The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rooftopcowboy
id like to add..whos to say some of the muslims wont become less devout as time passes?

The evidence around you?
Reply 21
A problem with Muslim enclaves

A controversial study in Norway says forced marriage among immigrants prevents desired integration.

By Bruce Bawer
CSM; Jun 30, 2003

OSLO – Western Europe is increasingly a house divided. While non-Muslim Europeans live in democracies, most Muslims in the same countries inhabit theocratic enclaves where they are expected to tread a narrow path - or suffer the consequences.

Muslim women have it the worst. They are subject without exception to the authority of their husbands, fathers, and community leaders. And if they seek to escape that tyranny, they can expect little help from government authorities, who are loath to "intrude" and show "disrespect" for someone else's culture.

Many European officials have long assumed that such problems would be resolved gradually through intermarriage, integration, and the consequent fading away of ghettos. But intermarriage and integration are not happening as expected - and the consequences of this failure are grievous.

Such is the conclusion drawn by "Female Integration," an explosive new book making headlines and the talk-show circuit here. It's based on a recent report to the Norwegian parliament by the Oslo-based Human Rights Service (HRS) and is being viewed as a window on larger Muslim immigration patterns in the rest of Europe.

[...]
The trend, in short, is toward increased segregation, not increased integration.

These findings are important not just for Norway but for the West, generally. Anecdotal evidence Overwhelmingly suggests that the trends shown in HRS's report are representative of the situation in Muslim communities throughout Western Europe.

[...]
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0630/p09s01-coop.html
Reply 22
Londonistan
Melanie Phillips
Encounter 213 pp.
(abu note: formerly News-editor of Left-wing Guardian)
Reviewed by Daniel Johnson

When Americans express anger or frustration at Europe’s response to the global threat of Islamism, they generally make an exception for one country: Great Britain..."

If the new book by the British journalist Melanie Phillips is right, however, this is an Illusion, and a dangerous one at that.

A highly successful columnist and broadcaster, and at one time the news editor of the Left-wing Guardian, Phillips reveals a very different Britain from the heroic nation that defied Hitler. .... Phillips, Britain is a nation in denial—about Islam, about terrorism, about Israel, and above all about itself.

"...As the British people learned to their horror, the suicide bombers were not foreigners
radicalized by suffering or oppression but true-born Englishmen, with good families and good prospects...."

"....No less terrifying is the fact that even the Supposedly Mainstream elements in the British Muslim community have become more radical in their political theology.
As Phillips shows in a Pitiless Unmasking, many of the “moderate Muslims” to whom the British authorities regularly pay obeisance are themselves hard-line Islamists, differing only by degree from more notorious recruiting sergeants for jihad.

Of particular interest to Phillips is Sir Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain. Sacranie was knighted at the same time as Britain’s chief rabbi, Jonathan Sacks, evidently for reasons of multicultural balance—though there is no intellectual or moral comparison between Sacks, one of Britain’s most respected religious leaders, and Sacranie, who rose to prominence by supporting Ayatollah Khomenei’s fatwa against Salman Rushdie.
Though he is the government’s chief Muslim interlocutor, Sacranie has an avowedly anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic agenda:
he justifies Hamas suicide bombings, boycotts Holocaust commemorations, and harasses pro-Israel politicians. When his equivocal attitude to terrorism was exposed by a BBC documentary last year, Sacranie accused his critics of being part of a Zionist conspiracy..."

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article.asp?aid=12201085_1
"Anecdotal evidence Overwhelmingly suggests"

Ahh, the firmest kind of evidence.
Reply 24
ForeverIsLame

Ahh, the firmest kind of evidence.

Talk about Quoting out of context!

After two posts, including the Liberal HRS of Norway in the one you 'stunt-quoted' (and a Melanie Phillips book) - all you have is a Cheap shot.

Serious responses welcome.
That's the only evidence that has been offered for most of the claims. It's a bad piece of journalism.
Reply 26
Oh dear, i very much doubt that but i fear for the culture of this country as it is. What would Henry VIII think oh dear. The Islamic religion was created around 600AD which means compared to christians they are living in 1400 that was the time when we were burning heretics, the islamics are stirring up simular immature owful behavior. I work and are educated with islamics and i would like to again stress my view that i believe there is good and bad in everyone. I am not a facist and am not having a go at the people just the religion. It is very backward and restricts reform and modernisation. Unlike us Catholics who have undergone enlightenment, and reformation, in addition we have the pope to bring forth modern CIVILISED ideas.
I have said it before and will say it again Islam needs relax its ideas and reform because we cannot live like this in this day and age. Its time for terrorism to come to an end.
Blair was right to go to Iraq and we need to send more troops along with the US, Germany and Russia to end the constant threat that is present in Iraq, Iran and Saudi etc.
Also, the sheria law governing countries needs to be stopped immediatly. How can a law that was created over 1400 years ago enforce society in this day and age, that is worrying.
Back to the Islamic Britain point, i welcome immigrants in this country no matter what anyone says they have improved and stabalised this economy. However i would prefer the immigrants to be eastern European, South American, or from anywhere thats not islamic. Hindus can show how islamic people can be westernised and relaxed about their religion.
Ok i admit i'm tired and the grammar is shocking in this post and i'm starting to go on a rant now but try and get where i am coming from.
Reply 27
gas_panic!
Islam is unique in the UK as it is the only religion to buck the trend of Westernisation and secularisation that occurs within immigrant families as the generations progress. Indeed the second and third generations of immigrant Muslims are often more strict and pious than their parents and grandparents.
This will not change with their children. They will brainwash them just like they themselves have been. .

"BRAINWASH US", dont talk about something you dont know nothing about
stim90
Oh dear, i very much doubt that but i fear for the culture of this country as it is. What would Henry VIII think oh dear. The Islamic religion was created around 600AD which means compared to christians they are living in 1400 that was the time when we were burning heretics, the islamics are stirring up simular immature owful behavior. I work and are educated with islamics and i would like to again stress my view that i believe there is good and bad in everyone. I am not a facist and am not having a go at the people just the religion. It is very backward and restricts reform and modernisation. Unlike us Catholics who have undergone enlightenment, and reformation, in addition we have the pope to bring forth modern CIVILISED ideas.
I have said it before and will say it again Islam needs relax its ideas and reform because we cannot live like this in this day and age. Its time for terrorism to come to an end.
Blair was right to go to Iraq and we need to send more troops along with the US, Germany and Russia to end the constant threat that is present in Iraq, Iran and Saudi etc.
Also, the sheria law governing countries needs to be stopped immediatly. How can a law that was created over 1400 years ago enforce society in this day and age, that is worrying.
Back to the Islamic Britain point, i welcome immigrants in this country no matter what anyone says they have improved and stabalised this economy. However i would prefer the immigrants to be eastern European, South American, or from anywhere thats not islamic. Hindus can show how islamic people can be westernised and relaxed about their religion.

What the cock?

1) Henry the VIII? And yet you speak of backwards barbarism. Tsk.
2) Catholics? You mean the people stopping contraception in sub-saharan Africa which is leading to millions of deaths in North Africa, and only admitted the world went round the sun 20 years ago...?
3) There are many countries who practice one form of Sharia law or another. How do you intend to stop them?
4) Hindus show that Islamic people can be westernised? What does Hinduism have to do with Islam?
Reply 29
abu_afak
Londonistan
Melanie Phillips

The worst book ever written. Fact. But then what else do you expect from someone who writes in the Daily Fascist...sorry I meant Mail.
Oh, come on. In this day and age, how can you claim there is just one Worst Book Ever? This time next year, there will be seven. Honestly, you're such a fundamentalist. :p:

Seriously, the biggest threat our society faces is not that of Muslims or Christians, but of nasty people.
Reply 31
I only read political orientated books. My mistake, I should have said the worst book I've ever read. I'm sure there are worse that I haven't bothered reading.
:cool:
gas_panic!
I'll be sure to have emmigrated/seeked asylum in another country by the time it happens.

Lol, ditto. I'm thinking Australia. How about you?
When I asked Stim what Hindus have to do with Muslims, I got a PM back from Stim90 saying that they "look similar". I wish I was joking :frown:
ForeverIsMyName
When I asked Stim what Hindus have to do with Muslims, I got a PM back from Stim90 saying that they "look similar". I wish I was joking :frown:

thats fu kin racist, ne ways Islam is the fastest growing religion because its a TRUE religion. and talking about those terriorist they are wrong i accept that but look at their point of view, they are fighting for freedom. In their own country they are treated like slaves and robbed by those american. All the petrol that belongs to them, they are supposed to be rich but they are getting con by those americans.
bluff master
thats fu kin racist, ne ways Islam is the fastest growing religion because its a TRUE religion. and talking about those terriorist they are wrong i accept that but look at their point of view, they are fighting for freedom. In their own country they are treated like slaves and robbed by those american. All the petrol that belongs to them, they are supposed to be rich but they are getting con by those americans.

*Sigh*
He's bluffing.
I wish.

Latest

Trending

Trending