The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Endcliffe or City for international students?

Hi!

I know it is the same question again, but I want to make sure of it. I am international student (from Spain) and I have been given an unconditional offer to study Aerospace Engineering in Sheffield next year.

I am looking for accommodation and I am considering Endcliffe and City. I have discarded Ranmoor because I have heard that it is more quiet and a bit boring. I love social life and being surrounded by people, and that's why Endcliffe catches my attention. However, I heard that City is full of international students. I am afraid of staying isolated if everyone in Endcliffe are native people.

How is City? Is it quiet, as Ranmoor, or there is active social and night life as in Endcliffe?

Thank you very much for your advises!
(edited 8 years ago)
When they say internationals live in City what they really mean is students who aren't from Western Europe or the Anglosphere, and to be honest it's not that true. If you really want to meet people from home there's a Spanish society you can join :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
When they say internationals live in City what they really mean is students who aren't from Western Europe or the Anglosphere, and to be honest it's not that true. If you really want to meet people from home there's a Spanish society you can join :smile:

Thanks for you answer! Then, would you personally recommend Endcliffe or City? The other thing that worries me is whether or not Endcliffe is too far from the campus.

thanks!
Original post by fabarzuza
Thanks for you answer! Then, would you personally recommend Endcliffe or City? The other thing that worries me is whether or not Endcliffe is too far from the campus.

thanks!

If I had to choose again I'd go with Endcliffe, I'm in first year now (did a foundation year last year) and I currently live in a flat which might as well be City and I'd say I miss walking there and back as you get to talk to people and know them better. In City, being close to everything can also become a problem as you get accustomed to short walks, so if you have to walk a bit further it becomes a bit of a hassle.

Also I'm first year aerospace so feel free to ask any questions about the course :smile:
Reply 4
If I had to choose again I'd go with Endcliffe, I'm in first year now (did a foundation year last year) and I currently live in a flat which might as well be City and I'd say I miss walking there and back as you get to talk to people and know them better. In City, being close to everything can also become a problem as you get accustomed to short walks, so if you have to walk a bit further it becomes a bit of a hassle.

Also I'm first year aerospace so feel free to ask any questions about the course :smile:

Thanks for your advise, I have chosen Endcliffe :smile:

I have studied 1st year of aerospace engineering here in Barcelona but my university is simply horrible so I am moving to Sheffield and starting again from 1st year. I have lots of questions! hahahah.

Is it hard? Is there practical work or there is much theory learning? How are the facilities? And finally, how are the teachers in aerospace?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Thanks for your advise, I have chosen Endcliffe :smile:

I have studied 1st year of aerospace engineering here in Barcelona but my university is simply horrible so I am moving to Sheffield and starting again from 1st year. I have lots of questions! hahahah.

Is it hard? Is there practical work or there is much theory learning? How are the facilities? And finally, how are the teachers in aerospace?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I wouldn't say it's particularly hard but best wait until after exams to tell. The course so far is very much theory based, there's some practical work but from what I understand you don't really get into it until third year unless you do Simurq (society which does aerospace building projects), most of the practical stuff we do now is just lab assessments and occasionally matlab.

Facilities are decent, should be better next year with the new Diamond building, but at the moment the lab equipment available is generally poor. For teachers, some are good like Mitchell (EEE), Dean (MAT) and Willerton (Maths) in first semester, Monk (Maths), Anderson (ACS) and Beck (MEC192) in second, some bad, Palmiere for MAT, Jewell for EEE and Mazza for MEC194, the ok, Hand and Travis, both MEC192 and the controversial (Dodd for Aerospace, who's a great lecturer but you'll have a bad time if you try to ask him something, and Rossiter for ACS who requires independent learning which some people find difficult adjusting to.).
Reply 6
I wouldn't say it's particularly hard but best wait until after exams to tell. The course so far is very much theory based, there's some practical work but from what I understand you don't really get into it until third year unless you do Simurq (society which does aerospace building projects), most of the practical stuff we do now is just lab assessments and occasionally matlab.

Facilities are decent, should be better next year with the new Diamond building, but at the moment the lab equipment available is generally poor. For teachers, some are good like Mitchell (EEE), Dean (MAT) and Willerton (Maths) in first semester, Monk (Maths), Anderson (ACS) and Beck (MEC192) in second, some bad, Palmiere for MAT, Jewell for EEE and Mazza for MEC194, the ok, Hand and Travis, both MEC192 and the controversial (Dodd for Aerospace, who's a great lecturer but you'll have a bad time if you try to ask him something, and Rossiter for ACS who requires independent learning which some people find difficult adjusting to.).

Thanks for your reply! I have another question (the last one :smile: ). What do you know about the Pilot Private Instruction course? Is it worth? Is it possible to obtain a Private Pilot License later on?

Thank you again!
Thanks for your reply! I have another question (the last one :smile: ). What do you know about the Pilot Private Instruction course? Is it worth? Is it possible to obtain a Private Pilot License later on?

Thank you again!

It's definitely good value for money but wait until semester 2 of first year to decide if you want to do it. The 10 flight hours counts towards a PPL and the theory you do also does, but quickly after starting the course a lot of people drop the idea of becoming a pilot of any kind, and you also have to think about whether you will have the finances for another 30-40 hours of flight time any time soon. It also displaces a 10 credit module in year 2 although that's probably not too much of an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending