The Student Room Group

English Literature exam tomorrow.. Unprepared!

Hi, I have an English Literature GCSE exam tomorrow and I am so so unprepared. I've studied and studied, but I just don't feel like I'm prepared. My English Teacher has been so supportive with me, but I just don't know. My target is a Grade B and I really want to achieve this. I'm studying To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Inspector Calls by J.B Priestly. Does anyone have any tips how to write the answers, especially for To Kill A Mockingbird, or any websites where they show sample answers? It's 45 minutes for section A and B so need enough to write.
Any help would be extremely grateful:smile:
Reply 1
I'm not doing Inspector Calls so i can't help you specifically but am TKAM.
With TKAM, remember that the second part focuses a lot on context and as long as you mention it several times in your essay u should get a high band for that assessment objective (AO4) i think. Otherwise, know page numbers and quotes because that will help you to save time as the book is really long and its always quite hard to find quotes.
But in both questions, include as much language analysis as possible. Mention the structure of the novel/play and form coz that gets you good marks, and analyse them as much as possible as if u were analysing a poem from the poetry exam. It means u give more detail and if u can, include alternative interpretations coz those get high bands as it is considered to be "exploratory". Pick out words from quutes, don't always analyse the quote as a whole - thats considered to be "exploratory" as well

Hope this helps, i have my exam tomorrow too and don't feel like revising at all coz i hate english but ahh well. Good luck in your exam, hope it goes well!
Reply 2
I've started writing about how Lee presents Bob Ewell in the Tom Robinson's trial when Atticus questions him, but I've come up with the language feature of repetition but I've said what it does and quoted it, but how do I explain in it?
I'm so scared.
Thank you for your help and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending