The Student Room Group

Thermistor circuit setup help!!!

Is this a valid circuit set-up to investigate how resistance in a thermistor is affected by a temperature and also what is the purpose of the external load resistance?(is the external load resistance necessary?)

Here is the circuit:
http://prntscr.com/768ux2

sorry im terrible with circuits any help i'd appreciate really much
Reply 1
I'm assuming this is part of a 6 marker? you need some means of altering/measuring the temperature- a water bath and thermometer perhaps
Reply 2
Original post by Nels98
I'm assuming this is part of a 6 marker? you need some means of altering/measuring the temperature- a water bath and thermometer perhaps

Yeaah it's part of a six marker :s-smilie: but would the circuit I drew up there work? Also could you perhaps explain why there would be an external resistor?
Reply 3
Original post by 1017bsquad
Yeaah it's part of a six marker :s-smilie: but would the circuit I drew up there work? Also could you perhaps explain why there would be an external resistor?

yeh it would work. the need for the other resistor is so that the voltage can differ as in series the voltages across each component must add up to the emf (assuming no internal resistance). if it wasn't there then i don't the the voltage would change? i think it acts as a voltage divider.
Reply 4
not 100% though- I've done that paper before and pretty sure i dropped that mark then never really understood it as the mark scheme is useless
Reply 5
Original post by Nels98
not 100% though- I've done that paper before and pretty sure i dropped that mark then never really understood it as the mark scheme is useless

Thanks man, appreciate your input I will look into it more :P

Quick Reply

Latest