The Student Room Group

Work colleague just tried to kill himself- colleagues uncaring and insensitive

Hey all,

Basically, a work colleague of mine tried to overdose on paracetamol, because of situations regarding his job, and his living-in situation.

He was a 54 year old man, didn't have many friends- was a loner, and indeed lonely. He didn't have the most favourable appearance, and thus faced a lot of abuse, victimisation and name calling.

Many of the female staff called him 'creepy'. When he was nice, people used to ridicule him (take the piss). I believe all he wanted was some compassion, and so he used to buy all the young girls drinks, purely because he wanted to feel loved. In the end, they just used to 'fleece him'- to get free drinks, and be seen to be nice to him. All the while, being nice to his face.

He had never spoken of his family, and when he did it was just to say how dysfunctional they were. He never spoke of having a girlfriend ever in his youth.
He had no possessions, (other than what the company provided), and no money, no pension. He lived in a dingy room (in the hotel) on company site for 20years.

It is a sad state of affairs really. Although he did do a few bad things. Like fiddled his time sheet at work and use bad language, I feel he did this because he became bitter and hated the company. So my mum had to sack him, (as his boss). The big boss had to be persuaded by my mum initially for his to stay, (so my mum saved him-- and many times throughout his employment).

In the end, push came to shove, he didn't turn in; so they fired him. Gave him a few days notice (which is wrong). The big boss well and truly screwed him over (shes an evil person).

Yesterday he came staggering in my house having taken 96 paracetamol. My mum had to go to hospital with him. He's being detained. My mum rang the big boss...and all that she could say was: "What are you doing there with him!?? We've sacked him, he's not our responsibility!!" Like what the hell!

Were we supposed to leave him dying on our floor. Today, I hear people slandering him at work-- whilst some moan for him, despite taking the piss out of him at other times. Why are people so uncaring and hypocritical??

Its shocked me to the core.
This is really horrible - I'm so sorry :frown: At the end of the day, there are just some very, very horrible people in this world that act in ways that, honestly, it's pretty difficult to understand. You don't need to understand why they did what they did because people like that are sort of beyond the point of being able to figure them out. As sad as it is, it's happened now. The thing to note though is that you can have a clear conscience because you and your mother did everything that you could. It's just a very negative situation and my thoughts go out to the guy.
Reply 2
It sounds like the company is partial responsible for his breakdown.

I would be questioning how a company could justify turning it's back on an employee to such a degree they try to kill themselves.

Do you think maybe you should of been more vocal in your support of this chap?
yeah you surprisingly get a lot of girls that will call unattractive guys "creeps" because they are nice to them

obviously this guy needs help and hopefully he will get it after this incident
Why do you care so much?
what a sad thread
There's a lot of people who are selfish.

I'm sorry to admit that I'm one of them.

If I hear news and I can't think of why it's relevant to me, I don't really care. Regardless of what it is. I personally like it this way, because it means that I always have good days, and things like this don't upset me or bother, so I have a care free life, enjoy my life and always smiling. It works for me, so it's whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending