The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 11 June 2015

I couldn't find a thread for this exam so I thought I would create one, how is everyone preparing for this exam? Other than memorising wider reading references and doing past papers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grammar12
I couldn't find a thread for this exam so I thought I would create one, how is everyone preparing for this exam? Other than memorising wider reading references and doing past papers?

You've got to remember context! That is one of the most important things I was told when I sat this exam last year. It's so important because love changes over time and it's important to know how it does within its context!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You've got to remember context! That is one of the most important things I was told when I sat this exam last year. It's so important because love changes over time and it's important to know how it does within its context!

Where can I learn about context?
My laptop has broken but I have an amazing handout for it. But Im at uni atm and I believe the hard copy might be at home. I'll let you know by tomorrow!
My laptop has broken but I have an amazing handout for it. But Im at uni atm and I believe the hard copy might be at home. I'll let you know by tomorrow!

Any luck?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

???

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not have a hard copy. Sorry. Its on my laptop.
I do not have a hard copy. Sorry. Its on my laptop.

Do you remember where you got it?
Original post by Jonn_Snowed
Do you remember where you got it?

I think it was called "Love Through the Ages Teaching Pack" on Google. If not go on TES and type the title in the resources section.
Does anyone have any exam predictions for this years paper?:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by alice_bradley2
Does anyone have any exam predictions for this years paper?:smile:

I've heard a few people say that contrasts are likely to come up, others have said they think John Donne will come up (again) because (apparently) he tends to appear every 2/3 years.

Other than that, the paper is based on unseen texts so it really could be anything.
Original post by grammar12
I've heard a few people say that contrasts are likely to come up, others have said they think John Donne will come up (again) because (apparently) he tends to appear every 2/3 years.

Other than that, the paper is based on unseen texts so it really could be anything.

Oh okay, that's interesting. Thank you for your comment - it's good to compare ideas, as to what people think will come up. I'm really hoping we get texts which are generous and enable us to have a substantial amount to say.
In regard to wider reading, how are people organising it. Do you have specific themes like loss, sexual, forbidden love etc. If anyone has a list of specific themes that would be really helpful:smile:
Hi everyone. I'm sitting this exam this year, I've been getting into Band 4 consistently on my exam prep questions and my teacher has faith in me but I'm ridiculously nervous for this exam. Sometimes I get overwhelmed that I will forget all the quotes I've learnt etc. I found out last week that I got an A in my coursework which isn't too bad. For the exam I have been doing past papers every day, remembering (or at least trying to) wider reading quotes and focusing on context, gosh I'm nervous. I have History A2 on 8th June too! It's all a little crazy. I also bought a book which is called 'Oxford Student Texts : Love Through The Ages' which is helpful. My wider reading is as follows:
Novel - The Handmaid's Tale, Great Gatsby, Thousand Splendid Sons, Sons and Lovers.
Drama - The Glass Menagerie, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet
Poetry - Marvell and Donne (Metaphysical), Shakespeare, Browning, Rosetti, Jennings, Carol Ann Duffy.
A couple of other points, I don't think there's been two prose extracts in Q1 in all the past papers I've done? Two drama and three poems.
How do people structure their essays? I do Intro (Brief comparison and possibly context), Main body (Make a point about first text, link two texts and talk about second text, compare similarities/differences, link to wider reading and possibly reaffirm argument) and repeat this for point two. Plus I try to include context where necessary.
My teacher gave the class some exemplar answers if anybody is lacking in them I could try and send them over an attachment? The writing is crazy so It takes a few reads to understand :wink:.
Good luck everyone and P.s. Try to stay calm-ish.
Original post by iwritebooks
Hi everyone. I'm sitting this exam this year, I've been getting into Band 4 consistently on my exam prep questions and my teacher has faith in me but I'm ridiculously nervous for this exam. Sometimes I get overwhelmed that I will forget all the quotes I've learnt etc. I found out last week that I got an A in my coursework which isn't too bad. For the exam I have been doing past papers every day, remembering (or at least trying to) wider reading quotes and focusing on context, gosh I'm nervous. I have History A2 on 8th June too! It's all a little crazy. I also bought a book which is called 'Oxford Student Texts : Love Through The Ages' which is helpful. My wider reading is as follows:
Novel - The Handmaid's Tale, Great Gatsby, Thousand Splendid Sons, Sons and Lovers.
Drama - The Glass Menagerie, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet
Poetry - Marvell and Donne (Metaphysical), Shakespeare, Browning, Rosetti, Jennings, Carol Ann Duffy.
A couple of other points, I don't think there's been two prose extracts in Q1 in all the past papers I've done? Two drama and three poems.
How do people structure their essays? I do Intro (Brief comparison and possibly context), Main body (Make a point about first text, link two texts and talk about second text, compare similarities/differences, link to wider reading and possibly reaffirm argument) and repeat this for point two. Plus I try to include context where necessary.
My teacher gave the class some exemplar answers if anybody is lacking in them I could try and send them over an attachment? The writing is crazy so It takes a few reads to understand :wink:.
Good luck everyone and P.s. Try to stay calm-ish.

I use to structure it like that but im trying something different.
Intro with comparison between both.

P1 short cross comparison between both.
About 1 side.

Main body. Make a point about 1 extract. Context.Wider reading. Compare. Then Repeat. (2 sides)

P3. Alternate interpretation of both extracts wider reading. Compare. (1 side)
Conclusion.

Edit: i got history aswell
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jonn_Snowed
I use to structure it like that but im trying something different.
Intro with comparison between both.

P1 short cross comparison between both.
About 1 side.

Main body. Make a point about 1 extract. Context.Wider reading. Compare. Then Repeat. (2 sides)

P3. Alternate interpretation of both extracts wider reading. Compare. (1 side)
Conclusion.

Edit: i got history aswell

What did your teacher say about that? Mine just said to make it clear to the examiner what point I'm making and to set it out in a precise way.
I have the Triumph of Elizabeth, definitely the hardest exam in history over my A-Levels. I got 2 A's in As so I'm not too nervous.
Is anyone doing any quick-fire extract analysis revision? How long are you going to spend on planning as I was considering spending 30 minutes reading + planning for each answer.

It's really difficult because literally anything can come up. It's mental!
I'm just going over my wider reading trying to learn the (many) quotes and then trying to link them all together thematically on bits of scrap A4. We have done all the past papers in class over the year so I'm a bit stuck for practise now! Does anyone know what kind of grade you have to get in this A2 Exam if I got an A* in coursework and near-full UMS last year?
Original post by lulagirl15
I'm just going over my wider reading trying to learn the (many) quotes and then trying to link them all together thematically on bits of scrap A4. We have done all the past papers in class over the year so I'm a bit stuck for practise now! Does anyone know what kind of grade you have to get in this A2 Exam if I got an A* in coursework and near-full UMS last year?

It's not healthy to do calculations about grades 😜 Just go into the exam needing the best grade possible; it's the best way to stay motivated imo. (I'm the in a similar situation).
Reply 19
I'm stressing out over this and I feel like it's ruined my grade- my teacher sent off my coursework before it was ready and it didn't have footnotes or enough quotes in my opinion. What is the percentage of overall grade for the A2 coursework? How much would the grade from the exam help ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending