The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Or how many underage girls get executed for defending themselves against would-be rapists.
Reply 461
poppyache
now, i have to say,i had to look up some of those words. please can you explain what caliphate means?
You found TSR. I assume you can Google.

poppyache
i dont know of any. but there are definatly heavily religious countries such as Greece where homosexuality is still illegal. my point is that both religions have extreme views, but christianity has been developed/ignored in order to improve our society. i dont see why this wouldnt happen if islam were to become dominant..."
You mean like in countries where Islam is secure and 100%; like the Apartheid Police state.. Sharia Arabia.
Or Iran where 4000 people have been killed for being Gay since true Islam took over.
Reply 462
Islam does appear more extremeist, more backwards and less tolerant than other religions. I know we should all exercise tolerance even to people who make hold opinions that appear backwards compared to ours. But a lot of the fundamenetal ideas, such as the control of women and hatred of homosexuality, is exactly what I think the west is moving against. How can those two cultures live side by side
Reply 463
I think it's more to do with the actual interpretations of religious text and the cultures they are found in, than the actualy theology of the religion.

Certainly the Bible can be seen as 'anti-homosexual' and 'anti-female', but because Christianity is perdominant in relatively liberal cultures, the effect of such passages is limited.
Reply 464
abu_afak
You found TSR. I assume you can Google.

i did. i didnt understand the definitions, i didn't think he would mind explaining- i apologise if my ignorance offends you.
abu_afak
You mean like in countries where Islam is secure and 100%; like the Apartheid Police state.. Sharia Arabia.
Or Iran where 4000 people have been killed for being Gay since true Islam took over.

no i dont mean that. i mean if islam where to become more dominant in our western society.not secure or 100%, IMO thats not going to happen in britain. its horrific that so many people are being persecuted, and i doubt that britain would move backwards enough to echo the sharia arabia situation.
Reply 465
Carl
^Homosexual sex was decriminalized in 1951 by the new Criminal Code adopted in 1950

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_rights_in_Greece

thankyou, my source was obviously wrong.
Wez
I think it's more to do with the actual interpretations of religious text and the cultures they are found in, than the actualy theology of the religion.

Certainly the Bible can be seen as 'anti-homosexual' and 'anti-female', but because Christianity is perdominant in relatively liberal cultures, the effect of such passages is limited.

True, I don't think any holy book is inherently more violent than any other one. The merging of Islam with the Arab culture, and the fact that Arab culture is still based on the social norms of several centuries ago, does mean that Islam will be interpreted in a way that's far less liberal than the other major religions.
Reply 467
poppyache

no i dont mean that. i mean if islam where to become more dominant in our western society.not secure or 100%, IMO thats not going to happen in britain. its horrific that so many people are being persecuted, and i doubt that britain would move backwards enough to echo the sharia arabia situation.
I think the opposite.

[....]

What about the Africanized Honey Bee?

The Africanized honey bee (AHB) is a more recent addition to our state. It is known as the more aggressive relative of the European honey bee (EHB). The AHB has taken an interesting path to become established in Southern California.

When EHB's were brought here by colonists, they survived quite well in North America and were good honey producers. However, they did not fare as well in the tropical climate of South America. This habitat was very different than Europe where the EHB's evolved.

Honey bees from Africa thrive in tropical climates. These bees are also very aggressive in their defensive behavior. In 1956, African honey bees (Apis mellifera scutellata) were imported from Tanzania (Africa) to Brazil (South America) as a way to increase honey production.

It was THOUGHT that by cross-breeding the African honey bees with the EHBs, they could produce a bee that would thrive in the tropics like the African honey bee but with the more docile nature of the EHB.

UNORTUNATELY, they were unable to produce a mix that was easy for beekeepers to work with and still do well in the tropics. All the Hybrid Bees Retained the African Bees Aggressive Behavior.
This mix between the African honey bee and EHB was labeled the "Africanized honey bee" (AHB).

In 1957, these AHBs escaped from an apiary near Rio Claro, Sao Paulo, Brazil, and have spread northward ever since. Not only does this hybrid bee spread through swarming, it also interbreeds with EHBs in new areas.
The offspring of these bees are also considered "Africanized" and the Less Aggressive EHBs Gradually Disappear.

[...]
http://www.lawestvector.org/beebiology.htm
It will be interesting to see how Islamic culture in Britain develops. At the moment it seems quite radical and extreme but in fifty years who knows?
Reply 469
abu_afak
I think the opposite.

you are comparing bees and people.peopel are just that little bit more sophistaicted. even if cant do a waggle dance.
If in doubt, keep them out.
Original post by poppyache
you are comparing bees and people.peopel are just that little bit more sophistaicted. even if cant do a waggle dance.

I don't think that's relevant. Have you considered any side effects that may arise from your proposition?
If in doubt, revive a thread from 5 years ago.
Original post by Notethis
If in doubt, revive a thread from 5 years ago.

Joan of Arc was nothing but a pretentious lesbian, South America would have been far better off without interference by marketing.
Original post by True Christian
If in doubt, keep them out.

what the ****, dude?
Original post by + polarity -
what the ****, dude?

Don't mind him. He suffers from quite an unfortunate mental affliction.
Original post by Sammydemon
Don't mind him. He suffers from quite an unfortunate mental affliction.

As a cheap alternative to carpeted floors, try stapling carpet samples to your slippers.
Reply 477
Once it gets to about 10-15% im out of here, no way am I waiting around for laws to change and Heejabs become mandatory.
Original post by DZJX
Once it gets to about 10-15% im out of here, no way am I waiting around for laws to change and Heejabs become mandatory.

Welcome to the past my friend.

Latest

Trending

Trending