to make the other characters feel uncomfortable and to control the pace

The Inspectors use of inclusive pronouns such as we to contrast with the language of the Birling's 'I', as the Birling's primary concern is themselves, whereas the repeated use of 'we' further emphasizes Priestley's ideas of collective responsiblity and how society should be formed

Final speech, fire and blood and anguish, sums up the entire point of the play - if they do not learn from the experience, it will happen all over again, hence the phonecall at the end saying an Inspector will be arriving and WW1, WW2 etc.

^^ What other points could be made?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending